Sons' sorrow

Some of the vitriol I’ve seen is a bit much and it also just ends up playing into his hands as he can brush off any criticism by saying it comes from a section of the tinfoil hat support that just give him unwarranted abuse.

Tagging his personal twitter account and calling him a c**t is definitely a bit wild. I think most comments on here are fair game though unless it’s threatening or violent.  You’re off your head if you’re reading Pie and Bovril as a manager of a lower league Scottish club.  

His comments were certainly meant to sting fans though and while I don’t think that makes him a bad human being, it does make him look like an arse and is right out the Aitken playbook of acting all nice and smiles until faced with criticism.

Faz has been involved with the club a lot off the pitch and that’s grand and definitely much needed.  That being said it shouldn’t play any sort of factor in whether he should continue managing the club - he shouldn’t.  

It also begs the question should the board be more proactive in some of these things instead of leaving it to the manager of the football team.  John Steele wasn’t great but he at least made himself appear available unlike  McKay who seems to hide in the shadows.

49 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Ally Love announcing he's away, it just never really worked for him as I don't think we ever really worked out how to actually use him. Seemed to drift in and out the team and never in any set position. He seemed at his best coming off the bench and getting in folks faces (literally a lot of the time) and playing off a striker which we never tended to use as a tactic in my opinion. 

A strangely angry man as well giving us the whole Lowry affair and managing to nearly get sent off after scoring a goal against Forfar.

No great loss. Can’t fault his efforts but he wasn’t very good. A try-hard attacking player who doesn’t threaten when attacking isn’t exactly what we need. Reminded me a bit of Stef McCluskey.

8 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

No great loss. Can’t fault his efforts but he wasn’t very good. A try-hard attacking player who doesn’t threaten when attacking isn’t exactly what we need. Reminded me a bit of Stef McCluskey.

You mean the same Stef who scored 11 for Forfar this season? Maybe it’s our eye-bleeding tactics that turn good players shite?

9 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

You mean the same Stef who scored 11 for Forfar this season? Maybe it’s our eye-bleeding tactics that turn good players shite?

It’s definitely a factor. I don’t know how any footballer can look at Dumbarton as an exciting career move for next season. The football we play is horrible and our pitch is an absolute joke.

I was speaking to a young Cowdenbeath player today who looked me in the eye with a straight face and said our pitch looks worse than Central Park…. That’s a new low.

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

I remember posting ages ago about how many clubs have had players hit 20+ goals a season since we last did. And I'm sure everyone else in the division (ignoring Bonnyrigg seen as they were in non league) has done.

It's absolutely incredible. Players come to us and, with the exception of a few really good players (Calum Gallagher, Dom Thomas, Chris Kane, Jim Lister, Bryan Prunty) seem to find it very hard to score goals on a basis that could be described as prolific.

2 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Carswell also leaving which again seems to have been coming.

That's not a surprise at all, and it feels like the time is right. He was excellent during the first few months of the season, but after a few dodgy performances and an injury he never looked like getting back into the team.

Fair play to him though. 224 appearances in one spell isn't something most players who play for us these days manage. I think he needs a fresh start and I hope he does well whenever he ends up.

The fact his debut was in a 1-0 league defeat to Hibs and his last game was a 6-0 loss to Annan kind of highlights how horrendous the last few seasons have been mind you.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m going to defend Farrell a wee bit here. I don’t actually think he is a bad guy, off the park he’s been a breath of fresh air compared to the likes of Jim Duffy - he didn’t bother his arse to turn up to a single social event organised by the Trust or club volunteers, including the POTY awards do. Farrell always seems to go out of his way to attend these sort of things and I think he deserves a bit of credit for that. Anyone I know who has had any dealings with him all have him down as a helpful, decent guy. 

His interviews aren’t great, he’s clearly talking nonsense but I think that’s probably because he’s trying to save face a bit. His pride is clearly dented because he cares. Again compare that to Jim Duffy who came across like he didn’t give a flying f**k about anything. 

As a manager he’s absolutely hopeless and he should be out of a job. He should’ve been  out on his arse at the end of last season but I think some of the personal abuse being directed at him on Twitter is in really bad taste. His managerial ability is not up for debate but I really don’t think some of the abuse he’s gettin on social media is reflecting well on us as a support. People are obviously frustrated and people are getting defensive because he has got to the point he is waffling absolute shite in post match interviews, I referred to him as a clown a few pages back, but I think in the cold light of day too many of us are confusing a terrible manager with a bad person, which I’m not sure Stevie Farrell is. 

I’d agree with this and as much as I think Farrell should go I can’t help but think that the players are getting off lightly. Farrell was booed on and off yesterday yet the players were applauded off. They are just as culpable with a few exceptions

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The likes of Carswell and Love leaving is the correct decision. It does worry me a bit that Farrell is making this decision rather than the players themselves which would suggest he’s going nowhere. 

What makes you think it is Farrell making the decisions here? I read the tweets as the players deciding to move on. 

Kalvin Orsi will be off-ski as well.

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I’d agree with this and as much as I think Farrell should go I can’t help but think that the players are getting off lightly. Farrell was booed on and off yesterday yet the players were applauded off. They are just as culpable with a few exceptions

Maybe people were only applauding the exceptions?

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m going to defend Farrell a wee bit here. I don’t actually think he is a bad guy, off the park he’s been a breath of fresh air compared to the likes of Jim Duffy - he didn’t bother his arse to turn up to a single social event organised by the Trust or club volunteers, including the POTY awards do. Farrell always seems to go out of his way to attend these sort of things and I think he deserves a bit of credit for that. Anyone I know who has had any dealings with him all have him down as a helpful, decent guy. 

His interviews aren’t great, he’s clearly talking nonsense but I think that’s probably because he’s trying to save face a bit. His pride is clearly dented because he cares. Again compare that to Jim Duffy who came across like he didn’t give a flying f**k about anything. 

As a manager he’s absolutely hopeless and he should be out of a job. He should’ve been  out on his arse at the end of last season but I think some of the personal abuse being directed at him on Twitter is in really bad taste. His managerial ability is not up for debate but I really don’t think some of the abuse he’s gettin on social media is reflecting well on us as a support. People are obviously frustrated and people are getting defensive because he has got to the point he is waffling absolute shite in post match interviews, I referred to him as a clown a few pages back, but I think in the cold light of day too many of us are confusing a terrible manager with a bad person, which I’m not sure Stevie Farrell is. 

Nail on the head. Personal abuse is unacceptable and some of what’s been said since the Annan debacle is bordering on pathetic.

Every time iv met Stevie he’s been a thoroughly decent guy, always got time for the fans and kids and, regardless of folks thoughts on his managerial ability, the abuse is not on.

People are of course entitled to air their displeasure and objection to his position, however, when it becomes personal abuse all credibility has been lost. 

44 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Carswell also leaving which again seems to have been coming.

Not fussed, in fact I think this is for the best. I personally wanted him gone at the end of last season, some pathetic displays alongside Paton last season. Rightly stripped of captaincy and although started the season well, struggled to get back in the side. Good luck but reckon we will replace with better. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him pop up at EK next season.

19 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Indeed. The performance the majority of them turned in against Annan Athletic in the first leg was absolutely pathetic, bordering on unprofessional. The buck stops with the gaffer, and ultimately he’s responsible, but I’m astounded they were applauded. 

Let's get a few things in perspective here.  The applauding of players at the end of yesterday's game was by a few dozen people, and even fewer gave Farrell verbal abuse.  Most folk were bored rigid by another dire game and simply shuffled away home.  What goes out on Twitter and Facebook I haven't a clue about.

As for Stevie Farrell, he's given two interviews this week, the first hanging his players out to dry by accusing them of freezing, but yesterday defending them against non-existent criticism.  Strange.

And I think it's probably significant that Love and Carswell have chosen to announce their own departures rather than leave it to a club announcement.