Sons' sorrow

On 05/09/2024 at 13:15, squeezebox-son said:

I doubt money is the issue here. Yes, we don't have money to throw around... but we still have the wage we were paying Crighton to reinvest - which is what will happen to pay the wage for a natural young CB. Faz has already said he will be bringing someone in. He wouldn't be saying that if we couldn't actually afford anyone.

If only it was that straightforward.

Edit to add:-  No news of incomings in the Peterhead match preview.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

26 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

No twitter updates that i can see.Anyone at the game?

GW4AiD2XAAAPZBR.thumb.jpeg.ab434e2398fa281ac661f20a4f93eb74.jpeg

"Heavily rotated" would be how I would describe that team today which I'm all for. In saying that, I'm glad I'm not there watching it

17 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

This from top to bottom, you can see how bothered the club were about this tournament/fixture.

I do find it a bit poor that when one or two fans can't make a game that we don't do any updates. Someone is capable of putting the team up and the HT/FT scores, a few extra tweets to say how the game is going shouldn't be a problem. 

But given the team selection and the general malaise around this fixture, I feel for anyone who travelled up there today. 

15 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

This from top to bottom, you can see how bothered the club were about this tournament/fixture.

I really think we wanted to progress and whilst I don't blame the Manager for altering the line-up I think it demonstrates that we struggle when we don't have the A-Team on the park.

We had three guys start today in midfield who started in the previous round - unfortunately Peterhead away is a very different proposition from Berwick at home.

And one win in eleven competitive games is a wee bit concerning.

Saturday was what it was. It felt a bit like an end-of-season game where both sides were resting players for the play-offs, and a 1-0 Peterhead win with Max Barry - the best player on the park by a distance - scoring the only goal was probably about the right outcome. Both keepers made some decent saves but neither were overly worked and most of the game was played in between the two boxes.

I think, if it had been a league game, then Faz would've changed things earlier or more radically. But the plan was clearly to get minutes in the legs of guys. Everytime Joel Mumbongo went near the ball a Peterhead player seemed to go down and win a foul, so after his booking about 10 minutes before half-time (for a very nothingy foul that sparked a massive bust-up on the touchline) he was walking a tightrope. And couldn't really do anything for fear of being sent-off. In a league game I'd imagine Ruth would've been on at half-time, but the plan was clearly to get Joel 60 minutes in the legs.

I don't think many (any actually) of the more fringe players did their chances much good. Other than Paddy who looks a very able deputy if Brett picks up a red card or faces a few weeks out. But I did think we looked a bit more balanced defensively with Cammy Clark at centre-half. He's really aggressive in the air and good on the ball. I'd like to seem him and Durnan together next week - I think they could be our best option at the moment.

You could see we improved a fair bit with Ruth, Carlo and - especially - Craig McGuffie on the park. But none of that should be much of a surprise given all three will start for us most weeks. So I suppose it was minutes in the legs and confirmed to Faz what 90 percent or so of his strongest side is.

Peterhead have a good highlights package up here for anyone who wants a wee look. They seem a pretty fair reflection of the game.

34 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Saturday was what it was. It felt a bit like an end-of-season game where both sides were resting players for the play-offs, and a 1-0 Peterhead win with Max Barry - the best player on the park by a distance - scoring the only goal was probably about the right outcome. Both keepers made some decent saves but neither were overly worked and most of the game was played in between the two boxes.

I think, if it had been a league game, then Faz would've changed things earlier or more radically. But the plan was clearly to get minutes in the legs of guys. Everytime Joel Mumbongo went near the ball a Peterhead player seemed to go down and win a foul, so after his booking about 10 minutes before half-time (for a very nothingy foul that sparked a massive bust-up on the touchline) he was walking a tightrope. And couldn't really do anything for fear of being sent-off. In a league game I'd imagine Ruth would've been on at half-time, but the plan was clearly to get Joel 60 minutes in the legs.

I don't think many (any actually) of the more fringe players did their chances much good. Other than Paddy who looks a very able deputy if Brett picks up a red card or faces a few weeks out. But I did think we looked a bit more balanced defensively with Cammy Clark at centre-half. He's really aggressive in the air and good on the ball. I'd like to seem him and Durnan together next week - I think they could be our best option at the moment.

You could see we improved a fair bit with Ruth, Carlo and - especially - Craig McGuffie on the park. But none of that should be much of a surprise given all three will start for us most weeks. So I suppose it was minutes in the legs and confirmed to Faz what 90 percent or so of his strongest side is.

Peterhead have a good highlights package up here for anyone who wants a wee look. They seem a pretty fair reflection of the game.

Did Young play the full 90?

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did Young play the full 90?

He did, aye. That chance in the highlights is well into injury time.

I actually thought he looked pretty decent fitness wise, and he's still got a lovely technique for crossing and passing. I'd forgotten just how good a crosser of a ball he is. He didn't look to be blowing too badly by the end, it's just the sharpness that is needing built up (as shown by the goal). But hopefully a few weeks of games with the 20s will sort that out.

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He did, aye. That chance in the highlights is well into injury time.

I actually thought he looked pretty decent fitness wise, and he's still got a lovely technique for crossing and passing. I'd forgotten just how good a crosser of a ball he is. He didn't look to be blowing too badly by the end, it's just the sharpness that is needing built up (as shown by the goal). But hopefully a few weeks of games with the 20s will sort that out.

Great news!

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Did anyone get minutes in the legs, at all?

On 09/09/2024 at 13:32, FifeSons said:

Loved seeing Faz sprint into the melee to keep the heads.

I suppose it was a booking but the Peterhead captain, Brown I think, should have been booked as well.

Good highlights only downside was no one has a clue what happens when the ball went into the two corners

Edited by ItsGoneBust

46 minutes ago, ItsGoneBust said:

I suppose it was a booking but the Peterhead captain, Brown I think, should have been booked as well.

Good highlights only downside was no one has a clue what happens when the ball went into the two corners

You could well be on the right thread with that username buddy.