Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Further to that point, I see their possession last night was 50/50. 

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

East Kilbride would probably have most of the ball against the majority of league 1/2 teams regardless of the score.

With respect to you both, possession is a measure of a team's control of the ball, it is not a reliable guide to what they do with it.  I repeat, we need a footballing presence in midfield.

16 hours ago, TamCarson said:

The club were meant to go out and engage with the local boys club... They should have discussed this with all the teams playing at the highest level in their age group. 

They didn't. Maybe with the elections Gordon was a bit busy. 

No they did engage with DU and Haldane at both age groups (Riverside tbh were ignored) but from what I heard it was already a done deal with the 2 Haldane age groups and the discussion with DU was just a tick box exercise because of the supposed existing tie in. Due to the nature of how it was done, It was essentially asking both DU age groups to give a few of their best players to old Haldane / New Dumbarton and then fold. Leaving the other boys on the scrap heap.

Lessons learned for DFC should be that, while taking over any existing team at the age group is the cheapest and easiest option, It has this negative impact on boys football in the town impacting multiple teams. They should have identified a local coach looking to work their badges with a League team not already linked with an existing boys team, held open trials and selected the best based on that. 

meant to add...its unfortunately bad PR for the club as others have said as In my view the community aspect should be the main driver for having youth age group teams  (U19s, U18s, U17s, U16s etc)

(The U20s can replace what would have been a reserve team but only for some of the young first team players needing game time) 

Its just extremely unlikely that anyone playing Youth Football at the above ages is going to be able to step up into a L1/L2 team. Dumbarton would be better off focusing on young players falling out of the pro youth set ups.

Without taking sides, its more realistic that the local boys could play at WOSFL level and would have a better pathway at the Vale.

Which makes you think it is just a piece of the jigsaw for funding for the Astro. Fair enough, The area is crying out for more football pitches and if its gets another through DFC is a benefit to the whole community. 

59 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

Which makes you think it is just a piece of the jigsaw for funding for the Astro. 

Probably spot on.  The club is struggling financially and the owners contribute nothing, so an artificial pitch is probably seen as a way of bringing in money.  I just hope that if it actually happens it doesn't alienate anyone in the process.

I was just updating things on the when we last played every team on the infowire forum when I realised that in Stevie Farrell's tenure, we've played 29 out of the 41 other spfl teams. I found that quite interesting but now I've typed it out, it probably isn't. 

I also noticed that Farrell is the 4th longest serving spfl manager too. Only Dougie Samuel, Stewart Petrie and Davie Martindale have been in post longer.

Eta We haven't played the 29th team yet but will have once we play Arbroath next month.

Edited by microdave

12 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Cammy Ballantyne freed by ST Johnstone ..would he be the MF we are needing?Is it realistic even trying to sign him?

Maybe it would have been better if we hadn't extended contracts to certain midfielders when there was no pressure to do so, especially now we are up a division.

28 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Cammy Ballantyne freed by ST Johnstone ..would he be the MF we are needing?Is it realistic even trying to sign him?

Joined Linfield a month or so ago, so probably not ;)

https://linfieldfc.com/ballantyne-joins-the-blues#:~:text=Linfield Football Club are delighted,up before moving to St.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We wont sign another midfielder, we are overloaded with players who can play there. We’ll sign a defender and a striker.

Or we'll end up getting in another 2 left backs

49 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Sorry didnt see he had gone.Who would you like to realistically see us sign for that MF playmaker role?

You have a midfield playmaker already. You're inexplicably currently fielding him as a winger.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You have a midfield playmaker already. You're inexplicably currently fielding him as a winger.

In Farrell we do not trust.

Not the first time he has done this.Just so frustrating.I hope we put out a strong team vs Airdrie and drop this experimenting crap.We can organise bounce games if we want to give players minutes.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Correct. We also have Hilton who is more of a ball playing midfielder. Finlay Gray is a classic box to box type and big Sena who is a destroyer. The midfield is well balanced IMO, we just have a couple of extra squad players who can play centre midfield who are probably going to be playing a level or two above their ability.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Correct. We also have Hilton who is more of a ball playing midfielder. Finlay Gray is a classic box to box type and big Sena who is a destroyer. The midfield is well balanced IMO, we just have a couple of extra squad players who can play centre midfield who are probably going to be playing a level or two above their ability.

I'd agree with this. If we're playing a 4-1-4-1 or something along those lines, I actually do think we have a decent balance.

Sena to sit. Gray to buzz about and Hilton to play a bit. Hilton has looked good so far, but he's maybe the only one with question marks about how effective he can be at this level.

I'd also like to see us playing Carlo in there, so who knows. If we bring in another CB (which is the aim) then we could see Miller move to RB and Carlo further forward.

There might not be depth there if we get an injury, but I doubt we're in a position to afford another player of the ability to a Gray, Sena or even Hilton to just provide depth. And that'll be the same for the other clubs I expect us to be around; Stenny, Annan, Kelty etc.

I don't see any reference to Craig McGuffie in either of those last two posts, yet we have a supporter of his previous clubs describing him as a 'midfield playmaker', something we should perhaps consider in the wake of Cian Newbury's departure.

Having someone who can quietly read the play, take the ball or break up and opposition move and then find a team-mate nine times out of ten is an invaluable asset.

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't see any reference to Craig McGuffie in either of those last two posts, yet we have a supporter of his previous clubs describing him as a 'midfield playmaker', something we should perhaps consider in the wake of Cian Newbury's departure.

Having someone who can quietly read the play, take the ball or break up and opposition move and then find a team-mate nine times out of ten is an invaluable asset.

McGuffie wont break up play or win the ball. But he has great ability on the ball and can make things happen in an attackjng midfield / no 10 role.

4 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Sorry didnt see he had gone.Who would you like to realistically see us sign for that MF playmaker role?

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Beaten to it. Incredible that fans can see exactly what McGuffie is capable but managers seem to miss it.