Sons' sorrow

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-03-14 at 19.25.51.png

Edit: Rangers obviously skew the stats slightly, but they have gone up a bit since we came up. But that'll mainly be down to Falkirk, QOS etc bringing a lot more fans than Brechin/Stirling Albion.

Thanks. Having had a look on the OS I reckon they are probably slightly higher again this year.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-03-14 at 19.25.51.png

Edit: Rangers obviously skew the stats slightly, but they have gone up a bit since we came up. But that'll mainly be down to Falkirk, QOS etc bringing a lot more fans than Brechin/Stirling Albion.

There was a season in the second division (now league one) where our average was 1100 or so. Morton were in the same division at the time. Think it may have been 2003-04

In 2003/4 in the second division sons averaged 1039 when 80 per cent would have been Dumbarton supporters. In 2014/15 we averaged 1074 and that is with games against rangers hearts and hibs with only about 50 per cent being Dumbarton supporters. Dumbarton are averaging less than 600 home fans per game despite the fact that we are in the championship. The team deserves much better support for their performances but the fan base in this area is diminishing quickly.

I might as well add my tuppence-worth to the current subject of debate...

On the subject of selling shirts and merchandise in a local shop, as many others have said, the business in question would of course want a cut of any money made (and so they should), but even if it got to that stage, is there demand for such a venture?

The good folk of Dumbarton know where the club is and where the stadium is if they want a shirt or a pendant or a scarf. I can't see these items being for sale in a shop within the town centre massively increasing our sales.

The idea of selling tickets at a much-reduced rate to youngsters and local school children is a great idea and I'd love us to go for it. But as some have suggested with the board being 'out of touch' or the likes, they wouldn't have the vision to see that it would benefit the club in the longer term, tickets being given gratis would be seen as a loss of revenue in the first instance.

Unfortunately we're continually fighting a losing battle with the residents of Dumbarton and the surrounding area having long since succumbed to the lure of the two ugly sisters along the road in Glasgow.

There's lots of good ideas to bring in more, younger fans, and some ideas which probably wouldn't be able to be implemented. But the vast majority of what we're up against is that there isn't a large scope of people we can 'reach' who could potentially be able to be attracted to Dumbarton, given where their other footballing loyalties lie.

If we re going to go through the daft discussion about a dfc mega store again, perhaps it would be worth considering what us the fans are buying.

I've got the current home top, bought last season when i also bought my daughter one. Thats it. No beanie hat, training top or car pendant.

Im willing to bet that half our season ticket holders dont have the current home shirt.

Point above is you should not be trying to make more money out of those who are already contributing.

It's about attracting new money.

We seem to be trying to say what we buy each season to show what a mega shop would do

I can't wait till this thread returns to what we are about

FOOTBALL

I started going to boghead in the late 90s through free tickets from my uncles work, right through to when the new stadium opened and was a season ticket holder from 02-09.

Growing up surrounded by rangers fans meant that I always liked them and started to juggle the two. From about 2010 to 2013 I went to probably 3/4 games a year at the Rock and the same at ibrox if not slightly more.

I agree it's hard to attract people to follow the sons over flocking to the old firm, and that will always be the case unfortunately because of where we stay. Not sure how to tackle it but I'd be trying to get youngsters hooked from early on, worked for me.

I started going to the Rock nearly four years ago. Having spent most of my life watching one half of the old firm.

I have been made very welcome by all the folk who sit around me.

The staff at the ground are very helpful especially Antonia.

It is different not being able to buy training kits, shorts etc. Perhaps we could preorder them so the club losses no money.

If you still have the banners, you could pass them onto the Supporters Bus or Sonstrust for the youngsters to use at games?

Just a thought.

The big black & gold 'Sons of The Rock' one was a cracker btw ðŸ‘

That one is big Andy's, he can take the credit for that. The boy Craig has them but I'll send him a message.

Aye there are elements of truth in what you say and I have witnessed the shoddy way that some supporters have been treated. We're really in trouble though, if the public interface of the club under John Hosie and then Alex Wright is seen as preferable to now. Both guys were committed to DFC but, in neither case were people skills their forte. Both excelled at making people feel like an inconvenience. Having said that, I knew Alex very well and he was a great guy once you got to know him.

I think it's probably a case of things at DFC haven't kept pace with people's (reasonable) expectations and that the ways of old just won't do any more. Merchandise shouldn't be too difficult to organise and should have decent margins if buying is done well.

Can't say i remember Alex Wright like that. I can remember calling in to the ground for a chat during the week and as far as I can recall was always made to feel welcome

I don't remember Alex being like that either Wilf. He was always very welcoming. I used to go to non-Dumbarton games with him and he was always very friendly when he was recognised.

I have to say, he knew the game inside out.

Immediate changes to save scottish championship football.

Raiths pile of shite mainstand, write that thing off. No place for a restricted view in 2016

£40 for two people to watch a horrendous St Mirren team beat a slightly more shit Sons team, is a complete joke.

Midweek cup game at Dundee £15 quid? Shite.

Falkirks semi filled half Hampden look alike with exposed soaking seats and covered up dry ones. Garbage, rectify. 

Livingston, Sell your stadium, go part time. Stop pretending. 

Morton, serving a pie in a roll in an antique stand with a turn-style that doesn't work. Unacceptable needs to stop. 

Dumbartons relentless stadium moving plans, just give it a rest. 

Put Rangers in Bin.

Alloas temporary ikea DIY stand is not a patch on roaming free round the terraces. 

The inability to buy a have a drink at the game. 

Implement these and it will take away just some of the pain that is football.

Edited by sonsational

I don't remember Alex being like that either Wilf. He was always very welcoming. I used to go to non-Dumbarton games with him and he was always very friendly when he was recognised.

I have to say, he knew the game inside out.

He did and as I said he was a great guy. I brought up his name as a comparative and have no wish to dwell on criticising Alex. However I don't think my comment was unfair in the wider context of dealing with complaints, the press etc.

Immediate changes to save scottish championship football.

Raiths pile of shite mainstand, write that thing off. No place for a restricted view in 2016

£40 for two people to watch a horrendous St Mirren team beat a slightly more shit Sons team, is a complete joke.

Midweek cup game at Dundee £15 quid? Shite.

Falkirks semi filled half Hampden look alike with exposed soaking seats and covered up dry ones. Garbage, rectify.

Livingston, Sell your stadium, go part time. Stop pretending.

Morton, serving a pie in a roll in an antique stand with a turn-style that doesn't work. Unacceptable needs to stop.

Dumbartons relentless stadium moving plans, just give it a rest.

Put Rangers in Bin.

Alloas temporary ikea DIY stand is not a patch on roaming free round the terraces.

The inability to buy a have a drink at the game.

Implement these and it will take away just some of the pain that is football.

^^^ woke up in a great mood IMO