Sons' sorrow

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

First question...I'll get back to you 

Second question.,. pretty much, aye, but they and the staff were brilliant

Second point. They deserve a day and night on the skite.

I did the count after the ballots were cast, so can confirm that:

Cian Newbury was young player of the year, with 49.6% of the votes cast. Gallagher Lennon was runner up with 30% of the votes. Jay Hogarth was 3rd. 

Player of the year went to Michael Ruth, who polled 40% of the votes. There was a gap between Ruth and 3 players who were then separated by only a couple of votes - Gray, Lynas and Wallace were separated by 3 votes.

Can't say anything about the other awards (player's player etc) as I wasn't there last night due to family commitments earlier in the day. I'm not at all surprised by either result. We had 2 very good young players this season who were both recognised as such by fans. Cian was a worthy winner, but Gal has also done very well. For me its certainly a case of both players really growing into their roles. Newbury looks like he could be a very good player in that defensive midfielder/number 6 role and Lennon has put in some very good performances at left back as the season progressed.

Ruth's work rate  is incredible. The treatment he's taken over the course of the season from opposition defenders shows just how much of a threat teams see him to be. Fitting that he capped off his season with a fantastic goal on Friday night. That we had 3 players separated by 3 votes is  an indication of how consistent some of our team have been. Finlay Gray has had a really good season. Tony Wallace's goals have been really important for us. Lynas has done a fine job when called on. And amongst that we've had solid seasons from guys like Pigniatello and Orsi. Durnan returning showed what we missed when he was absent - he formed a solid partnership with Crighton when we were able to play them together.

Player's Player of the year was Michael Ruth

Trust Travel POTY was Aron Lynas

Top Goalscorer was Tony Wallace

Sonstrust Award for service to Trust and Club was Joanne McBride

Great turnout from Team management and players; fair to say the latter were in high spirits throughout the evening😄 (and with good reason!)

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think that's unduly harsh on Aron Lynas, and I certainly think that he's worth retaining.   He's benefitted from Mark Durnan's return to the team.

I do though agree with taking tough decisions on some others, especially as we'll now be playing in League One, and I'd like to think that Faz and the club Board has been preparing for two possible scenarios.

Not for me, I'm afraid OKI. Cannot fault his overall effort and his performance on Friday, after being thrown in at the deep-end, was really impressive, but he's just not up to the step-up to L1. That's not to say he won't be retained due to budget constraints and do a decent enough job as a squad player. And even more importantly, that my opinion, is more often that not, absolutely wrong!

Edited by FifeSons

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Deputy Keeper said:

Trust Travel POTY was Aron Lynas

That's amazing. The loonies in our support are nothing if not predictable :lol:

Edited by FifeSons

Posted (edited)

Now maybe isn't the time, while we're still celebrating (or maybe it's exactly the right time?), but we must not let the promotion paper over the cracks (understatement), failings and unanswered questions of the ownership and boardroom situation. I know the Trust won't, but I hope the average fan who maybe isn't as well informed, just thinks things are suddenly now all fine and dandy because we're in L1. What the promotion has done is buy us some very crucial time, but the scrutiny of Neil MacKay and Cognitive Capital must not go away.

Spoiler

A much more unpopular opinion will be that there are still question marks over Stevie Farrell, too.

Edited by FifeSons

15 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Not for me, I'm afraid OKI. Cannot fault his overall effort and his performance on Friday, after being thrown in at the deep-end, was really impressive, but he's just not up to the step-up to L1. That's not to say he won't be retained due to budget constraints and do a decent enough job as a squad player. And even more importantly, that my opinion, is more often that not, absolutely wrong!

Very much this. A League 2 squad player shouldn’t be coming up a league with us, unless they have potential to improve. You only have to look at Stirling Albion to see what happens when you hand out too many deals to your League 2 squad (and they won the league comfortably, we finished 4th).

17 hours ago, Silverton End said:

With Hamilton Academical going up to the Championship today hopefully they'll see sense & let young Newbury continue his development with Sons next season.

Fingers crossed but honestly think he'd do well in the championship

18 minutes ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

Fingers crossed but honestly think he'd do well in the championship

He seems to have really enjoyed playing regularly for us.

But aye, it's a case of fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Now maybe isn't the time, while we're still celebrating (or maybe it's exactly the right time?), but we must not let the promotion paper over the cracks (understatement), failings and unanswered questions of the ownership and boardroom situation. I know the Trust won't, but I hope the average fan who maybe isn't as well informed, just thinks things are suddenly now all fine and dandy because we're in L1. What the promotion has done is buy us some very crucial time, but the scrutiny of Neil MacKay and Cognitive Capital must not go away.

Reveal hidden contents

A much more unpopular opinion will be that there are still question marks over Stevie Farrell, too.

I don't know many Sons fans who aren't realistic about the task ahead but we're allowed to bask in this moment.

And the scrutiny will continue, indeed it will likely include influence as the Trust Director has hit the ground running in club affairs.  And call it intuition but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the ownership tectonic plates start to shift.  Just don't quote me on that, this is DFC we're talking about.

45 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't know many Sons fans who aren't realistic about the task ahead but we're allowed to bask in this moment.

And the scrutiny will continue, indeed it will likely include influence as the Trust Director has hit the ground running in club affairs.  And call it intuition but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the ownership tectonic plates start to shift.  Just don't quote me on that, this is DFC we're talking about.

It's good to see Cameron getting off to a good start. What we need though is a football man on the board. What about a club legend like, for example, Craig Brittain?