NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I know this should be in the gambling forum, but I can't help thinking im going mental.

Paddy power have a mythical handicap this weekend between the pats and the broncos.

so the pats are -18.5 and the broncos are +18.5

as far as my understanding of handicaps go, the broncos get +18.5 added to their weekly point total and the pats get 18.5 taken away from their points total.

The broncos scored 49 on thur, +18.5 means that their handicap total is 67.5

so the pats would need to score 90 odd to win the bet??? 90-18 = 7

or have I got it the wrong way around??

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/american-football/nfl-weekly-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=1290711

No.

No.

go on.......

but on regular handicap betting the pats are -10 against the bills tomorrow the bills are +10, meaning if the score is pats 30 bills 11, the bills win the handicap right?

duh, I mean pats 30 bills 21

Edited by thehoss

go on.......

but on regular handicap betting the pats are -10 against the bills tomorrow the bills are +10, meaning if the score is pats 30 bills 11, the bills win the handicap right?

I don't think that's right.

Say the handicap is Patriots (-10) and Bills (+10) then you would place your bet dependant on who you think would win, but they are both the same bet. You are essentially betting the Bills will win with a 10 point lead, or where you think the Patriots would win by more than 10 points, thus beating the spread.

So for your bet, then the Broncos get 18.5 points added to their total, meaning the Patriots need to score 68 points for you to win the bet, I think.

go on.......

You only either add the points to one or take the points from the other. Not both.

So if you fancy Buffalo to make it a fairly close game, anything better than a nine point loss and you still win. For example, 21 - 12.

In terms of that fantasy point spread between NE and Den, I presume it will be determined by the difference in score in both of those matches. So Denver won by 22 on Thursday which means NE will have to win by 41 points on the spread above.

Or, Denver scored 49 so NE need 68 against Buffalo to cover. Either way I find them both very farfetched.

It seems to me like they've put that bet up prior to kick off in the Denver game thinking theirs would be a tight game and NE will be a blowout. I'll be amazed if you can still get that bet on.

Regardless, it needs to be explained far better than it is (i.e. not at all) on the website before you should touch it.

I don't think that's right.

Say the handicap is Patriots (-10) and Bills (+10) then you would place your bet dependant on who you think would win, but they are both the same bet. You are essentially betting the Bills will win with a 10 point lead, or where you think the Patriots would win by more than 10 points, thus beating the spread.

So for your bet, then the Broncos get 18.5 points added to their total, meaning the Patriots need to score 68 points for you to win the bet, I think.

Ok, so taking your explanation that if I place a bet on the bills, because they are +10 they have a 10 point headstart, or 10pts added to their final points total to win.

if the broncos are +18 doesn't that mean the same thing? they get a 18pt headstart, or as you put it im betting the broncos to win with a 18pt lead.

This is why I am confused, I understand regular handicap betting, +10 for the bills means they get 10extra points to win, if i bet them to win.

so if the pats are - 18.5 that means they need to score 68 to beat the broncos weekly total of 46??

so why isn't everyone piling on the broncos bet?

You only either add the points to one or take the points from the other. Not both.

So if you fancy Buffalo to make it a fairly close game, anything better than a nine point loss and you still win. For example, 21 - 12.

In terms of that fantasy point spread between NE and Den, I presume it will be determined by the difference in score in both of those matches. So Denver won by 22 on Thursday which means NE will have to win by 41 points on the spread above.

Or, Denver scored 49 so NE need 68 against Buffalo to cover. Either way I find them both very farfetched.

It seems to me like they've put that bet up prior to kick off in the Denver game thinking theirs would be a tight game and NE will be a blowout. I'll be amazed if you can still get that bet on.

Regardless, it needs to be explained far better than it is (i.e. not at all) on the website before you should touch it.

This is why I am confused, because it seems like free money to bet the broncos.

Yeah, which is why I think it looks like an error on their part or one they've neglected to take down after kick off on Thursday.

Thanks for your help in explaining it. put a fiver on it! won't be too miffed if they refund it once they notice the error though.

Thanks for your help in explaining it. put a fiver on it! won't be too miffed if they refund it once they notice the error though.

No bother, mate.

I'm not saying it's a mistake for sure, it's just that the only two ways I can interpret it make it seem like easy money on Denver.

They really need to explain that though if they're going to ask people to bet on events that aren't truly being played.

No bother, mate.

I'm not saying it's a mistake for sure, it's just that the only two ways I can interpret it make it seem like easy money on Denver.

They really need to explain that though if they're going to ask people to bet on events that aren't truly being played.

Yeah, I agree, I did ask the live chat type people on the website, but he was a little hazy on the subject and suspected it worked similar to the normal handicap betting.

Anyway apologies for clogging up the excellent NFL thread.

Thanks again.

No bother, mate.

Think I figured it. If you bet on the broncos +18.5 you are betting they score 18.5 points more than pats. so if the pats score 30 then you lose the bet.