Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

they are kept going by the Barnett formula and the administration by

the parliament of the monies disbursed to Scotland through that formula.

It stands to reason that Westminster won't be giving us money beyond the period of the negotiations.

It may be that we save a hefty chunk of money by ditching nuclear

/shrinking the army to Irish army levels / not having to pay for

Britain's laughable foreign policy hubris.

But it won't save all the money required to maintain free

prescriptions, free health care, help for old folk in winter, ongoing

transport infrastructure costs, and free university education for

domestic students.

I can't see any way to parse this beyond "without Barnett we can't afford these".

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm firmly in the Yes camp.

The negativity of the no campaign and the concentration on peoples fears about jobs, the economy etc. will be hard to break down though.

I have been discussing this with my sisters in law and their husbands, who all have pretty well paid public sector jobs, and they fear what will happen should we get independence. Here are a few points they made.

The teachers particularly are less than happy with the curriculum for excellence that the SNP have introduced and use this to score points against them. An interesting point made was that they fear the calibre of politician Scotland would have post Indy. They agree that Eck is capable but who else of that calibre is around? They seem to be a mix of mainly labour and a couple of Tories. They were unimpressed by the Scottish parliament leaders of these parties yet, amazingly, seemed to find Cameron and Milliband acceptable, a bit of a cringe going on here.

My brother in law (a doctor) dropped this one in that I still can't fathom out (he f'd off after telling me). He has a French mother and is arranging to get French passports for his 3 kids " just in case independence happens". He's always been a flapper but this shows the depths of fear that some people have out there.

The Yes campaign needs to start scotching the myths of fear sooner rather than later.

The teachers particularly are less than happy with the curriculum for excellence that the SNP

Yes, my sisters are both teachers and despise the SNP.

I believe the Scottish government have cunted the class size thing too, according to primary teachers anyway.

I'm a bit confused here as well - if we contribute more than we get back, those sums don't add up.

Not really. That presumes a constant expenditure versus the current one and the same level of income post-indy.

Ad Lib explains it nicely.

Scotland doesn't get independence without a domestic settlement, which only Westminster can legislate to deliver. Thus the current maritime boundary will be part of the domestic negotiations for independence, and the settlement is very unlikely to be agreed to unless that is resolved or uncontested in those negotiations. So until Scotland is independent, it can do nothing as a matter of international law to set any maritime boundary on terms it perceives to be more equitable, and after it has become independent, that matter will almost certainly have been settled by negotiation between it and the UK. In the unlikely event that isn't resolved, the question goes to ICJ arbitration, but they can only offer an advisory opinion which the UK can reject if it doesn't like it. Then you have fishing wars in trawlers and trade wars over the ownership of oil fields, which should be great fun.

My point is that any "domestic settlement" is pretty much going to be in line with what would be defined by current international convention.

Not really. That presumes a constant expenditure versus the current one and the same level of income post-indy.

Ad Lib explains it nicely.

We have a lower deficit (very slightly, but it is lower) than the rest of the UK. The other two points are completely irrelevant to Barnett. I don't know why Barnett was raised at all.

I'm firmly in the Yes camp.

The negativity of the no campaign and the concentration on peoples fears about jobs, the economy etc. will be hard to break down though.

The Yes campaign needs to start scotching the myths of fear sooner rather than later.

The yes campaign shouldnt,and wont, allow the no campaign dictate the terms of the debate. there will always be those on both sides who wont change their minds on way or another.

the no campaign want it to be focussed on fear of the unknown and how hards its going to be redefining maritime boundaries and not having access to the uks 5 billion treaties.

the challenge for yes is to acknowledge we dont know what the future holds in the uk or out.however we have a clear yes or no choice. do we want to go down that road with scotland and scotlands people deciding that future or with the current set up. what do you think gives you the best chance of realising the scotland you want for the future.

also for anyone voting yes-you are the yes campaign. the revolution will not be televised. you need to speak to friends and relatives and help clear away the no campaign obsfucation and scaremongering. this is a very simple choice - what way offers the best hope of the scotland you want to.see?

Re: the question of why more people don't contribute to this thread, it could be because it is dominated by a few posters with condescending attitudes and who insist on running over the same ground while trying to point score?

ETA- on both sides.

Re: the question of why more people don't contribute to this thread, it could be because it is dominated by a few posters with condescending attitudes and who insist on running over the same ground while trying to point score?

That just sounds like laziness tbh.

My point is that any "domestic settlement" is pretty much going to be in line with what would be defined by current international convention.

Right. So you have abandoned the whole "entitlement" thing?

ETA- on both sides.

Sounds worryingly like tone trolling, which is absolutely the worst intervention to any thread.

And that includes chuckles.

We can fairly easily say that we were never consulted on this, and that we were never given any say. Its another example of why we are in a damn good negotiating position when it comes to the UK. If they object and try and claim their redrawn land, we can just patrol the area with our nuclear subs. :D

If you are actually interested in learning about this Todders, then this is a decent starting point.

Very very brief conclusion :-

"The primary rule for maritime delimitation accepted both by conventional law and customary law is that the delimitation must be effected by agreement. Maritime boundaries between States, to be secure and stable, have to be settled by agreement between them. The negotiation process between States is very important for the achievement of positive results. The subject of maritime boundary, like the subject of land boundary, is a sensitive one and should be handled carefully and with

understanding of the opposite viewpoints. Despite serious and meaningful negotiations if difficulties and disputes arise, the parties may resort to the third-party

settlement procedures."

http://www.un.org/depts/los/nippon/unnff_programme_home/fellows_pages/fellows_papers/dundua_0607_georgia.pdf

Archived