Sons' sorrow

I think the problem with that johnny is that the club are restricted by what the police will and won't allow. I think that the police have over-reacted massively this season to the prospect of our category A games and that has resulted in the club being overly cautious. Given the likelihood of more category A games next season, its an area we can improve on.

Completely agree here, the police in Dumbarton seem to go mental when there's even a hint of an issue at football (and even when there's not). I remember a game with Hamilton 2 seasons ago and the police were everywhere, came into the Stags no less than 3 times in the 2 and a half hours we were in there. I think they need to re-evaluate the processes they've put in place but I fear they may say that these processes stopped any hassle, which is madness. I don't see why on the day of the game the club and police can't get together and come to an arrangement to let walk up fans in if we've only sold half the ground. Maybe have a club official selling them on Castle road if they must keep that ridiculous closure in place.

Was there not fighting or an assualt at D.East that day Moonster? the 4-1 game at the end of last season?

Different game, the 3-3 game (first game we played Hamilton down the Rock since coming up) was the one I was talking about. But yes, I believe some Hamilton fans were hitting cars/people after the 4-1 game. Still, a couple of raging wee neds shouldn't require the police presence there has been at some games.

I should add as well by the way that the police had tried to have the Stags serve their drinks in plastic cups when Hearts/Rangers came to town. Just not required at all.

Edited by The Moonster

The police are so out of touch with reality it's frightening. They must waste a monumental amount of resource on policing Dumbarton games, do we foot the bill for their ludicrous paranoia and decision making?

The have forced the Stags Head and even the Co-op into having stewards on the door for category A games. Thankfully the Stags Head told them where to go when they demanded plastic cups be used instead of glasses. What's the need for this? Do they realise we are Dumbarton FC or do they think they are policing an Old Firm encounter?

I see numerous police floating about our games, hands in pockets, picking up the easiest wage they will earn in their puff. I even seen two of the c***s patrolling our Stirlingshire Cup game. Overkill at it's finest by Strathclydes finest.

I'd love it if they could review their policy on Dumbarton games and I'd love it even more if the club would challenge them into doing it. Surely to god there are far bigger issues to be dealing with in our local area than searching 14 year old Hamilton fans because they are wearing Addidas trainers and Fred Perry jaikets?

The police are so out of touch with reality it's frightening. They must waste a monumental amount of resource on policing Dumbarton games, do we foot the bill for their ludicrous paranoia and decision making?

The have forced the Stags Head and even the Co-op into having stewards on the door for category A games. Thankfully the Stags Head told them where to go when they demanded plastic cups be used instead of glasses. What's the need for this? Do they realise we are Dumbarton FC or do they think they are policing an Old Firm encounter?

I see numerous police floating about our games, hands in pockets, picking up the easiest wage they will earn in their puff. I even seen two of the c***s patrolling our Stirlingshire Cup game. Overkill at it's finest by Strathclydes finest.

I'd love it if they could review their policy on Dumbarton games and I'd love it even more if the club would challenge them into doing it. Surely to god there are far bigger issues to be dealing with in our local area than searching 14 year old Hamilton fans because they are wearing Addidas trainers and Fred Perry jaikets?

despite what it said on website, Castle Street actually wasnt closed last night, so perhaps common sense prevailed

I also heard people being turned away as I was walking to the stadium. Couple of older gents who probably dont tend to check the Twitter, Facebook or OS for ticketing info. What sort of riot will break out if these folk are able to pay their way into the game?

I've been able to pay into Tynecastle and Easter Road this year where there are far more fans than at the Rock. It's mind boggling that the police wont allow us to have a pay gate or facility for selling tickets right up until kick off.

I almost wish something would kick off so we can watch the lazy shitebags run a mile at the prospect of having to do something.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

The police allowed us to sell tickets up to an hour before kick off for the Hibs games when it became clear that they wouldn't sell out. Cash turnstiles were still a no no - and we had 1500/2000 empty 'seats'. Makes no sense.

There was an idiot beside me today that after alloas second said "we are losing this cause the team is full of loanees not playing for a contract." Ridiculous statement.

We had 3 loanees on. Our player of the season (he will win it), findlay - who has been incredible, and Petrie - who I'm not convinced by.

I thought Petrie was meant to be a tough tackler? Lightweight as they come.

If proof were ever needed that a lot of hard decisions need to be made at DFC regarding next season - both on and off the park - then today at Alloa (again) provided grimly graphic proof.

A team seemingly devoid of organisation, physical presence and motivation is limping out of this season, and we've got to hope that changes lie ahead this summer.

If proof were ever needed that a lot of hard decisions need to be made at DFC regarding next season - both on and off the park - then today at Alloa (again) provided grimly graphic proof.

A team seemingly devoid of organisation, physical presence and motivation is limping out of this season, and we've got to hope that changes lie ahead this summer.

It feels like we've limped through the whole season. It's the first time in a wee while I've not looked forward to watching us play, dull one-dimensional football and a chronic lack of effort.

Organisation, motivation and selection are all mainly managerial issues, are you suggesting the management is an area needing a hard decision?

I never made it today, but you do wonder if a loanee can fully commit this close to returning to his parent club.

For me this season the players we've signed on loan have improved us. I think we ve had rogers, mcdonald, findlay, easton, kane, petrie and duggan in on loan. I'm not against using the loan system, but what does this number of loanees say about the original/current squad or our lauded ydi?

It feels like we've limped through the whole season. It's the first time in a wee while I've not looked forward to watching us play, dull one-dimensional football and a chronic lack of effort.

honestly, i checked the twitter feed on wednesday to ensure findlay was playing before deciding to go. Aye, i was in the middle of something, but its not the first time this season the game has dropped out. I was happy with our efforts on Wed night, but in far too many other games we've been set up really reaaly cautious, almost fearful by the manager.

Get about the players again this week, set them up to have a go and see what we get against rangers.

Organisation, motivation and selection are all mainly managerial issues, are you suggesting the management is an area needing a hard decision?

I never made it today, but you do wonder if a loanee can fully commit this close to returning to his parent club.

For me this season the players we've signed on loan have improved us. I think we ve had rogers, mcdonald, findlay, easton, kane, petrie and duggan in on loan. I'm not against using the loan system, but what does this number of loanees say about the original/current squad or our lauded ydi?

I am indeed raising questions about Ian Murray's position. He has done very, very well at DFC but I'm now wondering if he has in reality achieved all he can here, and whether he has the appetite for building a team for next season, because that's what we're looking at.

IMO the Board should be as of now discussing the situation with IM in a measured manner in order that we plan accordingly. The record books will show the raw statistics and I suppose that's all that matters, but the reality has been some vital wins, often against the run of play, surrounded by a lot of mediocrity..

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

I am indeed raising questions about Ian Murray's position. He has done very, very well at DFC but I'm now wondering if he has in reality achieved all he can here, and whether he has the appetite for building a team for next season, because that's what we're looking at.

IMO the Board should be as of now discussing the situation with IM in a measured manner in order that we plan accordingly. The record books will show the raw statistics and I suppose that's all that matters, but the reality has been some vital wins, often against the run of play, surrounded by a lot of mediocrity..

Its difficult.

Murray is undoubtedly a manager with the potential to go further in the game. The main job at Dumbarton is to keep us safe in the Championship and that's what he's done. Mission accomplished.

For me its down to whether or not Murray wants to be involved to a greater degree. I'd like to see us improve our youth development but that needs commitment from the manager to give youth a chance. If Murray has no interest in it then he's not going to do it.

And that's where the problem comes for me. I'm sure fans would forgive the Cowden and Alloa results if we'd been playing a couple of youngsters to give them some first team experience. The problem is that we weren't. I know you owe a professional courtesy to every team in the league to keep trying til the end of the season but would playing a couple of youngsters be any worse than having a squad who have one eye on the holiday brochures?

I'd like to see Murray make more of a commitment to trying to help the club develop it's youngsters. Running a short bench in some games this season was disappointing.

Interesting points BSF and I don't disagree with a lot of it but I think for that to happen Murray would need to have long term ambitions at this club and I don't see that being the case. He's made it no secret from the off that he hopes to do well here and move into full time. He's done very well here and there is a part of me that feels the time is right for him to move on and if he ended up at St Mirren it wouldn't surprise me.

We have an interesting summer ahead anyway, no matter who's in charge.