Sons' sorrow

Cawley, heh, mccallum, all lightweight and flatter to deceive, easily pushed off the ball, I liked the taggart/Saunders combination on the right yesterday, especially first half, Gallagher does the dirty work, and I thought was fairly decent, helps defensively, which I presume he's told to do, but he needs to either be an attacking midfielder or a number 10 in the abscence of Fleming and nade. Either put Barr in for Buchanan or drop him, personally, I'd drop him

Gallagher might do some of the sort of unnoticed dirty work, but he's absolutely nowhere near as good at it as Routledge is. That was the role he always played in for Stranraer, so I'd assume that's his main position. He's certainly shown me nothing to suggest that he's good enough to play the No.10 role.

I think I'd stick Barr back in alongside Wright, but it really doesn't make much difference as we are a solid defensive unit.

Too much time on my hands digesting all the posts.

I'm now thinking squad is probably good enough but it's the way we play . In recent games teams I don't think have been better than us(Morton maybe only just) but it's all down to the way we play and approach games including the timing and nature of any substitutions.

This is all down to the 2 stevies and where they are struggling at this level.

What do they see in gall that we can't

What did they see in heh that they can't see now since he is not really quoted

Why did we set up for 0-0 yesterday

Why don't we trust the back 5 have one holding midfielder and push on with rest.

If doing that we lose 3-2 or get a 2-2 draw at least we would feel we've had a go at it

How many thought at about 4.15 yesterday realised we had the final score

Never mind 4.15, I called the score with my first post in this thread - and was before I seen any injury news or formations!

Saunders did score Two against raith, when I seen him and taggart named, I presumed Saunders was going to play up top

Just because he scored two (headers from a set piece) in one game doesn't mean he should be playing any further forward than taggs. We know what taggs gives us, pace and energy, gets forward when playing full back - Saunders doesn't have that to his game, he's a solid defender but that's it, would be happy to see him stay at right mid.

I personally think there were positives in yesterday's performance. I think it is clear that Kirky would be a much better option than Gallagher who is just completely out of his depth. Also, I have been saying for a few weeks we should start with Taggart at RM and I stand by my opinion that he is a better option there than Cawley. Both lack fitness but will only gain that through game time.

Have to assume Aitken doesn't think either McCallum or Heh are good / strong enough to merit a starting place even when we have no other fit strikers

McCallum is not strong enough at Championship level, that's already evident, but then again neither is Cawley. As for Heh, the boy has hardly had a chance, and judging him on a total of 25 minutes coming on in losing situations is unfair.

We have to consider that Sheffield United saw something when they signed him. I don't expect him to start games this week, but if we don't give him a try versus QoS, Alloa and Livvy we must ask what was the point ?

Edited by Frank Quitely

Up to a point. The Manager assembles the squad and in key areas, midfield creativity and goal threat especially, we have been found wanting all season. Against that we have an over-abundance of right-sided defensive players.

In other words, an unbalanced squad, and that bit us big time today. I'm also supportive of Aitken but I'm told he's had a bigger budget than any Sons Manager before him so we need to be fair about this - shite hands are partly of his own making.

^^^

This. I'm not sure what management's sigining strategy was in the summer but I suspect that they initially under estimated the level of player required hence the releasing of Miller, Smith, etc. with minimal game time.

The two Stevie's deserve the chance to turn it round but they have a tough week coming up, quickly followed by games against Alloa/Livi on the bounce after which we might look back at yesterdays game in a different light.

As said on other posts I think best otion is for us to stay up and continue to play at highest level.

My committment is to get behind the boys as best I can and make a real try to reduce any negativity from my supporting until the end of the season.

Regardless of what we all thing about team ,tactics,ind players and performance. We all want the same thing.

Let's us sons fans try to give as much backing we are able to do to stevie and the boys.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone considering League 1 away days as in any way preferable to where we are now is nothing short of ludicrous.

We should want to be at the highest level possible, testing ourselves against the best sides we can.

We're in a bit of a rut at the moment, there's no doubt, but I genuinely feel that we are good enough to stay in the division with this squad we have.

We do miss Nade and Fleming, definitely, and McCallum is unfortunately nowhere near up to it, as was evident when he became involved yesterday, so that's certainly an area that Aitken and Faz would look to in the summer. However, good strikers don't grow on trees, and I can't think of many who have signed for clubs that I'd think reasonably 'why haven't they signed for us?'.

Think we're been harsh on McCollum expecting to play up front on his own. Yes he is lightweight but even yesterday he is nippy and on a few occasions nipped the ball and created forward play.

He so well worth being in the squa d and given support can still do a job for us.

If we're going to give Kirkpatrick a start, please don't play him as a lone striker. It didn't work away to Falkirk and it didn't work yesterday. I'd much rather see him play as an attacking central midfielder. I'd certainly rather see him start than Gallagher.

While lots of people are writing off McCallum, one thing he does is press defenders into making mistakes. He's not going to win the ball in the air, so don't lump it in to him. I thought he had a good game when he started against St Mirren last time.

Kler Heh's had 5 minutes against Livingston, 20 minutes against Morton, and 10 minutes yesterday. I've no idea if he can cut it at this level, but he barely got a touch of the ball yesterday. In his 20 minutes at Cappielow he had one of our very few serious efforts on goal, with a shot that was cleared off the line. He seemed livelier than Cawley had been in the preceding 70 minutes. It seems a bit of a waste to drag him up all the way from Sheffield, only to then give him no serious game time.

I also don't see what Jamie Ewings has done to deserve being dropped yesterday. Fair enough if he had been at fault for the loss of either goal at Cappielow, but he's been very reliable in the four games he's played. We were fortunate that the referee chalked off Agnew's goal direct from the corner. I wasn't sure at the time whether there was any infringement, but seeing it again I think Brown made an utter hash of it.

If we're going to give Kirkpatrick a start, please don't play him as a lone striker. It didn't work away to Falkirk and it didn't work yesterday. I'd much rather see him play as an attacking central midfielder. I'd certainly rather see him start than Gallagher.

While lots of people are writing off McCallum, one thing he does is press defenders into making mistakes. He's not going to win the ball in the air, so don't lump it in to him. I thought he had a good game when he started against St Mirren last time.

Kler Heh's had 5 minutes against Livingston, 20 minutes against Morton, and 10 minutes yesterday. I've no idea if he can cut it at this level, but he barely got a touch of the ball yesterday. In his 20 minutes at Cappielow he had one of our very few serious efforts on goal, with a shot that was cleared off the line. He seemed livelier than Cawley had been in the preceding 70 minutes. It seems a bit of a waste to drag him up all the way from Sheffield, only to then give him no serious game time.

I also don't see what Jamie Ewings has done to deserve being dropped yesterday. Fair enough if he had been at fault for the loss of either goal at Cappielow, but he's been very reliable in the four games he's played. We were fortunate that the referee chalked off Agnew's goal direct from the corner. I wasn't sure at the time whether there was any infringement, but seeing it again I think Brown made an utter hash of it.

I was thinking the same about Heh yesterday, why bring the lad in if he isn't going to get given a chance. Some of yesterdays tactical decisions at St Mirren where baffling, when you have your hand forced surely you offer someone that chance and play to their strengths.

For me, McCallum has shown he has something about him but is still needing to develop (physically). Jamie Ewings must be pissed off, waited for his chance, took it and is back on the bench as so as we lose. Is Mark Brown really that superior a keeper or is it a cost justification? These are the decisions that the management team need to make and so far (IMO) they have made enough to fall on their sword if it all goes tits up in the next month.

None of us know if Heh has what it takes.... I can only assume that Aitken perhaps not overly impressed with what he see's in training.....or that he sees him and McCallum as too lightweight together

I wouldn't be giving up on mccallum, for all his lack of strength, his running and effort are excellent, good with his feet, and an eye for goal, we have to encourage his development, I'd rather save nade and Fleming for the league, either start mccallum or heh or Cawley against Dundee