NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Looking for some good news boys.

Tonight marks the beginning of twenty-seven consecutive weekends of live pro football!

I'd like to wish you all an enjoyable season whatever the game throws your side. And the best of health to all of the players who undertake significant risk in the course of entertaining us.

Bring it on!

The Jets seem so bad that they'll probably be good this year. If that makes any sense

They still get all the press tho.

Question for anyone old enough. Did the Patriots get massive media coverage pre 2000?

Really annoys me that the Titans get zero media coverage, yet we have the 7th best record in the last 15 years. Steve McNair was better than Wilson & Kaepernick will ever be yet he barely got a mention even during his MVP year. All I seem to hear about is these two. As much as I dislike the Rams I'd love to see them win the West. But that won't shut the media up, they'll just question what went wrong in Seattle & SF.

Suppose it lets us fly under the radar like we did in 08

They were saying on the Around the league podcast I listen too that the Titans don't get any coverage and its unfair. Iv got to agree.

The Jets get far too much for being a team that won't make the playoffs

I agree. Complete nothing stories time and again. Laughing at the Jets has become a national past time.

As for the Titans, I saw a comment a couple of weeks back that was spot on. Their season has the most range out of everyone. They could have a top 5 pick in the 2014 draft or win the division and make a play off run.

Edited by GingerSaint

I like the Titans this year, Johnson is due another big season and overall they're a pretty solid outfit.

I just can't see the Jets finishing anywhere but last in the division this year. It may be bias as a Dolphins fan but I'm 100% convinced we'll be at least 4 wins ahead of them with the Bills winning at least 6 and finishing 3rd.

That said I was also convinced for a while we'd top the Pats this season so I'd take my prediction with a tonne of salt

I think only the Pats are going to the playoffs from the AFC East

I really hope that isn't the case, unless we JUST miss out. It's all about 2014 for us, making the playoffs this year would be a great marker for next year.

I am fairly confident we're gonna get 10 wins this year, hopefully it's enough.

I really hope that isn't the case, unless we JUST miss out. It's all about 2014 for us, making the playoffs this year would be a great marker for next year.

I am fairly confident we're gonna get 10 wins this year, hopefully it's enough.

I'm not sure I see you getting 10 but if you do i can see that being a division winning score.

I'm not sure I see you getting 10 but if you do i can see that being a division winning score.

I think we'll get 10, I also think we'll still be behind the Pats, just.

This is the warm up season for us, although being less than .500 would be disappointing

Think I will watch the 99 Super Bowl tonight. Still never seen that whole game before. Will certainly up my excitement for the real stuff startin next month.

Fucking BOOOOO. Did you enjoy it? I assume you mean the 2000 SB as you're a Rams fan.

Still can't believe the second last play. How McNair stayed on his feet I'll never know.

Yeah Super Bowl 34. Season 99. Loved it mate. Is it sad that I was still nervous watching that play.

"Fucking sack the c**t" was the cry I believe I let go. Was a bit ashamed of that.

I still watch the last drive from time to time and still get chills. Still the best SB IMO. The one the Giants won a few years back could rival it.

Should never have come to that tho. We dominated the second half and knew what Warner was capable of after doing exact same to Tampa in the Championship game. We got level and just switched off. Great pass to Bruce (I fucking hate him). We had the momentum to force the punt and drive for a game winning FG.

I'm still bitter and I doubt I'll ever see us there again. We've had good teams since but the Ratbirds seem to have our number in the playoffs.

Does anyone want to have a go at predicting their team's final fifty-three man roster?

Or let us know which big names, former starters, recent draft picks or otherwise noteworthy players are in jeopardy of being cut?

In Arizona the main, and possibly only one in that category is Ryan Williams. A former second round running back who seemed like a really exciting talent at the time but sadly has all the durability of a new born. He was taken in the 2011 draft but has started only three games in his career and has picked up another, though less severe injury, already this camp. The games he did play in he looked apprehensive and was unproductive. There's just no way a new coaching staff and GM gives him a roster spot having drafted two ball carriers and brought in a high profile one through FA. Even with the Youtube highlights from his college days and the fact he's still only 23, I couldn't recommend your team picking him up if/when he is cut. He simply won't play much.

Perhaps another guy worth mentioning is Jamell Fleming who is a corner from Oklahoma who we took last year in the third round. I never liked this pick. He actually played in most games last season and started a few but he wasn't great and was overshadowed by a late round pick, Justin Bethel, who has moved past him on the depth chart now. Compounding that is the fact that we brought in two corners in free agency, both of whom are veteran starters and Tyrann Mathieu who could cover the slot in addition to his work at safety. Moreover most of our defensive backs who can also contribute on special teams and Fleming cannot. He has barely been involved in camp thus far and this is a coaching staff who are placing a great emphasis on good secondary play and turnovers so there's no way he stays. He is quite physical for a corner though and he likes a tackle. He was also fairly highly rated coming out of college so I would expect that he'll get another shot to catch on somewhere if/when he's let go.