Sons' sorrow

According to your website we've signed Gordon Smith on loan from you until mid January. Any good? Can't say I remember him from the matches against us but I only made a couple over the last few seasons.

According to your website we've signed Gordon Smith on loan from you until mid January. Any good? Can't say I remember him from the matches against us but I only made a couple over the last few seasons.

Meh, never really looked up to this level in his limited game time. I get the feeling he has some ability, but it's quite well hidden. Seems very lightweight.

He looked pretty hopeless tbh, not disappointed to see him leave.

Would've rathered he was released and Miller put out on loan.

No disrespect to either player, but we shouldn't be signing players from queens park and stirling albion.

Now we've probably had to pay one off and no doubt will be paying a bit of smiths pay till january at least. I appreciate we needed players in, but these guys will have been told that they would be squad players pushing for the first team about two months ago. Aye, Aitken seems to be decisive about ditching players, but he may also have done himself a diservice in signing players and giving them false hope.

No disrespect to either player, but we shouldn't be signing players from queens park and stirling albion.

Now we've probably had to pay one off and no doubt will be paying a bit of smiths pay till january at least. I appreciate we needed players in, but these guys will have been told that they would be squad players pushing for the first team about two months ago. Aye, Aitken seems to be decisive about ditching players, but he may also have done himself a diservice in signing players and giving them false hope.

Smith would not get a game on a Wednesday night eck!!

Paul McGinn, Andy Robertson, Barry Douglas, Lawrence Shankland, Blair Spittal and Aiden Connolly are some of the players who very recently played for Queens Park. All of them playing for far bigger teams than ourself and forging pretty decent careers in football.

Absolutely no issues signing players from teams like Queens Park and Stirling if they are good enough. Unfortunately Smith wasn't and Miller never really got a chance.

Paul McGinn, Andy Robertson, Barry Douglas, Lawrence Shankland, Blair Spittal and Aiden Connolly are some of the players who very recently played for Queens Park. All of them playing for far bigger teams than ourself and forging pretty decent careers in football.

Absolutely no issues signing players from teams like Queens Park and Stirling if they are good enough. Unfortunately Smith wasn't and Miller never really got a chance.

Was about to post exactly this, Neil Collins came from Queens Park and Garry Fleming from Irvine Meadow! Kevin Cawley joined Alloa from East Stirling, and Willie Gibson signed for Stranraer from the English 7th tier! I'd far rather sign players from down there with something to prove than Mark Wilson/Lee Mair/Van Zanten types looking for a retirement home.

We shouldn't be signing players from Queen's Park, but it's okay for bigger teams to sign from them? Even neill Collins was signed from Queen's Park.

Eta - beaten to it^^

Edited by Thommo90

He can't jump, run or win a ball. He constantly looks for fouls instead of trying to play the ball.

He's a shite footballer.

That's Nish I described. Smith will fit in perfectly with you lot, then.

In terms of transfers there are two types of manager. Those that jump at getting players in early and those that bide their time. Aitken is in the former and took a risk with miller which obviously didn't work out.

Cracking signing you lot have got in McGurn btw. Who'll be number 1 between him and Brennan?

Ok, all the queens park players others have quoted back are young boys, dont think miller or smith can be considered prospects at this stage in their careers. I'd accept queens have seen some young talent recently, but miller doesn't seem to fit that mould.

As for senior pro's looking for a retirement home; mark brown, big frazer and stevie craig have all played at a high level, do any of them seem to be here to watch the clock?

Listen tae Real Madrid here. Fancy comparing notes on players both our teams have produced in recent seasons?

Are you joking? A bit disrespectful to those clubs. We could be back down there in the not to distant future and Queens Park have produced an amazing array of talent in the past few years

Listen tae Real Madrid here. Fancy comparing notes on players both our teams have produced in recent seasons?

not really no. Queens are a good club focussed on developing players for the benefit of the player, club and game in that order i think. I ve a lot of respect for the young players that queens have produced and the scheme behind that player. But I dont consider Miller to be one of those players.

Queens good young players have all been spotted by teams above us in status and who perhaps could pay a development or transfer fee. the other queens players are not the sort of player i believe we should be signing.

Bbpf, do you think if Miller was a quality prospect Aitken would have continued to sign players for his position and not give him a start?

My point is that if he's not a quality prospect, we shouldn't have signed him.

not really no. Queens are a good club focussed on developing players for the benefit of the player, club and game in that order i think. I ve a lot of respect for the young players that queens have produced and the scheme behind that player. But I dont consider Miller to be one of those players.

Queens good young players have all been spotted by teams above us in status and who perhaps could pay a development or transfer fee. the other queens players are not the sort of player i believe we should be signing.

You said you shouldn't be signing players from us. Andy Robertson and Blair Spittal obviously wouldn't have been up to the mark for a side that we recently put out of a cup competition. To be fair, you look to be a lone zoomer among your fans, who were nothing but magnanimous towards us the other week.

Bbpf, do you think if Miller was a quality prospect Aitken would have continued to sign players for his position and not give him a start?

My point is that if he's not a quality prospect, we shouldn't have signed him.

I never seen him before he joined but he was in the League 2 team of the year last season and Faz described him as 'one for the future'.

To be fair your initial comment said we shouldn't be signing players from teams like Stirling and QP. You have explained yourself a bit better in the posts that followed.

I still don't think taking a punt on him was a bad move but Smith has always been hopeless. He should never have gotten a deal anywhere near our level.