Sons' sorrow

20 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Few of my fellow sons fans declaring that Stevie should be sacked, to be 2-1 up, only to lose 6-2, is dreadful at any level, I've been sticking up for him, but not overly convinced I should be. I agree with one of them who said that we should have shut up shop, I do think there's a good team of individuals, but several have a lot to learn it seems, is championship a step too far for them?, maybe we should be judged later in the season, after a few additions.

Anyone else share my fears?

Sack Stevie and bring in who? Bear in mind they'll have no budget to work with and must be freely available, because we can't afford a fee. 

That's the answer I'd give if I was taking the suggestion seriously. But as BBPF has said, it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's the League Cup for fucks sake.

4 hours ago, optimistic said:

Few of my fellow sons fans declaring that Stevie should be sacked, to be 2-1 up, only to lose 6-2, is dreadful at any level, I've been sticking up for him, but not overly convinced I should be. I agree with one of them who said that we should have shut up shop, I do think there's a good team of individuals, but several have a lot to learn it seems, is championship a step too far for them?, maybe we should be judged later in the season, after a few additions.

Anyone else share my fears?

Too early. If we're 6 games in without a point and a honking goals against column, I'll re-consider.

Edited by albundy

As far as I'm concerned it's progress. Failing to score against a team in the league below at home to scoring 2 against a top 6 premiership side is decent. We lost by a smaller margin than the last time we went there.

Calling for the gaffer to be sacked in crazy. It's an extension of preseason and if its bleak at xmas reassess the options. Some folk live in a total fitba manager world.

I did not attend the game today but Any talk of sacking the manager is foolish at this stage. There are some worrying signs and these can't be dressed up like' we always do poorly in cups'. We are leaking goals 10 in 3 competitive games. Our squad needs at least 3 or 4 more players. I might change mind about sacking Stevie if he plays Gary Fleming as a holding midfielder again. 

It's difficult to believe but there were some positives from today's game.

For the first 45 minutes we were decent. Buchanan and Wright looked comfortable at the back, Fleming was much improved on the past 2 outings and Thomson looked lively. The real highlights were Stevenson dictating the play and Stirling getting into dangerous positions. The 2nd half showed up where we're frail - we desperately need a holding midfielder because Buchanan and Wright didnt look great with players running unchallenged at them. At 3-2 we went to pieces and the game was clearly over for us. Thats a worry that we can collapse so completely in the 2nd half of a game, although Dundee were excellent.

It's a source of concern but too early to panic. Darren Barr will hopefully come in and do that defensive midfield role. The small squad is an issue as we have no competition, or even cover, but theres still scope to address that with the right loan signings. If we go through the autumn and we're struggling then the manager may well come under scrutiny, but talk of pressure on the gaffer's job now is way too early. 

I would echo what other have said. I thought our lack of a proper defensive minded player in the midfield was biggest problem today . Dundee upped game and we could organise to hold them out.

pity 3rd goal came as a result of 2 bad ref decisions. Not a free kick and o dea should have been off minutes before for pulling Steve back a clear book able offence.losing that and 4th goal in a minute finished us.

first half was full of positives compared to Tuesday.

i must admit I'm not as optimistic about thommo as others. Certainly works a shift but without support lacks quality for championship and also he comes looking for ball when we really want him up there feeding off crosses etc.

again for nature of game I don't think we utilised our subs properly. What happens if someone gets injured against Dunfermline??

On 21/07/2016 at 14:47, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's fine, it'll very much be worth the wait.

Apologies been a bit busy and not been near the PC since 

giphy.gif

This probably seems like the good times right now....

Edited by itzdrk

19 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

i must admit I'm not as optimistic about thommo as others. Certainly works a shift but without support lacks quality for championship and also he comes looking for ball when we really want him up there feeding off crosses etc.

He is very hit or miss.  Or was at Brechin, prone to scoring a worldy but goes right off it for a bit too long.  Aitken will have seen enough of him to know this when he was at Stranraer, there's a good player in there its just getting that player to appear regularly. 

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

For the first 45 minutes we were decent. Buchanan and Wright looked comfortable at the back, Fleming was much improved on the past 2 outings and Thomson looked lively. The real highlights were Stevenson dictating the play and Stirling getting into dangerous positions. The 2nd half showed up where we're frail - we desperately need a holding midfielder because Buchanan and Wright didnt look great with players running unchallenged at them. At 3-2 we went to pieces and the game was clearly over for us. Thats a worry that we can collapse so completely in the 2nd half of a game, although Dundee were excellent.

It's a source of concern but too early to panic. Darren Barr will hopefully come in and do that defensive midfield role. The small squad is an issue as we have no competition, or even cover, but theres still scope to address that with the right loan signings. If we go through the autumn and we're struggling then the manager may well come under scrutiny, but talk of pressure on the gaffer's job now is way too early. 

Probably also worth noting, at the expense of upsetting S08. That defensive mid is supposedly Gal's best position.

Just now, albundy said:

Probably also worth noting, at the expense of upsetting S08. That defensive mid is supposedly Gal's best position.

To be fair we have never really seen him play there. Stevie seemed insistent on playing Fleming there and Gallagher up top. But don't get me started on that! He's scuppered his chances though by being an idiot and booting Kevin Smith last week, when he's back from suspension Barr will be fit and, I'd imagine, will have have that position nailed down.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

No way Stevie should be sacked now.We really do need a fuller squad and the point of the lack of holding midfielder says it all.With a few decent additions we shpuld improve a fair bit.My only disappointment is that i really think we were capable of progressing from this group.If you look at our cup exploits last season in August we were rank as well.Yet in that same month we beat hibs and st mirren.So lets wait and see what the first quarter of the league season brings.

have been impressed with what I've seen of Andy Stirling so far. He's seems willing to take players on and get a decent ball in the box. Thomson could do with more support I think, maybe McCallum could make a decent partnership with him. Stevenson has the technique but seems to be painfully slow. If he had pace then he probably wouldn't be playing for Dumbarton. I haven't made my mind up about the rest of the new signings yet.

I hadn't realised that we've actually got a few new players in the team. Only five of today's starting line up have played thirty or more games for us. The only worrying thing is that four of those were from our back five today and you'd think when they've played together as often as they have, they might be a wee bit better organised. Obviously we still have Ewings, Barr and Gallagher to come back from injury/suspension so that will help with the chemistry of the side. 

46 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

To be fair we have never really seen him play there. Stevie seemed insistent on playing Fleming there and Gallagher up top. But don't get me started on that! He's scuppered his chances though by being an idiot and booting Kevin Smith last week, when he's back from suspension Barr will be fit and, I'd imagine, will have have that position nailed down.

He played there against St. Mirren at the start of last season and in my opinion it was his best he's had for us. Patrolled the area in front of the back 4 and played the easy pass. Like you I don't understand why we're trying to turn him into Zidane.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He played there against St. Mirren at the start of last season and in my opinion it was his best he's had for us. Patrolled the area in front of the back 4 and played the easy pass. Like you I don't understand why we're trying to turn him into Zidane.

Due to a clause in his contract, mate.

Alright lads, nothing football related but I'm staying in Balloch tonight and going through about 12ish so be there for about 2. Decent boozers there? Got a wedding somewhere on Loch Lomond, that's why I'm staying there.

Alright lads, nothing football related but I'm staying in Balloch tonight and going through about 12ish so be there for about 2. Decent boozers there? Got a wedding somewhere on Loch Lomond, that's why I'm staying there.

Plenty boozers in the Main Street. Tullie inn, balloch house both do decent food. Loads of others if you take a stroll and just pick one.

Just now, Moo said:

Balloch is full of boozers all within walking distance of each other. I don't go out in Balloch often enough to be able to tell you ehat one's are the best but the Glen Roy, Tullie Inn, Balloch House Hotel, the Dog House are all decent boozers all on the same street. Tulle and BHH are more modern, Glen Roy and Dog House are your more old fashioned  pubs.