Sons' sorrow

14 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone forking out £135 for a round of golf at Gleddoch? I think it's a really good idea, one that I was ready to jump at until I read the details. Surely arranging it at the golf club in our own town would be better for community engagement? I also appreciate it's a fundraiser for the club but asking folk to get a team of 3 together to pool £400 for a course that I can tee off at tomorrow for £35 seems a bit OTT to me. 

I got excited when I seen golf day, thinking it would be something that would interest me. Gleddoch is a cracking course, much better than Dumbarton and probably way more accommodating too. Dumbarton is fine but can be tricky for some members to get tee times at the weekends, I believe.

I do agree it is OTT in price though and it turns out it's on 21st July and I have plans. Also worth noting that the 21st July will also be the last day of The Open. Perhaps not a great date for keen golfers to be out playing if they also like watching it. I hope it is a success, but I'm not sure how much interest there will be given the date and costs involved.

5 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I got excited when I seen golf day, thinking it would be something that would interest me. Gleddoch is a cracking course, much better than Dumbarton and probably way more accommodating too. Dumbarton is fine but can be tricky for some members to get tee times at the weekends, I believe.

I do agree it is OTT in price though and it turns out it's on 21st July and I have plans. Also worth noting that the 21st July will also be the last day of The Open. Perhaps not a great date for keen golfers to be out playing if they also like watching it. I hope it is a success, but I'm not sure how much interest there will be given the date and costs involved.

Not denying that Dumbarton isn't a great course but the majority of the folk who will go to a DFC golf day are likely from here and the surrounding areas. If I want a beer or two on what would be a good day out I need to get the train to Langbank, that's a pain in the arse. 

Hadn't even twigged they were holding it on the final day of The Open. Really silly. 

Obviously we still have some players to come in still, but with what we have currently I think I would be starting with something like this.

image.png.1671987f3162ffbccdeaec20dbdd3720.png

Most would probably start Hilton over Wallace in that position but I'd like to see what he can offer and go from there and hopefully, we bring in some good competition for a few of those positions.

2 minutes ago, super-son said:

Obviously we still have some players to come in still, but with what we have currently I think I would be starting with something like this.

image.png.1671987f3162ffbccdeaec20dbdd3720.png

Most would probably start Hilton over Wallace in that position but I'd like to see what he can offer and go from there and hopefully, we bring in some good competition for a few of those positions.

I'd probably agree RE Hilton, but (and it's something I've said for a while) I'd like to see what Tony Wallace could do as a centre forward at some point. Especially up a division where his lack of pace out wide might be more of an issue. I think he's the best finisher at the club; he's got a natural instinct to get in the right place to score, he's good in the air, has a superb touch and is really effective at holding play up.

We'll need (at the very least) one more out and out striker. But Wallace could be a decent option as a plan B imo. As shown when he linked up with Ruth against Peterhead...

As a starting XI though I like the look of that. Defensively especially, the back five looks more than good enough to be competitive at this level. Gray, Shiels and Ruth then give us a bit of an X Factor further forward. For early June as a side with (aside from the absolute mess up the A9) the shortest pre-season, I don't think we could be in much of a better position.

Maybe a bit out there, but I wonder if we could play Ruth out wide like we did with Robert Thomson. He has the Pace for it and as we have seen with Thomo, height out wide can be useful. He would still have the option of cutting in and he tends to be out wide quite frequently running the channels anyway.

Posted (edited)

I reckon you could put Tony Wallace anywhere and he'd give you the same level of performance. However he's a squad player at this level and Shiels will play every game he's fit at left wing barring disasters in defence. Of our current squad players I see Hilton as in the starting 11 but it's a position we need more in. If Lynas is confirmed I don't see us adding any more defenders (even though I do think we're still light for centre backs) so that for me leaves an attacker and a centre mid to come in, as I think we all know Blair and Wilson are probably not going to see much game time. Good thing is we aren't scrambling around for players and we've got a squad of boys that all seem to love playing with each other. It should go a long way this season.

Edited by The Moonster

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Craig McGuffie.

A player I always quite liked. Seen him released recently and thought I'd be delighted if we could get a player like him on board, but didn't expect anything of it.

Not sure how he has actually been the last few years though...

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

A player I always quite liked. Seen him released recently and thought I'd be delighted if we could get a player like him on board, but didn't expect anything of it.

Not sure how he has actually been the last few years though...

If I'm honest he's a player I thought we might sign for about 5 seasons now. Interested to see where fits in. 

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd probably agree RE Hilton, but (and it's something I've said for a while) I'd like to see what Tony Wallace could do as a centre forward at some point. Especially up a division where his lack of pace out wide might be more of an issue. I think he's the best finisher at the club; he's got a natural instinct to get in the right place to score, he's good in the air, has a superb touch and is really effective at holding play up.

We'll need (at the very least) one more out and out striker. But Wallace could be a decent option as a plan B imo. As shown when he linked up with Ruth against Peterhead...

As a starting XI though I like the look of that. Defensively especially, the back five looks more than good enough to be competitive at this level. Gray, Shiels and Ruth then give us a bit of an X Factor further forward. For early June as a side with (aside from the absolute mess up the A9) the shortest pre-season, I don't think we could be in much of a better position.

With his size and decent technical skills, Tony Wallace might be suited to being a back up for Ruth. He could hold the ball up well and bring supporting players into the play. Different option from Ruth and won't be as mobile, but a target forward might suit his skill set quite well.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

If I'm honest he's a player I thought we might sign for about 5 seasons now. Interested to see where fits in. 

I wonder if he will be in competition with Hilton for that spot behind Ruth.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wonder if he will be used in that role in behind Ruth. He seems like he'd be a good fit in there and possibly have that bit of creativity we all desire.

Not sure how Queens rated him last season, though.

Posted (edited)

McGuffie is one of the guys I hoped we'd be after when I was combing through the released list. I think there's a bit of the Froxy's about him in that he A) Only scores outrageous goals and B) Is naturally a terrific footballer, but maybe hasn't always taken full advantage of that to actually influence games. But he's someone with a bit of matchwinning magic about them, and that's something I was hoping we'd add this summer. Plenty of League One experience at a good age too.

Another good option to have. And someone who will be hungry to be starting games every week (like Ruth last season) after spending a big chunk of his career as a sub.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

McGuffie is one of those guys I’d consider a bit of a ‘luxury’ player but he’s something completely different from what we have and probably the type of player we need in the squad. He can score a goal from nothing and maybe a proper run of games with someone like ourselves is what he needs to hit a bit of form instead of just showing his ability in flashes. Happy enough with that signing.