Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Ah well, totally meaningless game.

Maybe so but the group table is embarrassing reading never expected Dumbarton to win today but their performance against East Kilbride annoyed me great performance against airdrie up to the 60th minute then they fell off a cliff and same again today do we have a fitness problem ? 

Just now, kenrobell said:

Maybe so but the group table is embarrassing reading never expected Dumbarton to win today but their performance against East Kilbride annoyed me great performance against airdrie up to the 60th minute then they fell off a cliff and same again today do we have a fitness problem ? 

We treat these games like friendlies and TBF Airdrie and Aberdeen are full time.There could be a fitness problem vs these sort of teams.I would reserve judgement until the league games start.If we drop off late in games vs L1 teams then you may well be right.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So you'll be going to Inverness ?

Like the rest of us he will be there in spirit.

Im guessing wild horses wont drag Sons fans to Inverness.

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Like the rest of us he will be there in spirit.

Im guessing wild horses wont drag Sons fans to Inverness.

Why not? I'm on holiday and absolutely gutted I can't make it. Why wouldn't we be trying to muster the littlest of optimism going into the league opener after promotion.

I'm not reading too much into these glorified friendlies. If you look at the past, even teams that do well in this competition (most recently Forfar) can quite easily go on to struggle through the real stuff when it gets going in August.

3 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

We treat these games like friendlies and TBF Airdrie and Aberdeen are full time.There could be a fitness problem vs these sort of teams.I would reserve judgement until the league games start.If we drop off late in games vs L1 teams then you may well be right.

How long can we keep doing that though 

and still expect fans to buy tickets a friendly is 10 quid usually cup games are 19 quid if going into these games you know the Manager has no care for them why put your money in your pocket 

10 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

I’d say the League Cup has absolutely zero predictive power in how our seasons turn out.

I wont be judging us on these cup games given we’ve not had our strongest 11 out on the park yet but that 2nd half today was as bad as it gets. Good standard of opposition aside to see a team chuck it like that and concede so many goals is concerning. It was 6 going on 11 or 12, and I’m not exaggerating. We look very dodgy at the back and the goals against column for the last few games would back that up. 

I’m hoping we can get a good standard of centre back in ASAP, and a bit of work on our set piece delivery and crossing wouldn’t go amiss either. 

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Why not? I'm on holiday and absolutely gutted I can't make it. Why wouldn't we be trying to muster the littlest of optimism going into the league opener after promotion.

I'm not reading too much into these glorified friendlies. If you look at the past, even teams that do well in this competition (most recently Forfar) can quite easily go on to struggle through the real stuff when it gets going in August.

Aye fine, but it's usually better to approach the real stuff with a wee bit of confidence and momentum - we currently have neither and having watched the late capitulation against Airdrie last week, that account by BBPF of today's second-half at Pittodrie is scary.

We can choose to airily waive away the League Cup as glorified friendlies but it's harder to waive away 13 goals conceded in 4 games, with the last 6 coming in only 48 minutes or so of open play.  And the comments from Dons fans on the match thread make for very embarrassing reading.

I'll be at Inverness and we'll hopefully see an upturn there.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

It's a funny one that. At 0-0 at half-time we were very comfortable. Neither keeper had anything to do until about five minutes before half time when Brett made two excellent saves and Aron Lynas cleared one off the line. Whilst we scored but had it chalked off for offside. I genuinely felt we'd have a decent chance of taking it to penalties.

As soon as we conceded about 10 seconds into the second-half it was like the players just had the life dragged out of them. You know, as a fan, when you know where losing a game and you just want to go home? At 2-0 I felt like that and all our players looked like it. If I wasn't working I'd have been in Dundee by full time.

We made all the subs, which probably weakened us a bit further, and it was a case of how many Aberdeen fancied. Brett was excellent and kept it respectable.

That being said, we were playing a side who'll be top six in the Premiership and who obviously had a bollocking from their new gaffer at half time. If we'd gone up today and lost 4-0 with two goals in either half then it probably would've been what I was expecting. So 4-0/6-0 doesn't really make a massive difference in the grand scheme of things. It's probably just how unexpected it was to ship six in the second-half after looking the part for the first 45.

A lot of the goals we lost were really basic stuff. The first is a simple ball forward. The second we have a host of chances to clear it. The third (I think?) was Kalvin trying to skin a man on the edge of the box. The sixth a free header from a corner. I've kind of forgotten the rest or their order.

But let's be honest here. We lost 5-0 to Stranraer six months ago and went on to get promoted. And that was a far worse performance and result against far inferior opponents that the guys we faced today. It was a match we could've done without, it was a scoreline we could've done without, but if we have a decent season and A) Stay up or B) Push towards a solid mid table finish then it's not one that I'm going to remember anything about come May.

Next week is going to be a totally different test, and one that might help give us more of an idea of what to expect this season. Because I've still no idea how good we are; against Queen of the South we played a fringe side and were poor. But still could've taken something from the game if we'd scored when we were on top. Against Airdrie we looked superb for 70 mins or so and then crumbled. Against Aberdeen it was 45 and then a crumbling. It's down to Faz to work out why that's happening and why we're looking a bit fragile. Especially when we concede.

It wasn't all negative though. I'm looking forward to seeing how Finlay Gray and Sena develop as a partnership, there were moments today where I thought they were very impressive. And both should compliment each other. 

It's more minutes in the legs for Michael Ruth who looked a bit sharper than last week. It's more minutes in the legs for Greig Young and it's a bit of game time for Joel Mumbongo. Albeit it was basically a running session for him given the game was long gone when he came on.

I'm looking forward to Inverness next week. I might regret saying that when I'm sat on a train home after a piss poor defeat this time next week. Or I might be tipping us for the league after finally winning up there. Who knows!

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye fine, but it's usually better to approach the real stuff with a wee bit of confidence and momentum - we currently have neither and having watched the late capitulation against Airdrie last week, that account by BBPF of today's second-half at Pittodrie is scary.

We can choose to airily waive away the League Cup as glorified friendlies but it's harder to waive away 13 goals conceded in 4 games, with the last 6 coming in only 48 minutes or so of open play.

I'll be at Inverness and we'll hopefully see an upturn there.

I agree with parts of what you are saying, and would be slightly more concerned if we had fielded what we/I see as our "starting 11" in each of the matches. But in every one of our games, key players have been left out. We all know we don't have the luxury of quality in that kind of depth.

Additionally, and perhaps my only concern, we are still missing a key part in our defence and I would still like us to bring in someone who can partner Durnan at CB. Crighton leaving when he did, has definitely left us with a hole to fill and I would like to see us bring in a 1st choice centre half, given it looked like Sean would be playing there with Mark.

You could argue that Faz has experimented too much, given we don't really know what our defence will look like. Will Carlo play further forward, will we go with Young, Clark or Shiels on the left and who will partner Durnan at CB. It looks like Millar at this point, and I'm not mega convinced by that. All that being said, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt in believing that he has an idea of who will start next weekend. I'd say he deserves at least the next couple of weeks, see how things are squaring up, and then we can criticise or praise him.

6 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

You could argue that Faz has experimented too much, given we don't really know what our defence will look like.

I’d have to agree with this. I fully understand he treats these games as getting minutes into the legs but I’d have thought over the course of 7 or 8 pre season games he’d have tried to field his best 11 at least a couple of times, injury permitting of course. 

The big priority now has to be getting a first choice centre back in, preferably before Saturday. 

It's looking imperative to me that we get Greig Young fit and starting at left back, the rest of the team seems to suffer when we have to move Shiels to left back, and given we know that isn't where Shiels wants to play as well I think Young might be a piece of the puzzle we need in place sooner than later. I understand we do not want to rush him and I'm fine with that but I do think he'll be important this season. 

What position would Shiels be best in? Is he best in defence or further forward? If Young can come back to any kind of form and fitness then its possible to accommodate both in the team, but I'm not sure where his best position would be? Centre half is still a must - we can start the season with Durnan and either Miller or Shiels partnering him, but we really do need another proper central defender. It''ll also be interesting to see how we line up and whether we'll play with 2 central midfielders or 3? It'll be Niang, Gray and somebody - will that somebody be another midfielder or will it be a more modern number 10 role?

I was reading Lennox herald today and saw faz saying something about being patient about a loan player coming in until after the cup games. We can hope and pray it may be Newbury but I think he’ll get game time with accies this season.