Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

I was out this morning at Bonhill Primary school delivering tennis lessons as part of their health and sports week, that's not news but Finlay Gray in full Dumbarton training kit delivering football sessions on behalf of DFC is a welcome sight.

If he was interested in moving I don't think he'd be doing that for the club.

Mon the Sons

He is still technically contracted so if this was something that was set up previously he probably would need to do it even if he was leaving. I sincerely hope that he stays though, him and Ruth are two guys you'll never replace like for like, keeping both of them would be huge. 

My sources are telling me that Matty Shiels has been spoken to but that Clyde have offered “much, much more”. I’m led to believe they are offering silly money and they’ve already beaten us to a signing or two. Hearing that even Mick Kennedy is jealous of Jobby McCall’s blank cheque book. Dangerous times for our homeless friends based on the figures being reported.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

My sources are telling me that Matty Shiels has been spoken to but that Clyde have offered “much, much more”. I’m led to believe they are offering silly money and they’ve already beaten us to a signing or two. Hearing that even Mick Kennedy is jealous of Jobby McCall’s blank cheque book. Dangerous times for our homeless friends based on the figures being reported.

Boom before the bust again!

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Em no we have a mystery benefactor, it’ll be fine…

Spoiler

Unless he:

a) Gets bored

b) His money dries up

c) He pulls the money due to ill health Brooks Mileson style

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

"Much more" to a pauper club like Dumbarton is probably a tenner a week, to be fair. Th€ Bull¥ W££ pull is likely to be the bigger factor.

You might be more right than you think.  If Clyde or any other club are being bankrolled then we are being mugged big time.

5 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

"Much more" to a pauper club like Dumbarton is probably a tenner a week, to be fair. Th€ Bull¥ W££ pull is likely to be the bigger factor.

Enjoy it while it lasts. You misspelled "proper" btw

In all seriousness, it wouldn't really surprise me if Clyde were able to offer more to Shiels than yourselves, even without our added muscle. You boys already have Greig Young, who seems to be highly-rated and presumably won't be on buttons. For us, left back is one of two priority areas for recruitment at the moment. Resigning Ruth and, if it so transpires, Gray and/or Orsi will also take up a fair bit more precious budget that it probably isn't sensible to fire into another left back, even if he can do a turn at CB and further forward.

With all that said, it would be very funny if we are simply flinging about ruinous amounts and blowing good, honest clubs out of the water. Great for the heel narrative.

12 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

In all seriousness, it wouldn't really surprise me if Clyde were able to offer more to Shiels than yourselves, even without our added muscle. You boys already have Greig Young, who seems to be highly-rated and presumably won't be on buttons. For us, left back is one of two priority areas for recruitment at the moment. Resigning Ruth and, if it so transpires, Gray and/or Orsi will also take up a fair bit more precious budget that it probably isn't sensible to fire into another left back, even if he can do a turn at CB and further forward.

With all that said, it would be very funny if we are simply flinging about ruinous amounts and blowing good, honest clubs out of the water. Great for the heel narrative.

Shiels doesn't actually want to play left back. He filled in there for us but he was quite open in saying when he came that he much prefers playing further forward. We absolutely need a left winger and he's good pals with a number of our squad (he does coaching schools with Pigniatello). He's a really good fit for us but I wouldn't blame him for following the coin.

I actually forgot for a moment that Tony Wallace is a complete haddy when it comes to playing above League Two, so that's a very fair point. If Shiels does sign up to Ian McCall's nut-cracking sledgehammer squad, however, then I can only envisage a Roberto Carlos-esque role for him.

I don’t know what’s been done in terms of commercial revenue, sponsorship etc. We did earn a fair bit from the Scottish cup last season, I estimated around 70k but I don’t know how much was used in January. 

We do have a Clyde fan putting money in, again amounts are unknown. His funding is based on the club moving back to Glasgow at some point, and obviously go up the leagues if possible. 

2 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I don’t know what’s been done in terms of commercial revenue, sponsorship etc. We did earn a fair bit from the Scottish cup last season, I estimated around 70k but I don’t know how much was used in January. 

We do have a Clyde fan putting money in, again amounts are unknown. His funding is based on the club moving back to Glasgow at some point, and obviously go up the leagues if possible. 

The figures that have been quoted to me are absolutely not being sustained by Scottish Cup runs. Real eye watering stuff. One of your latest recruits in particular will be wiping his arse with tenners for the forseeable. 

Fairly surprised the dough is not being pumped into something more beneficial than chucking expensive 1 and 2 year deals at lower league jobbers TBH. If Clyde don’t win the league at a canter McCall should chuck it.

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The figures that have been quoted to me are absolutely not being sustained by Scottish Cup runs. Real eye watering stuff. One of your latest recruits in particular will be wiping his arse with tenners for the forseeable. 

Fairly surprised the dough is not being pumped into something more beneficial than chucking expensive 1 and 2 year deals at lower league jobbers TBH. If Clyde don’t win the league at a canter McCall should chuck it.

It will be if we win it. 

Having heard what we were paying Steven Thicot in League One, I’d be delighted if we could spunk money on someone who actually somewhat resembled a footballer for a change.

It's challenging not to feel incredibly resentful when a fellow diddy club embarks on an artificially inflated spending binge. More challenging still when that club is Homeless Clyd£ ffs.

With a bit of luck there will be some glorious schadenfreude incoming at some point down the line. I'm afraid I won't have any spare shrapnel for their survival buckets.

26 minutes ago, George Parr said:

It's challenging not to feel incredibly resentful when a fellow diddy club embarks on an artificially inflated spending binge. More challenging still when that club is Homeless Clyd£ ffs.

With a bit of luck there will be some glorious schadenfreude incoming at some point down the line. I'm afraid I won't have any spare shrapnel for their survival buckets.

Why resentful ?  Clyde's situation isn't the cause of our financial woes.  Those woes make Stevie Farrell's job a whole lot harder, and it won't just be Clyde outbidding us.

16 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Why resentful ?  Clyde's situation isn't the cause of our financial woes.  Those woes make Stevie Farrell's job a whole lot harder, and it won't just be Clyde outbidding us.

I'm quite aware that many clubs will have a larger budget than Dumbarton for player recruitment. That's fine, that's reality

What's frustrating is other clubs getting ahead by spending beyond their means.

Mccall is a pain in the arse.His family have some tie to Dumbarton but he personally hates the place and said he would rather give up managing than manage Dumbarton.

wee c**t that he is.