Sons' sorrow

Is it though, if you look at my post you'll see I'm blaming Aitken not Raith for this situation.

I don't remember Stevie desperately trying to sell himself to us last summer, in fact I think it was the other way round with us approaching him and him joining us on his terms. I could be wrong, but we approached Stranraer for permission to talk to him, that was granted and a statement was put on your website saying that.

Here it looks like he's going to the press to try and get a move that suits him, whilst leaving us in limbo.

How many players did you have signed up when he left? I know McGuigan joined, but was that it? Kind of similar to us with Thomson joining.

Not criticising Dumbarton btw - it's one of the worst bits of being a fan in the early summer and we, too have rumours of yet another manager leaving this summer! Dumbarton definitely approached us and did things properly, so just annoying, not dodgy!

Ginge had signed up a few players before he went - some (McGuigan, Stirling, Thomson) were new to the club and must have been a bit bemused when he signed them and then departed!

Not sure he's going to the press - more likely the tabloids phoning about looking for quotes to pad out speculative articles.

Edited by Clayhole Blue

Abody calm the f**k doon. Raith have asked for permission to speak to Aitken and been granted it by DFC. Aitken has then spoken to them. Aitken has then been approached by the press and said "Yes, I've spoken to Raith". Any claims that Aitken is whoring himself about is pure conjecture born of post season boredom. DFC haven't made a comment on it because the web chap's away the now and / or they don't wan to comment until it's concluded, which is up to the club (not that I necessarily agree with not making a statement about it, but the club hasn't always been the most forthright with info so I'm used to it). Simple as that. Chill oot, lads. If Aitken stays he stays, if he goes, he goes. Players will sign at some point and the world won't fall off its axis.

Well aye, but the longer it drags on without us knowing what's happening it will seriously hinder our prep for the coming season. We could be left trying to scramble a squad together in minimal time.

There's many ways you can look at it. If the manager is talking about it in the press, which he shouldn't be IMO, he's only fuelling the rumours.

It's only natural in this current situation that people will talk. Especially when the club hasn't even confirmed if permission has been granted. A statement would be handy now that Stevie has decided to talk about it.

Here it looks like he's going to the press to try and get a move that suits him, whilst leaving us in limbo.

As I said earlier, let's calm down a wee bit here.  There's the assumption that he's leaving us (and players) in limbo but at the end of the day Stevie can't appoint himself as Raith manager. If he's spoken with them and been asked for a comment by the Record then I'd say his comments are fair enough, although I'd probably have preferred he said nothing at all it's clear that Stevie enjoys being involved with the media.  If Stevie has spoken with Raith and wants the job (which again is fair enough) then all he can do is wait to hear back from them.  We're assuming that he's stopped working for us altogether whilst he waits for Raith to make up their mind and I just can't see the DFC board standing for that.

Players will rightly hold off signing until it's settled, but I'm afraid when you have a decent manager attracting interest then these situations are inevitable.

Abody calm the f**k doon. Raith have asked for permission to speak to Aitken and been granted it by DFC. Aitken has then spoken to them. Aitken has then been approached by the press and said "Yes, I've spoken to Raith". Any claims that Aitken is whoring himself about is pure conjecture born of post season boredom. DFC haven't made a comment on it because the web chap's away the now and / or they don't wan to comment until it's concluded, which is up to the club (not that I necessarily agree with not making a statement about it, but the club hasn't always been the most forthright with info so I'm used to it). Simple as that. Chill oot, lads. If Aitken stays he stays, if he goes, he goes. Players will sign at some point and the world won't fall off its axis.

Pete, with all due respect, take your calmness away. I like a good bit of worry, fury and blind rumour chucking.

Not criticising Dumbarton btw - it's one of the worst bits of being a fan in the early summer and we, too have rumours of yet another manager leaving this summer! Dumbarton definitely approached us and did things properly, so just annoying, not dodgy!

Ginge had signed up a few players before he went - some (McGuigan, Stirling, Thomson) were new to the club and must have been a bit bemused when he signed them and then departed!

Not sure he's going to the press - more likely the tabloids phoning about looking for quotes to pad out speculative articles.

No worries! It's frustrating like you say, and frankly all a bit strange. If the club would say something either way then perhaps the hysteria would calm down a bit, but because of the silence and tiny newspaper clippings we're surviving off things get pretty mental and up for discussion.

I don't know about his press comments. If it was me in his shoes I'd say something along the lines of "I'm Dumbarton manager at the moment, and I won't be talking about anyone else". In saying that if I was the journo I'd be pretty chuffed if he said he'd spoken to them, so can't blame him/her for getting that quote.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear something solid either way.

Well aye, but the longer it drags on without us knowing what's happening it will seriously hinder our prep for the coming season. We could be left trying to scramble a squad together in minimal time.

There's many ways you can look at it. If the manager is talking about it in the press, which he shouldn't be IMO, he's only fuelling the rumours.

It's only natural in this current situation that people will talk. Especially when the club hasn't even confirmed if permission has been granted. A statement would be handy now that Stevie has decided to talk about it.

The club have obviously granted permission, otherwise he wouldn't be speaking to Raith and he definitely wouldn't be speaking to the press about it as that'd likely breach his contract. He's been phoned by a journo and given a single line response, no harm done. The club's decision not to comment may be frustrating, but that's their prerogative for whatever reason.

Players will still sign regardless. Maybe not these players, but footballers nonetheless. It's not all that unusual for part-time clubs to be throwing players together with little time to spare or even after the season has started.

The club have obviously granted permission, otherwise he wouldn't be speaking to Raith and he definitely wouldn't be speaking to the press about it as that'd likely breach his contract. He's been phoned by a journo and given a single line response, no harm done. The club's decision not to comment may be frustrating, but that's their prerogative for whatever reason.

Players will still sign regardless. Maybe not these players, but footballers nonetheless. It's not all that unusual for part-time clubs to be throwing players together with little time to spare or even after the season has started.

I agree with S08.

Take yer calmness and level headed posts and ram it up yer farter.

Ken what? The thing is, being Dumbarton's manager is pretty much the easiest job in Scottish fitba at the minute. If you barely stay up, as under Aitken, then you're a success. If you stay up comfortably, as under Murray, then you're a success. And if you go down then it's no big mark on your CV as you're the only part-time team (or one of very few) in the league and punching above your weight and everyone will say it was inevitable that the journey had to end sometime. They could put a monkey in the manager's seat and it wouldn't make a great deal of difference. Whether Aitken goes or stays therefore, in my eyes at least, doesn't make a whole lot of difference as the next fella could finish 8th too, or 9th and scrape through the playoffs and still be considered a solid appointment. Even going down, they could keep the same manager who oversaw relegation and using the funds from 5 seasons of Championship football give them the means for a League One title challenge. It's really a pretty easy number compared to most other managerial jobs in the country.

Very well said.

Apparently our relationship will continue with another striker joining you on loan. It wont be Hunter though...

Apparently our relationship will continue with another striker joining you on loan. It wont be Hunter though...

Chris Kane again plz

Failing that John Sutton? I'd have thought he'd have got a much bigger club than us, or is it a younger player?

A few months ago there was a load of people (or at least a few) on here wanting stevie bagged for the style of football! Now we are all panicking at the possibility of him going. He had a decent 1st season, personally I'd be pretty gutted if he left, especially to Raith, (a team that is mid table championship shoe-ins for the next 10 years). We are all waiting on signing news but this ain't gonna happen while the managers job is up in the air, this leaves all our players mulling over deals even longer to get offers from other clubs. I hope this gets sorted pretty soon so we can get excited about potential new signings and the retention of prince Christian of Nade.

Chris Kane again plz

Failing that John Sutton? I'd have thought he'd have got a much bigger club than us, or is it a younger player?

Sutton has been linked with Dundee United, and considering McKinnon tried the whole January window to get him in to us, my guess is he will definitely be at United next season.

Band is irrelevant in a good strip.

There's a pun/joke in here somewhere, but I'll let someone else who's quicker witted than me make it.

The band is what makes us stand out. Just as you'd look at a green and white hooped kit and think of Shamrock Rovers Yeovil Town Celtic or a maroon kit and think of Hearts, the black and gold band is what makes our kit...ours. Or at least it does to me. 

I didn't even really grow up with it, I grew up with us playing in yellow predominantly (the old Vandanel kits) and then the Surridge orangey gold. But they all looked a bit generic compared to the kits you see us wearing in old books and programmes.

Anyway it's all a matter of opinion. I wear pink football boots so mine is probably a bit wrong  :lol:

Spot on Pete.

Far too much hand wringing and worst case scenarios around.