NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I genuinely think Barkley is the best QB in the draft this year.....better than Geno Smith for sure

I don't think he is. He had the best receiver tandem in the league (Marqise Lee will be a top 5 pick next year) and still didn't have great numbers. Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Zac Dysert, EJ Manuel and Landry Jones all threw for more yards. That's every single QB that is likely to be picked in the draft (barring some 7th round flyers). I know stats aren't everything, but the weapons he had and the production he gave is telling.

Like I said, he's a smart guy and I'm sure he'll be picked in the top half of the 2nd at worst but I don't get it. I just don't.

Bucs need a CB (maybe 2) big time, so i hope we can get Milliner,Banks ,Rhodes or Trufant . We struggled a secondary all year and we ranked dead last against the pass! :thumbsdown

Bucs have a few holes!

I would like to see Freeman make the jump to another level, he has most of the tools and it will be his 5th year in the league.

Be nice to see if he can pull it off.

So come on then, which team is Revis being traded to? Will he be traded?

I don't want to trade him. At first, I thought it was more of a statement that we were looking at every option available to turn around the franchise. However, this came out before Idzik became the new GM and Woody Johnson is a fucking lunatic who doesn't know how to run a football team. Revis deserves a bigger contract than he is currently on, he's the best defensive player in the league (or was, pre-injury). He is getting less money than Antonio Cromartie this season and only $3m in base salary. Revis reportedly wants $16m per year and $60m in guaranteed money.

We simply cannot afford that because we have overpaid other players like Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. All but David Harris will be gone before the start of the 2014 season. If Harris has a poor year, he may also get cut as that would save $5m. All these players were starters so we have to replace them, through the draft preferably. However, in the 2012 Draft, only 3 of our 8 draft picks had any real playing time (2 didn't make the practice squad) and none of them came close to playing every snap. From 2011, 2 of 6 are starters, 2 back ups and 2 that won't have any effect. From 2010, 0 of 4 are starters, first round pick Kyle Wilson is the 3rd corner on the depth chart, 2 are back ups and 1 was cut. From 2009, 3 of 3 were starters last year and only Sanchez is likely to be starting this year. From 2008, only Dustin Keller remains on the roster and he is likely to be gone by the start of the season.

Where am I going with this? Well, if we give Revis the money he deserves, that means we need to cut more players next season when the contract takes effect. We will have a very thin depth chart and no money to sign FA's. With our terrible draft history, it will be difficult to rebuild this team solely through the draft. 2013 will be okay. We are fucked in 2014.

I don't want to trade him. At first, I thought it was more of a statement that we were looking at every option available to turn around the franchise. However, this came out before Idzik became the new GM and Woody Johnson is a fucking lunatic who doesn't know how to run a football team. Revis deserves a bigger contract than he is currently on, he's the best defensive player in the league (or was, pre-injury). He is getting less money than Antonio Cromartie this season and only $3m in base salary. Revis reportedly wants $16m per year and $60m in guaranteed money.

We simply cannot afford that because we have overpaid other players like Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. All but David Harris will be gone before the start of the 2014 season. If Harris has a poor year, he may also get cut as that would save $5m. All these players were starters so we have to replace them, through the draft preferably. However, in the 2012 Draft, only 3 of our 8 draft picks had any real playing time (2 didn't make the practice squad) and none of them came close to playing every snap. From 2011, 2 of 6 are starters, 2 back ups and 2 that won't have any effect. From 2010, 0 of 4 are starters, first round pick Kyle Wilson is the 3rd corner on the depth chart, 2 are back ups and 1 was cut. From 2009, 3 of 3 were starters last year and only Sanchez is likely to be starting this year. From 2008, only Dustin Keller remains on the roster and he is likely to be gone by the start of the season.

Where am I going with this? Well, if we give Revis the money he deserves, that means we need to cut more players next season when the contract takes effect. We will have a very thin depth chart and no money to sign FA's. With our terrible draft history, it will be difficult to rebuild this team solely through the draft. 2013 will be okay. We are fucked in 2014.

It will be interesting to see how he recovers back to the level he was pre injury.

And it will be a lot of fun to watch QBs test him by throwing his way just to see how he fares.

So your thoughts on Sanchez then? obviously Tebow isn't a starter for the Jets.

Do you keep Sanchez and see where he takes you or try trade him?

It will be interesting to see how he recovers back to the level he was pre injury.

And it will be a lot of fun to watch QBs test him by throwing his way just to see how he fares.

I did like Mark Sanchez. He won play off games. He was improving year by year but then he took a massive step back last season. I don't think the franchise did the right thing by bringing in Tebow. Having Tony Sparano call the plays then having two of your best receivers go down with injury (Keller and Holmes) certainly didn't help. I think what Sanchez needs is a solid play action game that makes the defense hesitate, then an open receiver to throw to - Think 49ers and Texans. We can't give him that so he needs to move on to be successful.

He will have to be on the roster for this season because of his contract situation. I don't think there's a market for a trade, although I think someone like the Steelers could be interested in a good back up. My opinion is that we sign Matt Moore to compete with Sanchez in training camp and be a stop gap until we get a franchise QB in the 2014 draft (preferably Teddy Bridgewater). Moore has experience of starting in the NFL - I think he had a decent season in 2011 and was unlucky that Tannehill made an immediate impact in 2012. We may even see Sanchez emerge from training camp as QB1.

Nobody would want Sanchez, they need to get a solid team for Sanchez and his definite replacement to play around, or a defence just to simply compensate for their offensive deficiencies, drafting a QB for the sake of one has sold several franchises down the river for a few more years, Redskins, Cleveland, Bengals in the 90s.

I did like Mark Sanchez. He won play off games. He was improving year by year but then he took a massive step back last season. I don't think the franchise did the right thing by bringing in Tebow. Having Tony Sparano call the plays then having two of your best receivers go down with injury (Keller and Holmes) certainly didn't help. I think what Sanchez needs is a solid play action game that makes the defense hesitate, then an open receiver to throw to - Think 49ers and Texans. We can't give him that so he needs to move on to be successful.

He will have to be on the roster for this season because of his contract situation. I don't think there's a market for a trade, although I think someone like the Steelers could be interested in a good back up. My opinion is that we sign Matt Moore to compete with Sanchez in training camp and be a stop gap until we get a franchise QB in the 2014 draft (preferably Teddy Bridgewater). Moore has experience of starting in the NFL - I think he had a decent season in 2011 and was unlucky that Tannehill made an immediate impact in 2012. We may even see Sanchez emerge from training camp as QB1.

I have read a few pieces about Alex Smith landing at the Jets, if Sanchez went to Cleveland/Arizona would you like Smith as the guy? or is he not independent enough?

Nobody would want Sanchez, they need to get a solid team for Sanchez and his definite replacement to play around, or a defence just to simply compensate for their offensive deficiencies, drafting a QB for the sake of one has sold several franchises down the river for a few more years, Redskins, Cleveland, Bengals in the 90s.

A fresh start is maybe just the thing that Sanchez needs

I have read a few pieces about Alex Smith landing at the Jets, if Sanchez went to Cleveland/Arizona would you like Smith as the guy? or is he not independent enough?

He's a definite upgrade on what we already have. However, I think his performance has been because of the excellent roster and playing style of the 49ers. He gets excellent protection and executes play action well because of the successful run game. If there was no other options and I could do a straight swap for Sanchez, I would do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't like him as a franchise QB, but he can be more effective as a stop gap until we get one. Our cap situation prohibits that and I don't think it would be viable or sensible.

You think that not one team would take Sanchez? I think some teams are desperate enough.

I suppose the problem is like GS mentioned above, overpaying for talent not worth it has left them little or no cap space to operate in.

So while he may have to stay for say 2 more seasons the team around him will keep deteriorating, if they keep revis they lose x/y/z if they lose revis their D is even more exposed.

Rock and a hard place I suppose.

If only they let Tebow save them

He's a definite upgrade on what we already have. However, I think his performance has been because of the excellent roster and playing style of the 49ers. He gets excellent protection and executes play action well because of the successful run game. If there was no other options and I could do a straight swap for Sanchez, I would do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't like him as a franchise QB, but he can be more effective as a stop gap until we get one. Our cap situation prohibits that and I don't think it would be viable or sensible.

Should be an interesting offseason for the Jets.