Sons' sorrow

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I hadn't realised it has been this long. But then when you mentioned it, it struck me I didn't even know what game that was. The 1-0 win against Elgin in atrocious conditions. A game I only remember because I flew out on holiday the next day.

---

The atmosphere yesterday was horrible. Not uncomfortable, dangerous or anything. Just really disheartening. You've got a team going through the motions and massively underperforming on the park, a fanbase with no belief in the manager or board, a manager who is struggling for the third season in a row to get any form going at all after Christmas. And a board who (outwardly at least) look oblivious to everything that I've just mentioned.

Considering we've played Stenny, East Fife, Clyde, Forfar & Spartans (and Rangers which I'll exclude) for a team with promotion ambitions it's just not good enough, it's as simple as that. We've obviously got no divine right to win games but if you're talking about being a top 4 side you need to be winning these types of games. It's going from us not winning big games, to not winning any at this stage.

As for the second point if you've got a redaction still due from the club statement then you could go for the club’s chairman and board have a ”currently stated position of acquiescence on matters of mediocrity”

Just now, FifeSons said:

Every chance that when we go to East Fife on 9th March that a win for them will take them above us.

EF are a great example of a club appointing a good manager and seeing results go well for them right from the off.Wouldnt surprise me if they go up via playoffs this season.We  missed a trick with Naysmith Mccall and Campbell who are all great managers at this level.We have had a good budget and should be out or getting out of this league.We have to put pressure on the board to act otherwise we are LL in 2025.

Having said that personal insults vs Farrell is out of order and may only harden his resolve.We need a change and we have to apply pressure either boycotting or protesting officially at games.We need to act somehow to change the status quo.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Having said that personal insults vs Farrell is out of order and may only harden his resolve.We need a change and we have to apply pressure either boycotting or protesting officially at games.We need to act somehow to change the status quo.

Boycotting and protesting would only make the local board retreat further into their bunker.  Farrell is on a contract to the end of next season so he's not going anywhere willingly.

It's an awful situation and it may take a failure to finish in the top four for anything to happen.

Dumbarton strike me as one of the teams that might find themselves in Clyde’s current predicament at some point in the next few years. I do think there will be some other jobbies flushed before them, but they appear to have gone through the motions since relegation and you can only get away with that for so long, and the league is generally getting stronger with the new additions. 

Farrell will clearly get emptied at some point which might solve a lot of the problems but there always seems to be some boardroom chaos and a real disconnect between the supporters and the people running the club. 

Hope I’m wrong, and could be miles off the mark with my assessment but it’s just a hunch I’ve got.

5 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Dumbarton strike me as one of the teams that might find themselves in Clyde’s current predicament at some point in the next few years. I do think there will be some other jobbies flushed before them, but they appear to have gone through the motions since relegation and you can only get away with that for so long, and the league is generally getting stronger with the new additions. 

Farrell will clearly get emptied at some point which might solve a lot of the problems but there always seems to be some boardroom chaos and a real disconnect between the supporters and the people running the club. 

Hope I’m wrong, and could be miles off the mark with my assessment but it’s just a hunch I’ve got.

You are not wrong, but you may be too generous with your timescale, it could be as soon as next season.  Here's a link which covers the situation.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20240118/282540138195021

An absolute horror show yesterday by the sounds of it. The recent run of form is worse than I thought would be possible for this group of players to perform. However, we don’t actually look that strong personnel-wise now after recent squad movements and injuries. The left back situation is unfortunate and I’m far from sold by Lennon. In Goals, thankfully Hogarth as better than Broun but undoubtedly a massive downgrade on Long. In Central Midfield it’s absolutely baffling that Findlay Gray is stuck on the bench. A midfield pairing of Malcom/Blair and Wilson is one of the weakest in the league I would suspect. Malcom is a huge liability in possession, whilst Blair and Wilson are fairly weak when competing for second balls. I think the pressure to move Pignateillo to Midfield is huge now.

It’s a shame to see players like Ruth and Pignateillo stuck in this team as they are a pleasure to watch at this level.

With the players signing contract extensions it’s hard to believe Farrell will be going anywhere anytime soon but for a third season running we’re reaching a time period where he ultimately doesn’t deserve to remain in charge.

No comment from me on the off-field issues but certainly makes constantly grim reading. 

The state of our pitch is once again absolutely atrocious and with upcoming fixtures (and presumably less help for the ground staff than last season when Rangers were assisting) it could be pretty much unplayable by the Peterhead game. I’ve never wanted us to go down the Astro route and took some pride in us having a proper grass pitch but this season, and last, has swung my view completely. If financially viable it makes so much sense for a ground affected by the tide, in one of the wettest locations in the country and with limited resources/personnel to maintain a decent standard of grass pitch.

55 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

An absolute horror show yesterday by the sounds of it. The recent run of form is worse than I thought would be possible for this group of players to perform. However, we don’t actually look that strong personnel-wise now after recent squad movements and injuries. The left back situation is unfortunate and I’m far from sold by Lennon. In Goals, thankfully Hogarth as better than Broun but undoubtedly a massive downgrade on Long. In Central Midfield it’s absolutely baffling that Findlay Gray is stuck on the bench. A midfield pairing of Malcom/Blair and Wilson is one of the weakest in the league I would suspect. Malcom is a huge liability in possession, whilst Blair and Wilson are fairly weak when competing for second balls. I think the pressure to move Pignateillo to Midfield is huge now.

It’s a shame to see players like Ruth and Pignateillo stuck in this team as they are a pleasure to watch at this level.

With the players signing contract extensions it’s hard to believe Farrell will be going anywhere anytime soon but for a third season running we’re reaching a time period where he ultimately doesn’t deserve to remain in charge.

No comment from me on the off-field issues but certainly makes constantly grim reading. 

The state of our pitch is once again absolutely atrocious and with upcoming fixtures (and presumably less help for the ground staff than last season when Rangers were assisting) it could be pretty much unplayable by the Peterhead game. I’ve never wanted us to go down the Astro route and took some pride in us having a proper grass pitch but this season, and last, has swung my view completely. If financially viable it makes so much sense for a ground affected by the tide, in one of the wettest locations in the country and with limited resources/personnel to maintain a decent standard of grass pitch.

Yesterday was as bad as anything served up under Jim Duffy.  I kept getting flashbacks of Conor Scullion and Ruaridh Langan.

Broomhill are due to play at ‘home’ on Tuesday evening and if that goes ahead, which is be surprised at given the state of it after yesterdays game, I think we’ll struggle to have it playable for next weekend.  With Broomhill due to play on it again on Sunday, three games in a week, it’s simply not sustainable. It’s borderline playable as a public park but at senior level it’s an utter embarrassment.

The pitch issue underlines some of the fundamental issues we face. Ground sharing doesn’t make sense but it’s a financial necessity due to our ownership issue, but not helped by naivety at boardroom level and a lack of proper maintenance. The whole thing is a shambles at the moment from top to bottom.

5 hours ago, Victor mcdade said:

So is anyone going to tell us what the comments were that were aimed at farrell?

Does it really matter? If they were personal then it crosses a line. He’s doing the job he’s employed to do, some may not agree but no one should be getting personal about it.

Ultimately Faz was tasked with getting us into the play offs, right now we are there, if we finish 4th then it will be job done as far as our daft board are concerned. Finish below 4th and they will need to answer some serious questions from the fans. 

As much as I dislike Farrell, I don’t recall this ever happening? Given it came from the FB page, I’m sure it’s me that’s wrong. Unless they’re referring to after the 2-2 at Stirling, but he didn’t say anything along those lines as far as I recall.

43583058-1750-435F-AD9F-570136A13972.jpeg.8cb020de2bb3d674d95d5787d4de8840.jpeg

Edited by FifeSons

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

As much as I dislike Farrell, I don’t recall this ever happening? Given it came from the FB page, I’m sure it’s me that’s wrong.

Fairly sure it was a fan in said group saying that after he waved to them or done a q&a or something like that

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Does it really matter? If they were personal then it crosses a line. He’s doing the job he’s employed to do, some may not agree but no one should be getting personal about it.

Ultimately Faz was tasked with getting us into the play offs, right now we are there, if we finish 4th then it will be job done as far as our daft board are concerned. Finish below 4th and they will need to answer some serious questions from the fans. 

Wasn’t he ultimately tasked with getting us promoted? If by the playoffs, then great, but the playoffs themselves are meaningless if you don’t win them.

FWIW, I don’t think we’ll even make the playoffs. I think we’ll struggle to scrape another double figures worth of points from these next 12 games.

(Last season we took 15 points from our last 12 games, which would be enough for the playoffs, should we repeat it. Though I'd say the drop off this season has been even more dramatic and a good few of those 15 points were acquired in dead rubbers, under absolutely no pressure, when the title was gone and we were guaranteed playoffs. That said, it's all meaningless; make the playoffs/don't make the playoffs, we'll still be in L2 next season managed by Stevie Farrell.)

Edited by FifeSons

38 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

As much as I dislike Farrell, I don’t recall this ever happening? Given it came from the FB page, I’m sure it’s me that’s wrong. Unless they’re referring to after the 2-2 at Stirling, but he didn’t say anything along those lines as far as I recall.

As someone who writes for the aforementioned publications, the only time I can remember Faz having a pop at the fans was after Annan away last season when we won 1-0. And the players got an absolute bucketload of stick leaving the pitch, despite us winning.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

As someone who writes for the aforementioned publications, the only time I can remember Faz having a pop at the fans was after Annan away last season when we won 1-0. And the players got an absolute bucketload of stick leaving the pitch, despite us winning.

Aye, but you've clearly got an anti-Dumbarton agenda, Jan, so we can't trust any publications that would employ you.

46 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Wasn’t he ultimately tasked with getting us promoted? If by the playoffs, then great, but the playoffs themselves are meaningless if you don’t win them.

FWIW, I don’t think we’ll even make the playoffs. I think we’ll struggle to scrape another double figures worth of points from these next 12 games.

(Last season we took 15 points from our last 12 games, which would be enough for the playoffs, should we repeat it. Though I'd say the drop off this season has been even more dramatic and a good few of those 15 points were acquired in dead rubbers, under absolutely no pressure, when the title was gone and we were guaranteed playoffs. That said, it's all meaningless; make the playoffs/don't make the playoffs, we'll still be in L2 next season managed by Stevie Farrell.)

Nobody really knows for sure because the board has never made a statement about the aims for the club.

Just now, FifeSons said:

Aye, but you've clearly got an anti-Dumbarton agenda, Jan, so we can't trust any publications that would employ you.

Being accused of that on that Facebook group is probably one of the highlights of my career. Absolutely superb.