NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

The Adams one is typical dysfunctional Raiders. They spent all summer rejecting any questions about a potential trade, and then the team has started 2-2 which was pretty much exactly as expected, and now they want to trade him.

Rumours of a rift with Pierce, who earlier today liked an Instagram post talking about potential trade destinations. Never a dull moment following this nonsense team.

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The Adams one is typical dysfunctional Raiders. They spent all summer rejecting any questions about a potential trade, and then the team has started 2-2 which was pretty much exactly as expected, and now they want to trade him.

Rumours of a rift with Pierce, who earlier today liked an Instagram post talking about potential trade destinations. Never a dull moment following this nonsense team.

How much of it is down to Mark Davis?

No offence, because I really don't have a genuine hate for the Raiders, but he's always struck me as an absolute pillock.

I'm not familiar with LV's internal workings, but I'm assuming he would have played some role in hiring Telesco as GM, and that's a decision I genuinely can not comprehend since AFC West teams in particular have had a close up look at the absolute mess he made of the Chargers. I can only justify it by thinking Telesco would have taken any job offered just to remain in that sort of role, and Davis wants a subservient "yes" man, because there is zero argument for handing him it on merit or accomplishments.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

How much of it is down to Mark Davis?

No offence, because I really don't have a genuine hate for the Raiders, but he's always struck me as an absolute pillock.

I'm not familiar with LV's internal workings, but I'm assuming he would have played some role in hiring Telesco as GM, and that's a decision I genuinely can not comprehend since AFC West teams in particular have had a close up look at the absolute mess he made of the Chargers. I can only justify it by thinking Telesco would have taken any job offered just to remain in that sort of role, and Davis wants a subservient "yes" man, because there is zero argument for handing him it on merit or accomplishments.

He already had a subservient yes man in Champ Kelly as his acting GM after firing McDaniels & Ziegler as HC/GM last season. He could have just gone with Kelly if he wanted to walk all over his GM in terms of personnel decisions. The Telesco hire was unexpected but as much as you think he was a bad GM for the Chargers, he hit on early draft picks which is something we struggled with big time for years. And it looks like Telesco has done the same again already, with our top two picks looking very promising already. The rest of the roster construction… tbc.

Mark Davis is pretty incompetent at the football side of things, though, yeah. He preaches being hands off unlike his dad, but then overreacts to the slightest good or bad things that happen and ends up meddling in everything anyway. He handled the Vegas relocation very well in fairness to him, so he clearly has some decent business acumen, but he just doesn’t have an eye for the football stuff.

I take a different view of Telesco's first rounders. There are as many horror picks as there are successes, and the successes are the ones that either inexplicably fell, or were otherwise total no-brainers. It's when he's been left to select in the middle of the First from a pool of much of a muchness talent that he's invariably selected a clunker, and the less said about his drafting from Round 2 on the better.

Herbert, Slater, James, Bosa, the successes, Slater and James fell into his lap, Herbert pick was made for him because the Dolphins decided to go with Tua, and the jury is out on Bosa really because he's devastatingly effective when he's on the field but just can't stay healthy.

DJ Fluker was an idiotic pick, Verrett completely injury riddled coming out and only played in about 40% of the games across his career. Melvin Gordon was utterly meh, never played up to his draft slot (and Telesco traded up) and ultimately lost his job to an UDFA, Mike Williams was a horror selection at #7 and never lived up to that slot, Tillery another headscratcher, he traded up for Kenny Murray and then the team didn't even bother picking up his option year, Zion Johnson has been completely underwhelming, as has Quentin Johnston, and QJ is yet another example of "why the f**k did you take THAT guy???" in the middle of the 1st.

To put it into context, of the players drafted by Telesco since 2013 whose contracts have since expired, only 9 of 52 selections were offered a second contract, and a large number of the remainder didn't play out their full rookie contracts. In the three Telesco drafts since 2021, I'd suggest that on performance so far it's likely only 4-5 of 24 selections will likely be retained. From the 2021 Draft, only 4 of his 9 selections are still on the roster, the 2022 draft is going the same way, we got one starter with a second contract from the 2019 draft, one from the 2018, one from the 2017, one from the 2016....

His hit rate, and retention rate is absolutely appalling, hence why the overriding theme of his time as Chargers GM was a top-heavy team that keeled over due to absolutely no depth season after season.

Edited by Boo Khaki