Sons' sorrow

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Is there anything the fans can do to force Farrell/MacKay out once this season inevitably ends as we all know it will? I don’t really think there is, but it’s worth thinking about it in advance.

Buy the club.

So where do we go from here troops, do we bumble along to the Play-Offs or do we try and find a settled starting eleven capable of building momentum going into them, starting this weekend ?  It's a no-brainer for me but Managers get fixated on repeating things which simply and literally don't produce results.

So right off, an Exocet.  We start with two front men, with Marc Kelly being played up front with Michael Ruth.  Mikey has run himself into the ground - and again on Saturday - but he could really do help up there, never mind that Kelly comes with a decent scoring record which AFAIK didn't come from playing on the wing.

Elsewhere, we move Carlo up to RH mid and restore Aron Lynas to RB, leaving the rest of the defence as is.  Another heresy - I'd play Malcolm at the base of the midfield - and I'd have Hilton at centre-mid with the lad Healy on the left.

Yes, it means Orsi, Gray, and the Wallaces on the bench but we really need to start shaking things up to see who can do what and in what position, and if required these are all very handy guys to bring on.

Do I think it will happen ?  Not really, but I think some player rotations are definitely worth serious consideration.  And the form table would agree. 

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So where do we go from here troops, do we bumble along to the Play-Offs or do we try and find a settled starting eleven capable of building momentum going into them, starting this weekend ?  It's a no-brainer for me but Managers get fixated on repeating things which simply and literally don't produce results.

So right off, an Exocet.  We start with two front men, with Marc Kelly being played up front with Michael Ruth.  Mikey has run himself into the ground - and again on Saturday - but he could really do help up there, never mind that Kelly comes with a decent scoring record which AFAIK didn't come from playing on the wing.

Elsewhere, we move Carlo up to RH mid and restore Aron Lynas to RB, leaving the rest of the defence as is.  Another heresy - I'd play Malcolm at the base of the midfield - and I'd have Hilton at centre-mid with the lad Healy on the left.

Yes, it means Orsi, Gray, and the Wallaces on the bench but we really need to start shaking things up to see who can do what and in what position, and if required these are all very handy guys to bring on.

Do I think it will happen ?  Not really, but I think some player rotations are definitely worth serious consideration.  And the form table would agree. 

I agree. Not necessarily with your team, but the need for a bit of a shake-up. We're going to finish in the playoffs, we're going to need a team capable of winning them. So why not try out a few things and see what works.

Personally my out the box idea is based on the fact I don't think Gallagher Lennon is a left-back. I think he's a centre-half playing at left-back.

I've no idea if this team has the right balance to it or not. But that's part of the fun I suppose. And I've no idea how good Aaron Healy or Marc Kelly are, but I'm optimistic they can bring something different.

I'd also say that I really think we miss Ryan Wallace when he isn't playing. But he isn't scoring enough for a forward player, and that's where one of our major issues is at the moment.

So, balls out, here we go.

Jay Hogarth

Cian Newbury Sean Crighton Gallagher Lennon

Kalvin Orsi Finlay Gray Carlo Pignatiello Blair Malcolm
Aaron Healy

Marc Kelly Michael Ruth

I think we lose something without Kalvin Orsi in the side. His end product is lacking, but he drives us up the park, he's quick and hard working. He's skilful and he has been our leading creator for two seasons. I'd also say he balances out Blair Malcolm being more of a defensive wing-back on the other side. Which is a role I'm sure he played a bit for Albion Rovers last season. He'd also be able to cover Gallagher Lennon being uncomfortable when he's dragged wide.

In my head you've then got two midfielders in Carlo and Finlay who are terrific athletes and who both are very good driving forward with the ball. But equally as adept at defending.

Further forward; Kelly looks a central player. I'm absolutely sure that's where he'll be most comfortable and effective even based on just 60 minutes on Saturday. Ruth will benefit from someone close to him, and Aaron Healy excites me. Drop him in that space, but with the right to drift out to the left to give us an attacking option there, with Malcolm more focused on defending.

The weaknesses? I think we could be got at and overloaded down both wings. I think Ryan Wallace is superb at holding the play up in a way Healy or Kelly probably can't. It asks a lot of Blair Malcolm to cover left-back and drop in as a defensive centre-mid and as a defensive winger, especially given he's not exactly got rapid pace. 

Is Kelly a striker?

I've always liked the idea of Carlo in midfield. He's our best player IMO and should be on the ball as much as possible. I've no problem with Lynas at RB. I think his poor performances at CB have somewhat unfairly ruled him out of the team.

Edited by FifeSons

Re the ownership, surely there comes a point where A.Hosie realises he's never going to be able to fulfill the pipe dream of selling the land for a quick buck? What happens then? The way I see it, his two options then are to either find another schmuck to take it on or sell it at a huge discount (say, to the fans) and write it off. The latter seems unlikely (to say the least) to me. The other concern is when his ban from serving on a board ends in 2028... I know he's basically already in control through his shares, but it can only be bad news for DFC. 

I suppose he's been around so long already that maybe he'll never give up on it. Have the Trust ever spoken to him about the possibility of selling his shares? I can't imagine he has made himself particularly available. I don't even know if he goes to games. Couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Edited by FifeSons

Don't mind us trying different team selection as long as the player is right for the position.

When a manager starts bizarre ideas like Gray on the wing, Gray up front as lone striker, Lynas at centre half etc the game's a bogey.

59 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

47 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I agree. Not necessarily with your team, but the need for a bit of a shake-up. We're going to finish in the playoffs, we're going to need a team capable of winning them. So why not try out a few things and see what works.

Personally my out the box idea is based on the fact I don't think Gallagher Lennon is a left-back. I think he's a centre-half playing at left-back.

I've no idea if this team has the right balance to it or not. But that's part of the fun I suppose. And I've no idea how good Aaron Healy or Marc Kelly are, but I'm optimistic they can bring something different.

I'd also say that I really think we miss Ryan Wallace when he isn't playing. But he isn't scoring enough for a forward player, and that's where one of our major issues is at the moment.

So, balls out, here we go.

Jay Hogarth

Cian Newbury Sean Crighton Gallagher Lennon

Kalvin Orsi Finlay Gray Carlo Pignatiello Blair Malcolm
Aaron Healy

Marc Kelly Michael Ruth

I think we lose something without Kalvin Orsi in the side. His end product is lacking, but he drives us up the park, he's quick and hard working. He's skilful and he has been our leading creator for two seasons. I'd also say he balances out Blair Malcolm being more of a defensive wing-back on the other side. Which is a role I'm sure he played a bit for Albion Rovers last season. He'd also be able to cover Gallagher Lennon being uncomfortable when he's dragged wide.

In my head you've then got two midfielders in Carlo and Finlay who are terrific athletes and who both are very good driving forward with the ball. But equally as adept at defending.

Further forward; Kelly looks a central player. I'm absolutely sure that's where he'll be most comfortable and effective even based on just 60 minutes on Saturday. Ruth will benefit from someone close to him, and Aaron Healy excites me. Drop him in that space, but with the right to drift out to the left to give us an attacking option there, with Malcolm more focused on defending.

The weaknesses? I think we could be got at and overloaded down both wings. I think Ryan Wallace is superb at holding the play up in a way Healy or Kelly probably can't. It asks a lot of Blair Malcolm to cover left-back and drop in as a defensive centre-mid and as a defensive winger, especially given he's not exactly got rapid pace. 

We're in February and discussing "trying things out to see what works". That tells you everything about what the actual solution is here and it's not rearranging the deck chairs, it's firing the captain of the ship. 

I personally don’t see any need to change the 4-4-1-1 formation. The dynamic of one striker going in behind and the other coming short is actually one of our strengths currently to be honest. Elsewhere though there are some issues: -

In central midfield we do appear rather lightweight without Malcom but equally he’s a bomb scare in possession. It might a case of moving Pignateillo there and playing him as a holding midfielder, although then we would miss out on his natural creativity. 

Left back now appears rather large (and unfortunate) issue. We have gone from having two great attacking full backs to having an unproven rookie in the space of 3 months. This really is bad luck. Lennon seems to be a big step back towards McNiff in that he doesn’t offer much going forwards, however he doesn’t seem great defensively either (mainly due to lack of pace in 1 v 1s). I think he’ll be a decent centre back in the future but for now we’ll have to accept the left hand side is significantly weaker.

Out wide, we really need at least 1 of Orsi or Healy starting. They both seem to have the pace to worry the opposition. We were the better team on Saturday but offered no threat out wide until they came on. Kelly was totally anonymous for large spells and you could see his natural inclination to drift inside left us with little to no width. 

We could try something like this when everyone is fit: -

Hogarth

Newbury, Crighton, Durnan, Lennon

Orsi, Pignateillo, Gray, Wallace

Wallace

Ruth

For now Lynas would be at right back, but even then I’m not sure I like the idea of breaking up the Pignateillo, Orsi combo down that side. 

If Ruth gets injured we are most likely snookered as there isn’t another out-and-out striker in the squad.

The challenge, as a fanbase, will be to remain engaged through the rest of the season if the "turn a corner, fall flat on face" pattern continues. We're safe from relegation but we're unlikely to have the grits to challenge for promotion. 

58 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Anyone been curious about our new Shirt Sponsor?

https://iceandfirewellness.co.uk/about-us/?amp=1

Usually a Club announces a sponsorship deal...wait for it...Ice and Fire....based in Chester.

Think someone said it's McPherson's company.

Oh, yep, there he is on the page.

Edited by FifeSons

30 minutes ago, Burnsythebinman said:

i'm a bit of an anorak 😊and like to watch highlights and interviews of all the teams in the same division to my own team Stenny.  can any sons fans tell me if you still do these? struggling to find anything on the website

You'll find some post match stuff on our socials, but no match highlights. 

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

i'm a bit of an anorak 😊and like to watch highlights and interviews of all the teams in the same division to my own team Stenny.  can any sons fans tell me if you still do these? struggling to find anything on the website

There's a variety of stuff on this YouTube channel, it's not really been updated with recent highlights though.

Edited by Silverton End