Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Could be a contender for record low attendance tonight. At least it’s a proper team in Berwick and not a B team.

I'm quite looking forward to it. Purely on the basis I've not seen us play Berwick for years, and I'm interested to see a few of the fringe guys. Ideally we'll see Mumbongo starting, and probably Cammy Clark and Greig Young too. I'd like to see Panos getting some game time too against a decent Lowland League side.

33 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Could be a contender for record low attendance tonight. At least it’s a proper team in Berwick and not a B team.

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Funnily enough I was just sitting thinking I don't know if I can be bothered going along tonight as I've been busy all day. Ironically I was down at the stadium for several hours earlier.

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm quite looking forward to it. Purely on the basis I've not seen us play Berwick for years, and I'm interested to see a few of the fringe guys. Ideally we'll see Mumbongo starting, and probably Cammy Clark and Greig Young too. I'd like to see Panos getting some game time too against a decent Lowland League side.

I hope Young and Grivas get at least 45 each. Grivas scored 4 last Friday night and the U20 league is looking a tad below him by the looks of it. If he can cut it against Lowland League opposition I'd be inclined to look at a loan for him until January. 

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

The lowest ever at the Rock was 200 against Stenny in July 2021 but that could've been restricted numbers. I don't remember if that was the case at that point. If not that one then the 274 who saw us beat Alloa 5-0 in a midweek cup tie in December 15 will be the lowest.

Eta Actually, if we disregard the potential Covid affected Stenny match, the lowest was 259 against Rangers Colts in August 2021.

Edited by microdave

This is the most dominant half of football I have ever seen from a Sons team. We should be at least 7-0 up and we haven't got out of second gear.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Not exaggerating to say it could be 7 or 8.

one of the most inept halves of football I’ve ever seen. Keep persisting with playing out from the back, high line with the worst offside trap I’ve ever seen even though you’ve given the opponent half a dozen clear cut chances playing that way. Clearly the Berwick manager was taught at Mick Kennedy’s school of principles

Second half was poor after a decent first half. Five subs always disrupts play and stops the flow and there was a distinct casualness in a lot of the play. Hugely disappointing after the first half. Still we’ve done a lot worse at this stage of the Challenge Cup in previous years

That was one of the most one-sided games of football I've ever seen. The gulf in quality in the first-half was absolutely staggering. Take nothing away from some very handy play from our showing, but Berwick turned in probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a side playing against us. We were creating chances all over the shop, peppering the goal and all without really breaking into a sweat.

Aside from Calum Antell in goals, who was excellent and kept the scoreline down, there wasn't one Berwick player who could get near us. And the BBC stats certainly paint an accurate reflection of the game.

If Michael Ruth had his shooting boots in its no exaggeration to say he would've gone in at half time with four goals to his name. Likewise Div Wilson could've had a hat-trick, and Tony Wallace should've scored at least once.

Of the goals we did score though, Ruth's was an absolutely lovely finish. With probably the hardest chance he had. Lobbing Calum Antell from Mikey Miller's ball over the top. He absolutely terrorised the Berwick defence with his on the shoulder movement.

And Craig McGuffie's second was a terrific one. Sort of standing bicycle kicking in a cross from about eight yards after he was left totally unmarked.

McGuffie looked really good. His touch and control is class. Aside from being wasteful, Ruth was Ruth and Greig Young - whilst still a fair way off match sharpness - used the ball beautifully at times. It was nice to see him getting 90 minutes in the bag.

The second-half was a bit of a non-event. But we overplayed everything horribly trying to score the most technically complex goal ever. And without Ruth we struggled to stretch Berwick in the same way. Panos showed a few nice touches, but it was tough going as a lone striker with the service he was getting a lot of the time.

Wee Jacob Shields looks like he's got something about him. He came on at right-wing and instantly got his head down, charged past a defender and fizzed a ball across goal. He's a stocky wee guy with a low centre of gravity - a bit like PJ Crossan - and looks absolutely rapid. He certainly didn't look physically out of place at all. I'm excited to see a bit more of him.

Aside from him and the weans' drum bursting the second-half is something I won't remember much from. But that first-half, my word. It was like the Globetrotters against a bunch of school kids.

Hopefully a good confidence booster for the guys ahead of Saturday. And some more minutes in the legs for players who haven't featured as much. Faz says Mumbongo was taken out as a precaution after a niggle in the warmup, and he's hopeful he'll be good for Cove. It's a shame we didn't get to see him tonight as he'd have got a goal or two I reckon.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Very accurate report as usual Jan.  A few words in mitigation for the wee Rangers.

Held up in traffic getting to the match, so probably didn't have a proper warm-up.  I saw them last week and their central defender, Gareth Rodger, was a key player for them.  He was missing last evening due to injury and as result their defence looked like they had just picked a few volunteers from the crowd to pull on the jersey.  It really should have been approaching double figures by half-time.  At least they dug in second half and Kept the scoreline respectable.

Just to cap a forgettable night for the Berwick directors and few supporters, the traffic through Glasgow going home was horrendous.  I made it back to Edinburgh just before 1.00am, so goodness knows when they finally arrived back in Berwick.

1 hour ago, Deputy Keeper said:

Very accurate report as usual Jan.  A few words in mitigation for the wee Rangers.

Held up in traffic getting to the match, so probably didn't have a proper warm-up.  I saw them last week and their central defender, Gareth Rodger, was a key player for them.  He was missing last evening due to injury and as result their defence looked like they had just picked a few volunteers from the crowd to pull on the jersey.  It really should have been approaching double figures by half-time.  At least they dug in second half and Kept the scoreline respectable.

Just to cap a forgettable night for the Berwick directors and few supporters, the traffic through Glasgow going home was horrendous.  I made it back to Edinburgh just before 1.00am, so goodness knows when they finally arrived back in Berwick.

Fair enough on some points - for example the team only came out for the warm up at 7:30 so some mitigating circumstances for sure.

Considering those circumstances, how Scobbie decided to set up (and not really change) is even more alarming. Far too easy for Dumbarton and could have been double figures as others have said

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

How did Grivas look when he came on?

Looked rough around the edges - especially regarding decision making - but put himself about and proved a handful for the opposition centrebacks. Link up play was quite good and would have resulted in a couple of decent chances had Orsi's decision making been better. Had a couple of decent chances - but both under pressure so would like to see them again before passing judgement. All in all would like to see him given more chances, definitely seems to be something there.

Shields looked dangerous; very direct with a great turn of pace.

Would like to see them both getting some minutes.