Sons' sorrow

They could tell us it's a load of rubbish to stop us worrying.

I'm sure it'll come out in the next couple of days, Raith will be looking to appoint quickly to get on with their pre-season plan so we'll know soon enough.  If the club jumped in after the first mention of it (in a notoriously bullshit paper like the Sun) then it may add fuel to the fire (a bit like Stuart Millar's tweet).  (A little bit of) Patience is the key, if you will.

Edited by The Moonster

There’s been plenty of contentment at Stair Park this term too, with the Blues five points clear of Jim Duffy’s Morton heading into today’s clash with second-bottom Ayr.

Aitken’s management style and success is sure to see him targeted for a full-time gaffer’s job.

He’s in no rush to leave a team on the up, but admits he would jump at the chance to be a full-time boss one day.

Aitken added: “As a manager you must have goals. My job at Rolls Royce is a great job and I’m lucky to have it.

“But if the chance came along to go into full-time football I would give it up. Full-time management is something I want to have a go at.

“I’m ambitious and if players see their manager being ambitious then it rubs off on them.

“If the chance comes one day then great, but if not I’ll carry on doing what I’ve been doing.

Excerpt from the sun when aitken was stranraer manager

Aye, unless he's found a competent assistant, it's a big no from me. We were dire in that last season with him.

In saying that, alongside someone decent then he might be ok...I guess...

May have been dire but Murray took us to our two highest league positions in the last thirty years

May have been dire but Murray took us to our two highest league positions in the last thirty years

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not saying that we were dire under Murray. I'm saying we were dire under Murray and Beauzlin/Murray and Spalding. 

Anybody like to disagree with me on that? I don't think anyone was majorly gutted when he left this time last year, in fact I think we all agreed it was the right move for him and the club.

Yes, agreed, but then he subsequently lost his mojo, became bored and topped it off by saying one thing to the DFC Board whilst doing another as he made his exit to St Mirren.

Let's get the name Ian Murray off this and every other Sons-related thread for good.

Edited by Frank Quitely

Queens have been given permission to talk to Aitken but Reid at Stranraer seems to be fav.with us. Thought Aitken had a good job that he would not give up ?

Just flick back a few pages and you'll get the story.

Where are you seeing that anyway? Think I might ask for permission to talk to him seen as everybody is being allowed to.

I think we can pretty much resign ourselves to Aitken leaving. Like others, I'm not particularly bothered by that, but the timing is terrible.

We should move quickly and I wouldn't be averse to an experienced manager. Jim McInally might not be the worst shout.

Barry Robson has left Aberdeen and says he wants to move into management.

Do we take a punt on inexperience like we did with Murray or go for the known and the experienced?

We need to consider a few things here, not least the relationship between Aitken and Farrell. If the wee man wishes to try his hand at full-time management then fair enough but it's perhaps a fair assumption that Faz will just jack in his day job too to join him.

If he chose not to, what then of a possibility of Faz being considered as a direct replacement at DFC for Aitken, maybehe might quite fancy the idea of being his own boss ? The downside is that he has not been a manager in his own right, but the upside is that he is hardly inexperienced in the management business at part-time clubs, and Id be pretty sure he has a decent number of contacts at our level.

Anyone think it could be worth a shout ?

We need to consider a few things here, not least the relationship between Aitken and Farrell. If the wee man wishes to try his hand at full-time management then fair enough but it's perhaps a fair assumption that Faz will just jack in his day job too to join him.

If he chose not to, what then of a possibility of Faz being considered as a direct replacement at DFC for Aitken, maybehe might quite fancy the idea of being his own boss ? The downside is that he has not been a manager in his own right, but the upside is that he is hardly inexperienced in the management business at part-time clubs, and Id be pretty sure he has a decent number of contacts at our level.

Anyone think it could be worth a shout ?

Faz turned down the Stranraer job last year iirc, he was manager of Cumnock a few years back, but left to become Aitken's No.2 so I'd be surprised if he was interested. It's a good point about his job, does anyone know what he does? I knew he was involved in the Prison Officers Union or something. Him and Aitken will go everywhere together, and so if it's not right for Faz then Stevie won't go.

Anyone else slightly surprised that Aitken's stock is so high with other clubs?

Yes. Especially considering how disasterous Murray's time with St Mirren was.

Maybe take a punt on James Fowler?

Not a bad shout actually. He wouldn't pull up any trees, but I'd imagine he'd be alright.

I wouldn't be resigned to losing Stevie yet.

We don't even know if Raith have made an approach. I certainly wouldn't be taking the Sun's word as gospel.

If Raith hadn't made an approach then there would have been a denial on the DFC website pronto. The story in the Sun wasn't just that they had made an approach but that the request had been granted. If it's a Willie Cochrane story it'll be right enough. The Sun tends to keep the non gospel stories for rather bigger issues than this.

If Raith hadn't made an approach then there would have been a denial on the DFC website pronto. The story in the Sun wasn't just that they had made an approach but that the request had been granted. If it's a Willie Cochrane story it'll be right enough. The Sun tends to keep the non gospel stories for rather bigger issues than this.

We shall see.

Why would the club look to deny a complete non story if it is indeed a load of shite. Surely the club would be more likely to put an announcement up if permission had been granted?

The Sun have been spouting this pish for weeks regarding different managers and different clubs.