Sons' sorrow

Aye, there is that, but there's a couple of ways at looking at this. Smith and Miller were signed at a stage when the squad was needing 'bulked' up, and it was something of a punt that hasn't worked out. As such their departure isn't really a surprise and has the virtue of settling the issue now.

Alternatively, they should not have been signed in the first place which rather brings into question the issue of judgement, and although I think it is the correct decision in terms of the squad, we really need to get any further signings to be better fits.

As for the money aspect, I suppose it all depends on the terms of contracts and whether a guy might be prepared to move on in every sense to get a regular game of football.

I reckon they were signed, as you said, when the squad required bulking in the hope they would come good. Unfortunately they never so they have been moved on for (hopefully) better options that have become available.

In an ideal world we'd get the signings right first time but as we all know players at this level can be a bit of a lottery at times. Murray used to do similar with the likes of Owen Ronald etc.

Probably quite a clever move if there are no issues in moving them on when better players become available.

Strange how Wright signing being mentioned in a couple of papers, and the st Johnstone manager saying he's coming to Dumbarton, yet not on our site yet,

I'd imagine we'll wait until the final bit of ink on the contract is dry, which will be whenever he can get it signed. We train tonight, so I'd imagine we'll find out then.

Strange how Wright signing being mentioned in a couple of papers, and the st Johnstone manager saying he's coming to Dumbarton, yet not on our site yet,

As we found out very recently it's daft to announce signings until the contract has been signed.

Training tonight so maybe we'll see something later.

Miller is a strange one for me. Signed, played in a couple of friendly games, over-looked for every competitive game and then released. Maybe he was so far off the quality that Stevie didn't need to play him in a competitive game but I didn't see anything from Smith and he still got some game time. There was question marks over Miller's attitude so maybe that's come into it.

It does look like an error of judgement from Stevie on these guys and I can't help but feel he's messed Andy Graham around a bit, which is a shame. First mistakes made but hopefully he's learned now the level of quality required, Wright looks to be up to that level and I'm interested to see who else we're bringing in.

Quite a few seem to think we're spending money we don't have this year and the more we're linked with quality players the more you question it yourself. Having said that, I honestly can't see us going mental to stay in this division - we haven't done so up until now so it would be a shame if we're spending silly money. One thing our current board have done extremely well is pretty much make us debt free, I'd be shocked if they were willing to ruin all that for 1 or 2 more seasons at this level.

Ruthless from Aitken, but entirely justified if it can be followed up with promising signings.

The remaining squad players would be best advised to make the most of any chances they get from the bench or they could be next. I'm thinking Kirky here.

Aye, it should certainly keep folk on their toes and if there's one player that needs a kick up the arse then it's Kirky.

We won't be paying up f**k all, this is real life, not Champy. They'll be told they're surplus and free to find a new club, contract cancelled.

I know for a fact that thats bollox.

Andy agreed a package at the weekend following your game. Would imagine the other 2 are the same.

Aye, we won't be just telling them to f**k off if they're not needed. Each one will be offered a severance package and they have the choice of accepting it or sitting in the U20s for a year on their full wage. It'll be cheaper than keeping them on for the full year but certainly not as cheap as some have made out.

The miller situation is a funny one , a very decent midfielder who could've done a turn in the championship and improved in time, saw him umpteen times with queens park and he had a great attitude (he was a winner).He's not a silly boy and I can't see him just walking away, same as Smith and big Andy hopefully they all get sorted with clubs before the windows closes.

The miller situation is a funny one , a very decent midfielder who could've done a turn in the championship and improved in time, saw him umpteen times with queens park and he had a great attitude (he was a winner).He's not a silly boy and I can't see him just walking away, same as Smith and big Andy hopefully they all get sorted with clubs before the windows closes.

You seem to have taken a big interest in miller, do you know him personally? I feel like he wasn't given a chance, but saying that we don't see the players in training, could be an attitude issue or something we don't know.

Aitken said we were after 2 players, that was before we let 3 go. That's 5 spaces, I can't see us getting 5 in and feel we might leave ourselves short.

Frazer Wright will train with us tonight, and turned down the assistants job at Cowden to sign up:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frazer-wright-set-join-championship-6315786

No news, and I really hope we're not entering false dawn territory on this and any other deals ahead of Friday's fixture and beyond. Clearing the decks is fine as long as a new crew shows up.

You seem to have taken a big interest in miller, do you know him personally? I feel like he wasn't given a chance, but saying that we don't see the players in training, could be an attitude issue or something we don't know.

Aitken said we were after 2 players, that was before we let 3 go. That's 5 spaces, I can't see us getting 5 in and feel we might leave ourselves short.

I think it's more like he said he was bringing in 2 new faces because he knew he was letting some go.