Heart of Midlothian vs St Mirren

SEETHING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to lie. Your obsession over Hearts goes beyond normal levels of rivalry, take a break for a bit

Someone needs to get him away from the keyboard or he's going to end up like the gif, smashing his face off it

Since it's St Patrick's Day, in the words of Father Jack, "Feck off, cup!"

Oh well, thanks for getting my hopes up guys with that early goal! Paid the price for not converting the chances they had, and Henry Smith was spot on when he warned earlier in the week it was the back line of experienced players like Webster not paying attention all too often resulting in losing silly goals that would come back to haunt on the day.

Goncalves was quieter than I expected - I'd nightmare visions of him running riot. But he did the necessary when required and his lay-on for the third goal was impeccable. If you had a team with him as target man with Jamie Walker as his wingman, fans would have a treat. Glad to see Taouil playing well when given a chance in the centre of the game instead of being shoved out on the wings.

Good to see Stephen Thompson getting one of the goals (and what a goal at that) considering he's been a lifelong fan.

Congrats to St Mirren anyway, another new winner, and I'm sure HibeeJibee will tell us the last time there was back-to-back new names on the League Cup.

Oh, and that atmosphere (especially the final 15) - need the Old Firm in the finals yer arse!

Was too enthralled in what was an excellent cup final to post. Here's my thoughts.

Early on St Mirren were playing with two midfielders deep, in front of the back four. There was far too much of a gap between them and the 'flair' players (Teale, Goncalves, McGowan) and that allowed an average Hearts midfield to control the play. Hearts could have and should have scored more in that early stage, but Danny Lennon changed it and brough McGowan a bit deeper to create a midfield three which helped Saints get back in the game.

The first St Mirren goal was a good goal. Great hold-up play from Thompson followed by a lovely through ball which Teale latched on to well. It was class from Teale to just slide it to Goncalves in the box instead of going himself. Webster is solely to blame though. The rest of the Hearts back-line pushed up and he dallied which played GT clearly onside.

Thompson's movement for the second was brilliant too. Used all his experience to ghost into the near post and he delivered what was a difficult finish easily. When Saints moved to the central pairing of three (similar to Killie's of Clingan-Fowler-Borja/Winchester) Hearts had no answer, the same way they couldn't compete with our midfield three in the 0-3 game at Tynecastle.

Walker looked good for Hearts early on but tired, whereas Teale was phenomenal for St Mirren. I know I'm meant to dislike him because he's ex-Ayr, but he ran the show today and should have been Man Of The Match IMO. Newton does the donkey work in midfield fantastically well and will never get the credit he deserves for it.

Hearts could have (and probably should have) taken it to extra time but poor finishing from Stevenson (who otherwise had a decent second half) cost them. I thought Goodwin struggled today, and his distribution was poor. I still don't get the Goncalves adoration as I don't think he's that great a player, and is one of those wingers who's second touch is a tackle, but IMO Saints just about edged an excellent cup final and deserved the win.

Well done St Mirren. Commiserations Hearts.

Thanks for serving up a great final.

Why are the Hibs fans loving this so much :blink:

I understand Hearts are your rivals but the level of enjoyment some are taking from this very strange/sad.

I dare say you would be the same if it was East Stirling that got humped.

Congratulations St Mirren

spreading the trophies around, that's what we want and what our game needs

Aye. if only they could be spread a bit further north...

Congratulations St Mirren. Even at 3-1 they were looking to add more, great to see positive football, I'd say about 9 SPL teams are like this at the moment, Scottish football certainly ain't dead.

p.s Was great watching Craig Thompson pick up his runners up medal :lol:

If you'd done a 'hibs' from last year you would've been utterly shagged! Decent game, well done St. Mirren

Wouldn't have been surprised to see us shagged if I'm honest!

Heading out for St. Patrick's day with a bunch of plastic paddy's tonight - Shan.

Was too enthralled in what was an excellent cup final to post. Here's my thoughts.

Early on St Mirren were playing with two midfielders deep, in front of the back four. There was far too much of a gap between them and the 'flair' players (Teale, Goncalves, McGowan) and that allowed an average Hearts midfield to control the play. Hearts could have and should have scored more in that early stage, but Danny Lennon changed it and brough McGowan a bit deeper to create a midfield three which helped Saints get back in the game.

The first St Mirren goal was a good goal. Great hold-up play from Thompson followed by a lovely through ball which Teale latched on to well. It was class from Teale to just slide it to Goncalves in the box instead of going himself. Webster is solely to blame though. The rest of the Hearts back-line pushed up and he dallied which played GT clearly onside.

Thompson's movement for the second was brilliant too. Used all his experience to ghost into the near post and he delivered what was a difficult finish easily. When Saints moved to the central pairing of three (similar to Killie's of Clingan-Fowler-Borja/Winchester) Hearts had no answer, the same way they couldn't compete with our midfield three in the 0-3 game at Tynecastle.

Walker looked good for Hearts early on but tired, whereas Teale was phenomenal for St Mirren. I know I'm meant to dislike him because he's ex-Ayr, but he ran the show today and should have been Man Of The Match IMO. Newton does the donkey work in midfield fantastically well and will never get the credit he deserves for it.

Hearts could have (and probably should have) taken it to extra time but poor finishing from Stevenson (who otherwise had a decent second half) cost them. I thought Goodwin struggled today, and his distribution was poor. I still don't get the Goncalves adoration as I don't think he's that great a player, and is one of those wingers who's second touch is a tackle, but IMO Saints just about edged an excellent cup final and deserved the win.

Well done St Mirren. Commiserations Hearts.

Thanks for serving up a great final.

Good post. Although criticising Ryan Stevenson for poor finishing when he scored twice seems a little harsh.

Archived