Sons' sorrow

The trust have tried to engage local businesses in the past. I believe the response was apathetic at best and a few businesses asked why they would want to promote Dumbarton by displaying material in their premises when they themselves were supporters of other clubs?

In the age of social media, its unlikely that anybody who would be tempted to go to a game would miss out because of a lack of fixture awareness.

Thats not to say that having promotional material in prominent places wouldn't be helpful - getting the word out to as many local residents as possible would obviously be a good thing - but thats more than a bit like taking a horse to water.

Making them drink, and actually turn up to games, is the bigger problem.

Anyone interested in running a shop or online sales,?

Ideas for it? I'll start, car window stickers

Fire an email to the Trust regarding the online shop thing.

They can pass your concerns onto the club or maybe even help out if you have some ideas you'd be willing to offer. If you have any questions about it I'm sure they'd be able to provide some answers.

Strongly agree with the points being raised here. I was taken to my first game by my Dad as a five year old and the rest is history. The club was far friendlier then. Prices were very low for kids to get in, you could wander into Boghead on training nights to watch your heroes and chat to them whilst collecting autographs. I didn't dream of supporting anyone else.

Today's club appears to have different priorities. I'm consistently made to feel like an inconvenience when I ring the club for info. When told that I have to attend the ground, I reply that I live a 2 hour flight away, and can I arrange for pick up on match day, the impatience is palpable.

Christ, look at the online shop. I can't even buy a top or a scarf as a present.

The club appears to see itself as a business that doesn't need to open it's doors to the community to encourage future custom. A strange business model. The club in the Boghead days was far more welcoming.

I really hope someone at Dumbarton FC is reading this, and whilst I back the Sons to the hilt there is no doubting the truth of the above.

Unfortunately that word inconvenience is all too relevant in this connection, as this seems to be far too often how the public is viewed down there. 

I have a poor attendance record this year for various reasons. Saturday night on the telly when feeling poorly was my latest reason. I have paid for my season ticket therefore club still have my cash.

Champions league nights are going to affect every team.

I did attend and have still to see a hat trick before third rock laughs his comment on me saying after Nade's second that I have never seen a hat trick at a Dumbarton game. I was paying for my pie when he scored the third.

Hard to see how they could object/block us looking at ways of filling up to capacity, not as if we're going to over fill.

Unless, of course, we're blocked from having access into the schools, either for some council reason, or because of some interpretation of the working with minors rules.

That being the case, surely we could try working with youth clubs/organisations, even local football boys clubs. Who better to get interested in football than kids who play football? So long as they don;t all play at 3pm on a Saturday already, obviously.

I noticed @ Livi a couple of weeks back that there was a section in their Main Stand, full of school kids.

Why can a shop in the town not sell tickets for the games or replica tops etc, Morton have a shop in Greenock that does such a thing, if they donut why can we not?

You need to have a shop that's willing to do it.

As BSF touched on, there's not that many local business willing to help DFC out. There needs to be a benefit for them as well as us and I'm not sure the junkies, alchys and OAPs who frequent the town centre will be queuing for the latest Sons kit or a ticket to see us playing Livi in the league.

The general public of Dumbarton aren't interested in the Sons and few strips in a local shop probably wont do much to change that.

Free tickets for kids however...

Selling tickets is an easy one - theres no need.

The majority of games are pay at the gate. Theres no need to sell tickets in advance.

As for selling replica tops etc, Dumbarton doesnt have a sports shop so I'm not sure where would sell Dumbarton merchandise?

It would be costly for the club to take on an outlet itself and I'm not sure there are any businesses in Dumbarton that would make an obvious retail partner. Its arguable that you could do some kind of deal where soft play centres or similar businesses could sell discounted family tickets, or even offer discounted tickets for every child who is registered with a football team in West Dunbartonshire. Then theres the possibility of offering family tickets through West Dunbartonshire Council gym membership. Or going on a major charm offensive with the local council and the whisky bottling plant as the area's major employers.

But ultimately thats a big risk if the only people who would take up such offers would be fans who would go to games anyway. I remember the Clan running a discount ticket offer in the first year or two of playing. Vouchers ended up being taken and used by existing fans rather than new fans so it didnt give the club any increased gates.

You need to have a shop that's willing to do it.

As BSF touched on, there's not that many local business willing to help DFC out. There needs to be a benefit for them as well as us and I'm not sure the junkies, alchys and OAPs who frequent the town centre will be queuing for the latest Sons kit or a ticket to see us playing Livi in the league.

The general public of Dumbarton aren't interested in the Sons and few strips in a local shop probably wont do much to change that.

Free tickets for kids however...

I'm more interested in the visibility for the young kids growing up seeing a Dumbarton strip in a shop window, and hopefully being hooked, for now, al their seeing in the media and the tv are old firm, and if that continues, there won't be a Scottish club for them to play against. An open letter in the local rags looking for a shop to volunteer to display our merchandise, thus selling it, surely at least one will be interested

Aye true enough, plenty of local businesses are swimming in cash at the moment and will do anything to help out another business free of charge.  

Come on, unless you find an absolute die-hard nutjob who runs a sweetie shop (a la our friends across the water) then any local business, in this economic climate, will be looking for their cut and rightly so.

Getting your name in the local schools would do more for young peoples image of the club than selling a few tops from Photo Ecosse.  We will never stop young kids from being bombarded with Old Firm stuff, we just need to show that we're a positive alternative.

Aye true enough, plenty of local businesses are swimming in cash at the moment and will do anything to help out another business free of charge.

Come on, unless you find an absolute die-hard nutjob who runs a sweetie shop (a la our friends across the water) then any local business, in this economic climate, will be looking for their cut and rightly so.

Getting your name in the local schools would do more for young peoples image of the club than selling a few tops from Photo Ecosse. We will never stop young kids from being bombarded with Old Firm stuff, we just need to show that we're a positive alternative.

did I say for free?, compared to opening a shop, a percentage paid would be very minimal

did I say for free?, compared to opening a shop, a percentage paid would be very minimal

Why would any self respecting local business man or woman accept a minimal percentage?  We're approaching them and looking to use their premises to raise funds for our club (or business as they'll see it), they'd need to be batshit crazy to do it for a small percentage.  

The club sells tops at £35.  That figure isn't just made up, there are manufacturing costs with our profit added on top of that.  If a shop outside of the club was to sell these tops, we'd need to sell them to them:

A)  For less than our retail price, eating into our already small profit.

B)  For our retail price, meaning the shop would sell the tops for more than what the club was.

In the first instance we lose money.  In the second instance nobody buys a top from the shop because it's cheaper to buy at the club.  I'm all for fundraising ideas, I just really don't see the benefit of having some tops for sale in the high street.  Anyone who has ran a youth football team will know that football kits are not cheap to make, ours especially as it isn't an "off the shelf" design.  I'd be surprised if we made much out of our shirt sales.

Edited by The Moonster