Sons' sorrow

I've been thinking it for a few weeks now, No one prepared to risk their budget despite the form he had with us, and adored by hearts, Dundee, raith, and us.

I just can't see Stevie sitting with that money in limbo for a guy who told him weeks ago that he will be moving on.  It may be true that folk don't want to take a risk on him which is why he's had to look over the water to Ireland for a team, but I'd hope that we'd well and truly moved forward by now.  If Nade comes back without a club looking for a deal then it will be on our terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a deal on the table for nade which nobody can match, hence why our squads been trimmed,

I can confirm that that isn't the reason our squad's been trimmed. The budget was overspent last year, this year there's had to be cuts and Stevie's had to be a bit savvier in regards to who he brings in.

As The Moonster says, if Nade returns then it will be on our terms - which will be vastly reduced from what he was offered at the start of pre-season I'd imagine.

which one?, I'm going to get the away top

Home one, I'll get the away one when it's out as well.

I like the fact the sponsor is printed on, as it was on last season's home top, so it doesn't peel off in the wash. You also get the 'Baxter Ramsey' on the back of the shirt which is quite a nice touch - most fans tops don't have back of shirt sponsors.

I have my new top  8)

Ordered my home top, zip top and mug today. Season Ticket on Friday and will get the away top and a grey polo next month. Nice timing from my work, lavish bonuses being dished out in June should be mandatory.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Finished 2-1 to Stranraer tonight, decent even game and some good performances before the subs arrived and Stranraer started to dominate. 

I'll post some more (if P&B can survive) later on.

The curse of Stranraer strikes again!

Right, let's see if the new P&B can survive long enough for this

I don't know how much we learned last night that we didn't already know to be honest. None of the trialists stood out, and the first Xi showed some promising signs.

We lined up a bit like this, although players often switched positions:

Jamie Ewings

Craig Pettigrew Gregor Buchanan Frazer Wright Mark Docherty

Garry Fleming

David Smith Ryan Stevenson Andy Stirling

Grant Gallagher

Robert Thomson

Gaz was outstanding - particularly in the first half - in that deep midfield role. He protected the defence and then buzzed forward with the ball bringing the wingers and Thommo into the game. Ahead of him Stevo showed a few nice touches, but he never seems to run and doesn't dictate play anywhere near as much as I'd want him to. In saying that he played an absolute beauty of a ball to David Smith which very nearly lead to the opener. More like that would be great.

The most promising looking thing for me however was the way that Smith, Stirling and Thommo linked up. This would've been the 2nd game they've started together and there already appeared to be an understanding between them. They know you can fire a ball at Thommo, he'll control it, hold it up and then either fire Smith - a direct old fashioned type winger - the ball to cross, or Stirling - a more tricky strong wee guy, almost a bit like Stevie Murray - who can squeeze a clever ball through or have a shot.

Stranraer's opener was a bit of a mess. A certain Sons' man (who I will not name in the interests of fairness) made a hash of an attempted shot in the box and they broke with pace. Craig Malcolm went one on one with Jamie who could only palm his powerful shot up into the air, over him, and into the net.

Before that we'd missed plenty of chances. Thommo had been inches away from connecting with a couple of crosses from Smith and Mark Docherty - who looked very fit last night fwiw - and Andy Stirling had blazed well, well over from another low Smith cross.

If I had one criticism of Thommo it would be that he isn't hugely clinical, but that will come with match sharpness. He picked up a wee knock on his ankle as well, which was pretty concerning when you realise we literally have no other option.

The equaliser was quite beautiful. Thommo chased a lost cause that looked destined to go out for a goal kick. Somehow - with his weirdly fast, Peter Crouch-esque strides - he caught it. Two Stranraer players closed in and he backheeled it past both of them to Smith. He darted inside - in that way he runs all kind of hunched over - and passed to Andy Stirling who took a touch and curled a belter past Max Currie. R1 + Circle on Fifa (or it was a few years ago) if that means anything to you. It was a classy finish.

A few minutes later Smith burst past Frank McKeown and went one-on-one with Max Currie, but hesitated and had his shot blocked. He's got some turn of speed on him, especially when you see it from such close range!

We were definitely looking the more dangerous and, despite the fact Stranraer had made a few subs, we looked perfectly fit - not that I'd expect anything else from Stevie's teams.

Then arrived our subs. Thommo - who seemed to recover from his knock at HT - Stevo - who'd again been tidy enough without influencing anything - Smith, Stirling and Gallagher all came off. As you may have gathered Smith and Stirling were up there with our top performers, Gallagher started well enough before dropping off. Kind of like his performances last season.

On in their place came Kasubandi, Josh Peters, Kieron Gibbons, Romanian Rab and McCallum.

Romanian Rab lasted about 2 passes before limping off and being replaced by Ryan Clark.

Peters had a good chance as he flew clear, but then tried a speculative dipping volley from the edge of the box, which he didn't really make proper contact with and it rolled harmlessly wide. Gibbons was fine, but the rest of the subs did very little.

Stranraer won it again on the break. Aggy drove forward and played a lovely outside of the boot ball to Calvin Kemp who produced another very decent finish across Jaz and into the net.

It was a decent game, and both teams looked fairly even...which probably isn't a great thing given the league difference, but I'm not too concerned. If we'd kept on the starting XI for a bit longer we probably would've won, but that's fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Looking forward to the Motherwell match now.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08