Sons' sorrow

I'm pretty sure Dumbarton will have a sport scientist similar to ourselves.

I can't remember the specific sweet stuff our lads have after games but it's pretty much par for the course as advised by the sports scientist and will be similar across the board.

Ken going off his nut here about doughnuts has tickled me though. A club with obvious financial issues, dodgy goings on at board room level and a manager the supporters don't want but oor Ken has lost his nut over a tray of doughnuts.

It’s not uncommon for post-game offerings at elite level clubs to be basically a free for all you can eat option.   Grealish who may not be the perfect pro but still playing at the highest level orders basically the full menu out the Chinese and scoffs it.  Fine lists at nearly every club have fines for no cakes on your birthday. 25+ random dates a year not aligned with matches where something sweet is expected to be provided at training.

i shouldn’t be eating donuts tonight. I haven’t just ran 10-15k, won’t be doing a gym session and a 5k tomorrow and won’t be training 2 hours the next night, you can’t compare the relative diets.

All depends on what you want your energy for.

Sportsmen eat complex carbohydrates hours before a game. Complex carbohydrates take a long time to break down into more simple carbohydrates that an athlete needs for useful energy at game time. The time for chicken and pasta? It's probably 3-4 hours before the match. Half time and full time? The body has used all of the simple carbohydrates it has available. You get a temporary increase in blood sugar levels as the body draws energy from various stored sources. You then get a blood sugar crash as all of the simple, quick access energy has been used.

Donuts before a game? Pointless as they do nothing to provide a sustained source of energy. They're a source of quick access sugar. Donuts after a game? A very sensible way to avoid a sharp drop in blood sugar levels following 90 minutes of football. Players need to avoid the blood sugar crash and by having a donut after the game, they're getting that quick energy fix to avoid a blood sugar drop.  Their evening meal will then replace the more complex carbohydrates in their system which will break down over time.

And yes, I did watch Cherry Healey running about on Inside The Factory at the weekend. But that doesnt make the explanation wrong.

I remember a story and it was true that Forres were away to Dundee Utd in the cup, they booked a pre match meal at a hotel of omelette, toast and beans, the hotel then cocked it up and put chips on every plate. (Thought they were fans bus) The players were advised if they ate the chips they were dropped, they all ate them as the gaffer couldn't drop the entire squad. They then went on to put up an amazing performance and held Utd 0-0 at half time before going down to late goals. As long as its in moderation its OK, just no doughnuts!!!

Just now, Super Staggie said:

I remember a story and it was true that Forres were away to Dundee Utd in the cup, they booked a pre match meal at a hotel of omelette, toast and beans, the hotel then cocked it up and put chips on every plate. (Thought they were fans bus) The players were advised if they ate the chips they were dropped, they all ate them as the gaffer couldn't drop the entire squad. They then went on to put up an amazing performance and held Utd 0-0 at half time before going down to late goals. As long as its in moderation its OK, just no doughnuts!!!

To roughly quote Graeme smith I believe from tell him he’s pele.  ’I’ve eaten perfectly before a game and played shit, had a Big Mac and played the game of my life.’ He goes on to explain that good nutrition is part of performing at your best but it’s not the be on and end all. 

I saw a picture from a high-level club’s (forget which one) dressing room recently, where they had Haribo and Jaffa Cakes laid out, so I guess donuts aren’t that weird. I know the Jaffa cakes one has always been a thing.

3 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

I realise this isn't football related but Usain Bolt reportedly ate 100 McNuggets a day during the Beijing Olympics and won 3 gold medals. The point being footballers will always know their bodies best and what it takes to perform. See also Garry Fleming and his diet although the athletic ability between those 2 may be different.

Not to mention Jamie Vardy’s red bull and Andy Carroll’s full pub carvery before a game.

Your boys should not go hungry post match tonight, dont think many do but we give home & away players a hot meal after the game in the hospitality loungue. If they are taking the doughnuts they can maybe just eat the hole in the middle before the game 😀

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Mr Farrell has had a change of heart. I’m led to believe the previously offered goalkeeper is dusting off his biro.

Shame it took him an extra game to realise that. Was clear as day against Clyde that Broun’s not up to it.

Just now, Neilly said:

A desperate man is Uncle Faz. 

The reliable Broun now deemed not reliable by the man who just said he was reliable a few days ago.

It’s almost as if everything that comes out of his mouth is utter nonsense.

On 24/12/2023 at 15:46, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's admirable for Stevie Farrell to put his faith in Harry Broun and press ahead with strengthening the team's wide areas, but all it takes is another mistake, another dropped cross in the coming weeks for him to change his mind. Between now and the end of next month, Dumbarton will have signed another goalkeeper.

Book it!

Hell yeah!