Sons' sorrow

Ross McLean strikes me as a player who will pitch up at East Kilbride in March to help get their 34 man squad over the line.

They will be 14 points clear at the time.

MacLean had some good moments in the early days of Farrell’s reign, but we haven’t seen it for a long, long time. I wouldn’t have thought he’d be our highest earner, but I also wouldn’t have said he’d be the lowest, so hopefully it frees up something.

Saw Naysmith was talking about how Stenny are the fittest side he’s ever managed. Got me wondering how our fitness compares. I did wonder if it could be a reason for the number of late goals we’ve conceded, but I feel that’s more of a mental issue/Farrell’s lack of tactical nous. I’ve never really questioned our fitness or seen it as an issue. The guys look in pretty good shape to me, anyway. Be interesting if anyone thought differently. 

Edited by FifeSons

2 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Screenshot_20240115-192709.thumb.jpg.f629ad8b9a9c90bbd36c10eee66f3c37.jpg

MacLean seemingly taking a break from football. Just never really saw it consistently from him and fair enough if he wants to put work first I'd say. 

I was told he's currently working in Thurso, so that's a bit awkward from a practical point of view.

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Wasn’t he the guy who looked great for Edinburgh City against us in the one of the playoffs?

It is and he was a very good player at this level. I have no idea what he’s like now after his stint with the kiddy on mob but I’d happily see us punt Blair and sign him.

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Wasn’t he the guy who looked great for Edinburgh City against us in the one of the playoffs?

Indeed he was, and he was also excellent for Queen's Park.  Somewhere along the line he seemed to have lost his way, and with Kelly also being offloaded to us, EK seem to be preparing for life in the big league.

I wouldn't be against Brown signing, but that's more due to a lack of faith in Div Wilson and the two Blairs. Fair play to Chucky for being honest with the club and telling us that he can't guarantee availability. Work has to come first for any player at our level. If he's going to be based up there then I wouldn't be shocked to see him turn out for a highland league team if he fancies continuing to play (Wick Academy would be an obvious option), but there's possibly a chance that he's not really enjoying his football and the work situation has forced him to make a decision he might already have been thinking about.

Obvious replacement if we could make it happen would be Joe Bevan. Bevan would be a cracking pick up for us. Young, can play wide or up front. Runs at folk with pace and can finish. 

22 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Obvious replacement if we could make it happen would be Joe Bevan. Bevan would be a cracking pick up for us. Young, can play wide or up front. Runs at folk with pace and can finish. 

Surely we’d have no chance of Bevan.

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

No doubting the ability but I would be very wary of what's going on between the ears.

Played half hour for us on loan last year then never played again due to whatever issues he had mentally or in his personal life.

Then moves on to that little basket case of a club in the summer as captain but then available in January. The alarm bells should he ringing.

Even choosing that mob in the first place when he would have had half of league one to choose from shows a complete lack of ambition and desire to play senior.

For the above reasons he will end up at another basket case of a club - Clyde.

11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Surely we’d have no chance of Bevan.

He's still with Albion Rovers and they're not coming back up this season. I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried to get him back into League Two. Would Albion Rovers stand in his way if he wanted a move back to the senior leagues?

33 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I wouldn't be against Brown signing, but that's more due to a lack of faith in Div Wilson and the two Blairs. Fair play to Chucky for being honest with the club and telling us that he can't guarantee availability. Work has to come first for any player at our level. If he's going to be based up there then I wouldn't be shocked to see him turn out for a highland league team if he fancies continuing to play (Wick Academy would be an obvious option), but there's possibly a chance that he's not really enjoying his football and the work situation has forced him to make a decision he might already have been thinking about.

How has Bevan been doing in the Lowland League for Rovers? I know he had a wee burst of form in League 2 last season but I’ve barely seen his name mentioned since they were relegated! 

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How has Bevan been doing in the Lowland League for Rovers? I know he had a wee burst of form in League 2 last season but I’ve barely seen his name mentioned since they were relegated! 

Hi did score a worldy against Stirling Uni in the Cup.  And he's now in a different Rovers team from the one with Charlie Reilly and Blair Malcolm 😉

I'm old enough to remember Kenny Dalglish looking ordinary in some awful Scotland teams - just saying.

Not in this window, but in the summer I would hope we’d be taking a look at Niyah Joseph for our annual raid of the Wee Rovers. He’s got 18 goals already this season and is a Cardross boy. It didn’t work out for him at Stenny, but taking a step back and being an important player playing every week seems to be working for him. Just turns 23 in May too, so is a good age.

I thought Bevan would tear up the Lowland League. He looked outstanding last year, but he’s only got five goals to his name. And they’d be due compensation because of his age (assuming he’s offered a new deal in the same terms).

54 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

36 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Hi did score a worldy against Stirling Uni in the Cup.  And he's now in a different Rovers team from the one with Charlie Reilly and Blair Malcolm 😉

I'm old enough to remember Kenny Dalglish looking ordinary in some awful Scotland teams - just saying.

Was away to mention the worldy against Stirling uni! That was some goal.

I think players like that, who are capable of moments of individual brilliance, are always worth a punt (Froxylias), because there are very, very few players at this level capable of moments like that. I know it can be very hit and miss, but the guy is young and not some journeyman looking for a last payday (which we've had our share of). I wonder if Albion Rovers would be tempted to let him leave in January for a small fee, if his contract is up. Another fans crowdfund, maybe?

All that said, Faz probs woudln't fancy him!

Edited by FifeSons

29 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That's a fair point. What's happening with Charlie Reilly this season? Apparently only made 6 appearances for Dundee. I'm surprised he hasn't been sent out on loan. Can see why he hasn't made many appearances as they are doing particularly well this year.

50 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He's still with Albion Rovers and they're not coming back up this season. I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried to get him back into League Two. Would Albion Rovers stand in his way if he wanted a move back to the senior leagues?

Fair point. I suppose if he hasn't been lighting it up this season (I really have no idea, Stirling uni goal aside) interest may have dropped off.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

No doubting the ability but I would be very wary of what's going on between the ears.

Played half hour for us on loan last year then never played again due to whatever issues he had mentally or in his personal life.

Then moves on to that little basket case of a club in the summer as captain but then available in January. The alarm bells should he ringing.

Even choosing that mob in the first place when he would have had half of league one to choose from shows a complete lack of ambition and desire to play senior.

For the above reasons he will end up at another basket case of a club - Clyde.

True, but just because the chicken man has made him available (perhaps fallen out with him for some mad reason) I wouldn't judge him too harshly. Choosing EK in the first place is indeed a red flag, but I'd have bitten your hand off for Robert Thomson, who's just signed for them (albeit he is older and wouldn't have had as many alternatives as Brown). I'd certainly give him a go between now and the end of the season, over a Blair or Wilson. Our season needs a few risks (sacking the manager obvs isn't one that'll happen) to avoid just petering out.

I think you're right that he'll end up at Clyde, though.

Edited by FifeSons