Sons' sorrow

Well that was an interesting day out in Inverness yesterday.  Not only did we dig out a result, some of us won a watch with the train travel arrangements, although at times it was (literally) a close run thing 

The game didn't tell us too much we didn't already know.  When we get the balance correct, as in long spells of the second half, we look OK, but when we don't, as in the entire first-half, we really don't.  It was around 20 minutes before Finlay Gray actually touched the ball.

Secondly, it already looks as if Niang will be a big midfield presence this season, and it was a form of justice that we took a point following his ridiculous red card.

He'll miss Saturday's home game with Alloa, but if I was Faz I would stick with his (rather bold) back three of the second-half and move Mikey Miller into midfield as a direct replacement with Carlo and Matty Shiels operating as wing-backs.

A word too for big Joel Mumbongo who gave us some decent physical presence off the bench.  More generally I'd still hope for at least one, but hopefully two loanees as TBH there are a couple of guys in the squad who are looking more like back-up in League One.

As for Inverness, well yesterday was too soon to judge their prospects, especially with what's going on behind the scenes, but they won't get very far if they don't ditch their strange reluctance to shoot at goal.

I'd rather we didn't go through the 352 shit again. We done the exact same thing last season where it worked for a game or two and then was quickly ineffective. We kept the majority of this squad together and we done well playing the way we did last season. There's no need to go down the experimental formation route right now. Get our best players fit and back in their best positions and we'll do fine.

Edited by The Moonster

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd rather we didn't go through the 352 shit again. We done the exact same thing last season where it worked for a game or two and then was quickly ineffective. We kept the majority of this squad together and we done well playing the way we did last season. There's no need to go down the experimental formation route right now. Get our best players fit and back in their best positions and we'll do fine.

So, as a matter of interest what is your preferred back four, bearing in mind there's now no Crighton or Lennon ?  And FWIW, had we not changed it at half time yesterday we'd have taken hee-haw.

On the formation debate lest we forget that we started last year fully focused on playing 4-3-3, then ripped it up a few weeks into the season and tried a few things before settling on the 4-1-4-1.

FWIW the 3-5-2 worked really well yesterday. That's not to say that it would work against everyone, but it matched up with Inverness playing three at the back. And I thought Faz got the decision absolutely spot on. We were getting absolutely nothing if it stayed as it was.

It stopped Aron Lynas being isolated one-v-one in wide areas, and he was solid for most of the second-half. It meant Michael Ruth wasn't on his own against three centre-halves, it let us get Finlay Gray on the ball (which, as OKI mentions, he barely touched for the first 20 minutes) and both wing-backs performed well. Carlo especially was the best player on the park in the second-half.

I also really like the short burst we saw where Michael Ruth (for just about the first time) had a partner up front in Joel. And Kalvin also caused a few issues playing centrally.

I've no idea what shape Alloa play, so it could come down to that, but I wouldn't be averse to us starting that shape next week. Lynas/Durnan/Clark as the back three. Carlo and Shiels as wing-backs, Miller moving into his more natural position in midfield would maybe be how I'd play it if I was in Faz's shoes.

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So, as a matter of interest what is your preferred back four, bearing in mind there's now no Crighton or Lennon ?  And FWIW, had we not changed it at half time yesterday we'd have taken hee-haw.

There will be a Crighton replacement in the door soon enough, but Miller, Lynas or Clark can take their turns in there as and when required for now. I don't mind us changing formations during games, you obviously need to adapt but I want to avoid the "this worked last week let's do it again" tactics and perhaps go for a more professional "what does this game require". 

Getting Young fit and another centre back will help us hugely, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel in the meantime. 

For me we're still short a first choice centre half. I think yesterday was a vast improvement when we went to 3-5-2, but I'm not sure if we can play that way consistently? Wallace was a big issue for us yesterday and replacing him at half time made us far more competitive in midfield. But I'm not too sure that we can rely on Miller or Lynas playing in a back 3 all season, and that's still reliant on us signing another defender. Young is going to be key for us as we can't have Matty Shiels playing at left back and with absolutely nobody in front of him. Both fullbacks were left exposed at times in the first half and Caley were doubling up on them for much of the opening 45 minutes. 

I think this year has to be either 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. I don't like Hilton playing as a proper midfielder as I think that he's wasted when he isnt far enough forward that he can support a striker. So it''s probably going to have to be a back 4 with Niang and Gray as the central midfielders and Shiels as the left midfielder. I wouldn't actually be against Lynas playing right back, Carlo playing right midfield and Orsi being either Ruth's partner in a 4-4-2 or allowed to play off him and move about in a 4-4-1-1.  But the other clear option would be having Carlo at right back and Orsi ahead of him.

Would Mumbongo be worth starting next week and have Ruth playing off him? Thought he looked lively in his cameo yesterday. Tested the keeper with a good shot from a difficult angle and he might give Ruth a bit of support. 

Whatever way we end up playing, signing a centre half for the starting 11 has got to be a priority. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I don't mind us changing formations during games, you obviously need to adapt but I want to avoid the "this worked last week let's do it again" tactics and perhaps go for a more professional "what does this game require". 

Absolutely this. Ian Murray is the last manager I can remember who set his team up based on the opposition or what was needed for a specific game rather than just sticking with the same thing every week with the odd bit of tinkering in between. 

You obviously can’t predict exactly what is going to work in every game so Farrell done the right thing yesterday by changing it up which he deserves credit for. If we play the 352 against quick direct wingers for example, there is a good chance we’d get murdered.

I think we are all basically on the same page here; we should have a squad fluid enough to adapt to both the opposition on paper and real-time game situations, rather than get fixated on one rigid system.

In that regard it was good to see Faz make a bold decision at halftime, but the main takeaway for me was that Carlo's energy is best utilised further forward than right back.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think we are all basically on the same page here; we should have a squad fluid enough to adapt to both the opposition on paper and real-time game situations, rather than get fixated on one rigid system.

In that regard it was good to see Faz make a bold decision at halftime, but the main takeaway for me was that Carlo's energy is best utilised further forward than right back.

It is, but the only issue is that we are then leaving Lynas to do the defending. I love the guy and his effort but I think he might end up getting rinsed most weeks in league 1.

5 minutes ago, super-son said:

It is, but the only issue is that we are then leaving Lynas to do the defending. I love the guy and his effort but I think he might end up getting rinsed most weeks in league 1.

Historically I'm sure Mikey Miller was more of a right-back than a centre-half. 

Which again takes us back to the centre-half situation. If we can get someone who slots right in at the heart of the defence then it opens up a load of potential options.