Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I doubt that there will be very much interest in a small development opportunity, no matter how good the location, when it comes attached to a football ground.

There will be plenty of other sites with a lot less baggage.  And remember, Cognitive Capital is basically a family carry-over from Brabco - it's  the same old shit under a different name.

Oh aye, I doubt the developers will be queuing up. Mainly because I don't see that land ever being built on. But all it takes is one person to have the pound signs light up in their eyes and the whole merry-go-round starts again.

There are enough guys with a wee bit of money who'd like a lot more who'll fall for it though. Just as Henning did, and just as God knows how many folk with Brabco did. Chris Stainton, Iain Wilson. That guy from Essex, Steede? Or something. All it takes is one person to fall for it and we'll be off on the same cycle again.

22 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Oh aye, I doubt the developers will be queuing up. Mainly because I don't see that land ever being built on. But all it takes is one person to have the pound signs light up in their eyes and the whole merry-go-round starts again.

There are enough guys with a wee bit of money who'd like a lot more who'll fall for it though. Just as Henning did, and just as God knows how many folk with Brabco did. Chris Stainton, Iain Wilson. That guy from Essex, Steede? Or something. All it takes is one person to fall for it and we'll be off on the same cycle again.

I suspect I know the answer here but have you reached out to Alan Martin for comment on him basically legally owning us? And if so has he given anything other than a dingy? 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

And that's why this planning renewal application is crucial.  If it's granted then there is indeed every chance that this charade will continue, and equally as bad would be the continuing prospect of the club in future having to operate in very difficult circumstances should houses ever be built.

Should the application be rejected though that would deal a dire blow to the speculators.  Quelle domage.

17 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I suspect I know the answer here but have you reached out to Alan Martin for comment on him basically legally owning us? And if so has he given anything other than a dingy? 

I haven't actually. Although I suspect that you would be spot on with that assessment. Henning spoke to me once mind you. Then pied me afterwards.

16 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And that's why this planning renewal application is crucial.  If it's granted then there is indeed every chance that this charade will continue, and equally as bad would be the continuing prospect of the club in future having to operate in very difficult circumstances should houses ever be built.

Should the application be rejected though that would deal a dire blow to the speculators.  Quelle domage.

Oh absolutely. The planning rejection would be a really good step. And, fwiw (in my completely un-expert eye), looking at the application I don't think it'll be granted. More houses and a football stadium in a quiet residential area, with limited parking and only one access route isn't likely to tick many boxes for WDC.

Demolish the stadium and build houses. Aye. That's feasible. But not houses and the stadium. Can you imagine a fire breaking out in one of the new flats at 4.45pm on a Saturday when we've played Dundee United or Partick Thistle (or someone like that) in a cup match. That's before you get to the nuisance parking aspect. We're talking a football club playing in a national league. Active travel isn't possible for most; and even at small games you might have 50 or 60 cars arriving from away supporters when we played the likes of Elgin or Stranraer. It's not as if it's *just* a community sports centre with houses nearby we're talking about here.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I haven't actually. Although I suspect that you would be spot on with that assessment. Henning spoke to me once mind you. Then pied me afterwards.

Oh absolutely. The planning rejection would be a really good step. And, fwiw (in my completely un-expert eye), looking at the application I don't think it'll be granted. More houses and a football stadium in a quiet residential area, with limited parking and only one access route isn't likely to tick many boxes for WDC.

Demolish the stadium and build houses. Aye. That's feasible. But not houses and the stadium. Can you imagine a fire breaking out in one of the new flats at 4.45pm on a Saturday when we've played Dundee United or Partick Thistle (or someone like that) in a cup match. That's before you get to the nuisance parking aspect. We're talking a football club playing in a national league. Active travel isn't possible for most; and even at small games you might have 50 or 60 cars arriving from away supporters when we played the likes of Elgin or Stranraer. It's not as if it's *just* a community sports centre with houses nearby we're talking about here.

At some point I hope someone puts some questions to Martin. At least to shine a little light on the ludicrousness of his appointment.

Having taken on sole-directorship in a company that's a majority shareholder in Scottish football league club he deserves a little local press attention imo. He has to realise the "oddness" of the situation isn't going unnoticed.

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

For anyone who isn’t bothering travelling tomorrow it appears that Airdrie will not be offering a streaming service. 

Sounds terrible but the current format of the League Cup holds zero attraction and I'd rather save my cash than attend. Glorified pre-season games. 

47 minutes ago, PWL said:

Sounds terrible but the current format of the League Cup holds zero attraction and I'd rather save my cash than attend. Glorified pre-season games. 

Oh aye, you couldn’t pay me to attend any of these daft cup games away from home but a stream with a couple of beers on a rainy saturday afternoon would’ve been ideal.

1 hour ago, PWL said:

It's not terrible to say it, it's the truth.  The decision to restore the section format to the League Cup wasn't the best, but to lump in clubs from the Premier Division to League Two just overloaded the dice against clubs like ours.

Back in the days when fitba was run by the game's authorities as opposed to broadcasters and sponsors the smaller clubs benefitted from a more democratic climate.  Sadly both the LC and SC have long been gerrymandered, and IMO thoroughly devalued.

1 minute ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Anyone received their season ticket QR code yet? Email I got from the club a while back said we’d get them by yesterday?

Got mine sent across on June 30. If it helps, the email header was 'Your membership "Season Ticket Adult"'. Might've dropped into your spam?

4 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Looking on the transfer thread pinned on this forum it seems we have signed Josh Mculloch from Hibs and Connor Scullion on a free.Did I miss that..or is this new or indeed fake news?

:ph34r:

Woops.

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

LOL Did I find you out???

If they go ahead what can you tell us about them Jan?Connor was ex morton wasnt he?

Both players have signed for Clyde, I think Jan just stuck them under the wrong team. Connor Scullion played for us previously and was a shite sand dancer. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Both players have signed for Clyde, I think Jan just stuck them under the wrong team. Connor Scullion played for us previously and was a shite sand dancer. 

Totally forgot he ever played for us...either im getting dementia or he was pish.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

^^This would be correct. Perils of updating that opening post on my phone.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

How the hell is Scullion still getting a gig at this level?? 

Ah, oh.... The Duffy approach in full flow again.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

How the hell is Scullion still getting a gig at this level?? 

Ah, oh.... The Duffy approach in full flow again.

His brother is at Clyde, so I fully expect Duffy's approach was very similar to when you're needing an extra body for 5s.