Sons' sorrow

Murray shows a bit of inexperience in the interview. Why not just say that he'll bring in an assistant when the right person becomes available instead of putting a definite time scale on it? Unless he has someone in mind who is currently under contract? We have got a first team coach who is getting good reviews, is he perhaps in line for the job?

As for the playing squad, I make it we have 22 players when Petrie is included. Gilhaney it seems is back from injury with Kirkpatrick being available for the Cowden game. We are covered pretty well for most positions except up front. We only have three players listed on the squad as 'strikers' (one of whom is Mitch Megginson who hasn't started a game as a striker this season) although Garry Fleming, listed as a midfielder could be either.

So we have four (aye four) keepers, seven defenders, eight midfield players and three strikers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who our 'one more signing' should be.

We've let four players go and brought in three with one more apparently to come, so equilibrium is maintained. Of the four who have left only one was getting a game and that was a striker who had managed two goals in all his numerous starts. Or to put it another way, double the total of McCallum who has had 11 minutes participation.

My main concern is that 3-5-2 is seen as a formation to frustrate the opposing team, not allowing them to play.

Ian, it isn't working. It might not even work against Nish.

Yes it is that bad.

It should be noted that the departing Davie's weren't paid anything by the club, so that's not cost cutting (Gilbert taking over and I assume he's not being paid more for it). To me, it looks like Muzz is having the clear out he should have had in the summer and he's finding it difficult to find replacements at this time in the season. The blame lies at Murray's door for the squad depth.

I do question what's gone on in the last week and whether or not this apparent crisis at the club could have been avoided. We're told that Gervaise handed in his month's notice at the turn of the New Year (and will leave at the start of February). Optimistic on here said that Prophet and the club were aware that he'd be stepping down months ago. As far as I'm aware Nish has been punted due to him being an arsehole (and shite at football) rather than him quitting over the assistant managers job. All this news coming out at once looks bad and I understand why some fans think it looks like we're cutting costs. To me, the news could have been spread out over the last couple of months and nobody would be hitting the panic button. Organisation doesn't seem to be our thing though, unfortunately.

It's a worry for me if Murray isn't looking for an assistant but that's just about where my worry ends. Are we struggling for cash? Probably, there's likely not a part-time team in the country that isn't though. A statement on whether or not Bet Butler owe us any money would be nice, but I'd suggest the silence on that issue suggests they do.

It should also be noted that today is the day the Scottish Government basically decide if our new stadium can go ahead or not...

4-6-0.

EDIT - To be fair, we're not really. Mitch and Archie are both strikers and with us bringing in Easton and Petrie they may well be used on the wings to allow Archie and Mitch top move up top. Not ideal I agree but we do have an option.

Edited by The Moonster

It should be noted that the departing Davie's weren't paid anything by the club, so that's not cost cutting (Gilbert taking over and I assume he's not being paid more for it). To me, it looks like Muzz is having the clear out he should have had in the summer and he's finding it difficult to find replacements at this time in the season. The blame lies at Murray's door for the squad depth.

I do question what's gone on in the last week and whether or not this apparent crisis at the club could have been avoided. We're told that Gervaise handed in his month's notice at the turn of the New Year (and will leave at the start of February). Optimistic on here said that Prophet and the club were aware that he'd be stepping down months ago. As far as I'm aware Nish has been punted due to him being an arsehole (and shite at football) rather than him quitting over the assistant managers job. All this news coming out at once looks bad and I understand why some fans think it looks like we're cutting costs. To me, the news could have been spread out over the last couple of months and nobody would be hitting the panic button. Organisation doesn't seem to be our thing though, unfortunately.

It's a worry for me if Murray isn't looking for an assistant but that's just about where my worry ends. Are we struggling for cash? Probably, there's likely not a part-time team in the country that isn't though. A statement on whether or not Bet Butler owe us any money would be nice, but I'd suggest the silence on that issue suggests they do.

It should also be noted that today is the day the Scottish Government basically decide if our new stadium can go ahead or not...

Thye word on the fish counter is that the designation of the land WILL be altered from green belt. However, that stops way short of any bricks being laid as there are plenty of other considerations in play, and to be honest I feel that this project remains very much up in the air.

As fans we should obviously keep a keen eye on this, but we should also be prepared for other scenarios like what would Brabco do vis-a-vis DFC should their plans come to nought, still very much a possibility.

4-6-0.

EDIT - To be fair, we're not really. Mitch and Archie are both strikers and with us bringing in Easton and Petrie they may well be used on the wings to allow Archie and Mitch top move up top. Not ideal I agree but we do have an option.

I paid over £500 travelling to Prague to see Levein's glorious tactical wizardry so the short jaunt to Falkirk for some of the same wouldn't seem so bad. Although I suspect we'll through Archie up front and hope for the best but I'm not letting that small possibility get in the way of having another dig at the incompetent Levein.

I'm another who isn't filled with confidence at the prospect of no assistant manager. Murray has shown naivety in the past and I feel he benefitted greatly from having Ross alongside him. That's not to take away from his achievements to date but it's a valid concern.

Another striker required in the next 48hrs but I can't see it happening at this late stage.

If you say so mate.

I'm with you on this Jordo.

I spent well in excess of this (many times in excess) to go to the World Cup in Spain in 82 to watch Scotland play and consider it not only money well spent but one of the greatest experiences of my life (shame about the results though). Whenever I hear people talk about World Cups and the 82 WC in particular, I chuckle inside because I know what is was like to be there and I don't consider it "stupid" to pay that money to support my country.

Putting a fiscal value on how much it costs you to go to games is a pretty cunty thing to do tbh.

Edit: you went for the experience. Somehow I doubt the football had much of an impact on that. Coming on and moaning about how much it cost you blah blah is just daft.

Edited by Muzza81

Putting a fiscal value on how much it costs you to go to games is a pretty cunty thing to do tbh.

Edit: you went for the experience. Somehow I doubt the football had much of an impact on that. Coming on and moaning about how much it cost you blah blah is just daft.

That's enough internet today for you. Shouldn't you be outside barking at the moon? I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Darren Petrie is from the same football factory as Ryan Gauld - can he earn a new deal there? Full interview now on The Dumbarton Terrace: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/darrens-place-at-the-football-factory/

Ah the words we were all hoping for; "And I can also play left back".