New Order's 'new' album out today

Richey Edwards

Has anyone checked out Lost Sirens, leftover tracks from the Waiting for the Sirens Call sessions that were originally planned to be used on the followup album that was scrapped after Peter Hook left?

The album is 8 tracks and 40 minutes long so is a similar length to their 80's albums.

Some of the songs are pretty decent, I'll Stay With you and Californian Grass are the standouts for me but the album is lacking a true killer track. Most of them are just like the standard 2000's New Order album tracks IMO.

I know it was left over tracks but the album could have done with a bit more work from the new line-up. Another three or four new songs would have made this a very decent comeback album.

I think it sounds a little weak in comparison to some of their other albums — I'm a big New Order fan, but in all honesty I've not loved either of the 'Sirens'. I'll give it a couple more listens over the next few days, I've a feeling it might be a grower.

I'm liking this tune a lot, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3H6XXsGTQA

New Order are one of those bands that I loved growing up but much of their music has just dated badly for me. If I've got my music on shuffle and they come on with the exception of a few cracking tracks on Power, Corruption and Lies I usually skip over them. Sad but true.

• 1 year later...

New Order are one of those bands that I loved growing up but much of their music has just dated badly for me. If I've got my music on shuffle and they come on with the exception of a few cracking tracks on Power, Corruption and Lies I usually skip over them. Sad but true.

The output up to and including half of Republic still sounds good to me. Whereas I havent listened to The Smiths in about 20 years probably.

I used to love them back in my teenage years, until that gig at the Barras where they fell out on stage and fucked off after about 30 mins.

<<<<<seething, verge of tears etc....

Completely ruined them for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived