Sons' sorrow

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Oh aye, we’ll 100% replace Crighton, but even after we do our backup option when Durnan inevitably has a spell on the sidelines will be a square peg in a round hole. The best option will most likely be Shiels but that will involve weakening us in another area of the pitch. Instead of signing Cammy Clarke for example I’d much rather we had signed a dedicated centre back.

I'm fine with Clark being here but there's absolutely no need for both Div Wilson and Ryan Blair in the squad. I'd have probably moved Wilson on for better defensive cover.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm fine with Clark being here but there's absolutely no need for both Div Wilson and Ryan Blair in the squad. I'd have probably moved Wilson on for better defensive cover.

Aye that would be the ideal scenario but I’m not sure how easy that is when we’re chucking guys like that 2 year deals.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Oh aye, we’ll 100% replace Crighton, but even after we do our backup option when Durnan inevitably has a spell on the sidelines will be a square peg in a round hole. The best option will most likely be Shiels but that will involve weakening us in another area of the pitch. Instead of signing Cammy Clarke for example I’d much rather we had signed a dedicated centre back.

Is Mikey Miller not that 3rd natural CB option? Haven’t seen much of him the last few years but always thought he was equally capable at CB as he was in midfield. 

That gives us Durnan, new CB and Miller with back up options of Niang, Clark, Shiels and Lynas.

Overall, we’ve got a fairly small but versatile squad. My only worry is what happens when guys get injured / suspended and we start shifting bodies around to cover. Type of thing that really disrupts rhythm.

Posted (edited)

We've been drawn at home to Berwick Rangers or St Mirren b in the 2nd round of the challenge cup. Hopefully Berwick.

Edited by microdave

24 minutes ago, microdave said:

We've been drawn at home to Berwick Rangers or St Mirren b in the 2nd round of the challenge cup. Hopefully Berwick.

Hopefully we take the competition more seriously this year 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I hope we dont. Send out the u20’s and treat this sham of a competition with contempt it deserves. 

Did you say that when you went to the final 

1 hour ago, kenrobell said:

Did you say that when you went to the final 

Whilst that cup run provided good memories the fact that this cup is still plagued with B teams is an absolute farce. Anything that facilitates them should be boycotted by our fans and treated with contempt by our club.

I’d take the death of B teams/colts every day of the week over a day in the sun for supporters.

I thought we took it fairly seriously last year. We put out a strong side against Kelty, missed a stupendous amount of chances and conceded one of the most comical goals I've ever seen us lose. But the performance on the day was really decent.

But in terms of priorities it's right at the bottom. Survival, Scottish Cup, League Cup...Large gap. Challenge Cup and Stirlingshire Cup.

I remeber my first game at dumbarton early 60's think it was qos  and remember the promotion game against berwick rangers we celebrated in the pine trees then went to the dfc social club but couldnt get in cos it was full

8 minutes ago, HIGHLANDER2 said:

I remeber my first game at dumbarton early 60's think it was qos  and remember the promotion game against berwick rangers we celebrated in the pine trees then went to the dfc social club but couldnt get in cos it was full

You may enjoy this... with thanks to The Cardross Wee Man.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/oc4Whkxbm3xDDqBG/

1 hour ago, HIGHLANDER2 said:

How many of you in here actually live in Dumbarton. I'm from Dumbarton but been living up north since 1979 . Only manage a few games a year

Used to live in Dumbarton circa 15 years ago. Now within the urban conurbation of 5 towns and villages collectively known as the Vale of Leven.

Where 'up North' are you? I lived partly in Rosshire as a yoof.