NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Lol. Was doubting myself.

Anyway is this game worth looking for a link for just to see how bad Sanchez is. Or have they taken him out yet? Saying that I would quite like to see Geno fail. Arrogant c**t that he is, fits right in with the Jets.

Johnson is dominating Cromartie so yea I'd get a link.

Dee Milliner has made a few nice plays aswell

The Lions beat the Jets 26-17 last night. Mark Sanchez started for the Jets and threw a pick six to Ziggy ansah on the 3rd play of the game. Sanchez looked ok tho as he finished 10-13, 125 yards, TD, INT. Geno Smith also got some time before leaving with a nasty looking ankle injury.

The Dolphins spanked the Jaguars 27-3 in Jacksonville. Chad Henne outplayed Blaine Gabbart for the Jags . Gabbart threw an interception. For the Phins Jonas Gray had 2 TDs on the ground. Number 2 pick Luke Joekel struggled on his debut.

The Patriots beat the Eagles 31-22 in Philly. Tom Brady played 2 drives and threw 2 TDs for the Pats. Tim Tebow got some playing time after Ryan Mallet left the game with a head injury and looked average at best. Mike Vick connected with Deshawn Jackson for a 54 yard TD pass in the 1st quarter. Riley Cooper was met with a mis of boos and cheers from the Philly faithful on his 1st apperance from the racism controversy. Highlights below of Tebows performance.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000228713/The-best-and-worst-of-Tim-Tebow

The Panthers beat the Bears 24-17. Panthers CB Josh Norman had 2 picks on the night including a 60 yarder for a TD. Jay Cutler threw an INT on his 1st play from scrimmage. Cam Newton got a few series and threw a TD to Brandon LaFell.

Tyrann Mathieu stole the show as the Cardinals beat the Packers 17-0 at Lambeau. The honey badger returned 2 punts, looked impressive in the seondary and recorded a sack in the win. Aaron Rodgers played 1 series for the Pack.

The Saints beat the Chiefs 17-13 in Andy Reids debut as KC head coach. New Chiefs QB Alex Smith went 6-7 for 68 yards. Luke McCown threw for over 200 yards in backup of Drew Brees and 2 TDs

Finally the Raiders beat the Cowboys 19-17 in Oakland. Terrelle Pryor outplayed Matt Flynn for the Raiders even tho he was picked in the endzone.

Edited by lichtie23

Was at the Eagles v Patriots game. Eagles defence looked pretty poor throughout though we were able to move the ball reasonably well on offence. Brady gave the guys a bit of a lesson for as long as he played.

Also managed to get myself on the 6pm live ABC news and was interviewed again for the 11pm news... What a day haha

Was at the Eagles v Patriots game. Eagles defence looked pretty poor throughout though we were able to move the ball reasonably well on offence. Brady gave the guys a bit of a lesson for as long as he played.

Also managed to get myself on the 6pm live ABC news and was interviewed again for the 11pm news... What a day haha

:lol: that's superb

Only 1 game last night as the Giants went to Pittsburgh nd beat the Steelers 18-13. Eli hit Cruuuuzzzz for a 57 yard TD pass and 3rd round draft pick Damontre Moore impressed on his debut which included him blocking a punt. Roethlisberger only played 2 series and Landry Jones got some extended playing time. Highlights below

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000228892/Pre-Week-1-Giants-vs-Steelers-highlights

Warning: longish post regarding Jets.

Just got round to watching the Jets game. The defense was good. As expected Coples didn't just play OLB, but everywhere along the DL. I saw him kick inside to DT with Wilkerson in 4 man fronts, out wide as a standing rusher in the 3-4 and even as a NT in a 3 man front. Incidentally, the only time he dropped into coverage was when he was at NT. Kenrick Ellis was mainly used as NT in 3 man fronts and Richardson as the DE. Both had plays where they tossed aside linemen and caused havoc. Wilkerson, as always, was a fucking stud. David Harris made some nice plays at LB and looked better than he did last season. Dee Milliner played well, I thought.

The offense wasn't good. Sanchez made some nice throws but his ball placement was off on a few throws which meant potential YAC were lost as receivers had to adjust their body, footwork and speed to just make the catch. A couple of plays where ball placement was perfect, Kerley gained 20 yards and Winslow 15 after catch. This offensive scheme relies heavily on big plays like those. His Interception was a screen to FB, Tommy Bohanon. Bohanon failed to release from his block and into open space so, for some unknown reason, Sanchez threw it right at Ziggy Ansah who had an excellent game against D'Brick.. Geno Smith has a nice arm and good ball placement. He made his drops then got the ball out of his hands to open receivers. He dumped the ball off to Powell a few times which is a lot better than holding onto the ball and generating pressure which leads to sacks and interceptions. I really liked his game.

We saw a lot of 3 and 4 receiver sets, little use of the TE's and quite a few 2 RB sets. I thought Kerley was as excellent as always and he continues to show natural hands and big play ability. Stephen Hill didn't drop the ball once. Clyde Gates showed some ability to get open and Ryan Spadola has a good shot to make the roster. Keller Winslow made a couple of big plays but was poor as a blocker. Cumberland did nothing of note apart from his TD which was a classic Sanchez throw over the middle.

The offensive line looked shaky at times. There were a lot of silly penalties, particularly the veterans Peterman and Colon. D'Brick was bossed by Ansah on several occassions. Austin Howard had a poor game at RT. This didn't help the run game at all and, most of the time, Powell was running head first into 2 unblocked defenders. On one play where there was space to get to the second level, he made the Safety miss and broke off on a 24 yard run. Love it.

I see thats the end of fansedge as we know it as it has now been fully taken over by football fanatics.ff wont even honour existing orders on fansedge.ukamericansports gone the same way.

Gutted d as it means paying about 30quid in shipping and crossing fingers thwt you dont get stung for the tax when it is delivered.

Alternatively you can use the abysmal nfl europe store which hqs about one jersey and a fuckinh garden gnome for each team I dont even know my the official store holds stock.just order it from thir official suppliers at the nfl store on a weekly basis.i find it incredible how hard it is to buy merchandise from the nfl in 2013

I was re-watching the Jets game to specifically watch Geno Smith and see how he went through his reads. Quite well actually, but there was something else I noticed when watching the couple of series he had at QB. The Jets tried to do some Read Option plays. With very little success.

post-19701-0-18187100-1376425831_thumb.j

Here Geno Smith is about to take the snap from the shotgun and hand it off to #29 (Bilal Powell). Note the Lions DE on the left hand side as we look at it (Willie Young). He's lined up in the wide 9 position between LT (D'Brick) and TE (Kellen Winslow).

post-19701-0-27710500-1376426044_thumb.j

The QB is handing the ball off to the RB whilst keeping his eyes on the Lions DE. The QB decides to hand the ball off as he see's the DE take his first 2 steps up field. However, the DE then cunningly plants his foot and squeezes down inside.

post-19701-0-02456700-1376426631_thumb.j

The LT misses his block on the LB as the TE tries to help but ends up standing around in no mans land (circled in yellow). I think Mangold is supposed to be blocking the MLB, but as the play starts, he steps to the right to find no one and then moves up field to find the MLB is no longer there. That leaves 3 unblocked Lions defenders to make a play on the RB (circled in red).

So to summarise, a good play by the DE to trick the QB into handing the ball off, mixed with terrible blocking and perhaps confusion of assignments, leads to a 1 yard run.

They tried it again on the very next play from a different formation. This time though, the Lions blitzed the Safety and Cornerback. Kellen Winslow was again in no mans land which led to a 4 yard loss. I was going to write something on it but two plays isn't enough basis for an article, so I decided to share it with you.