Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was an enjoyable evening, well worth the drive up. (Need to change my location to Dunfermline)

I'm arrogant as f**k so first I'll talk about my involvement with the debate and with Blair McDougall.

In his opening statement McDougall said his solidarity didn't stop at the border, he then went on to say in answer to the first question (about prosperity) that if he felt the quality of life of Scots would increase with independence he'd be on Jenkins' side. I pointed out that these two statements directly contradicted each other. As 3 questions were asked consecutively, McDougall didn't answer it and Brian Taylor didn't force the point.

In his defence, as soon as the debate ended he signalled to me he would answer my question directly. I'll let you speculate as to why he didn't answer it as part of the debate. His response was quite unconvincing, he told me he wanted the best for both Scotland and England. I responded by saying this didn't clear up the contradiction, and he waffled around that same point about being best for both. He then discussed economics and the bank bail out with my friend. Economics are not my area of interest or involved in my reason for voting yes, so I left them to it.

I then asked him about another commonly heard phrase from the no camp, "we'd be turning our family and friends into foreigners". I told him I was very uncomfortable with this as it implies that you can only be one or the other and that foreigner was being presented as something bad. I told him I had cousins from London and I already viewed them as foreign and that it mattered not one jot, I still love them and want them to do well because they were family. He told me there's nothing wrong with being foreign but he would prefer them not to be. He couldn't offer any reason as to why.

He then asked me if I was voting yes and I confirmed I was. He ended the conversation shortly after with the only point we could agree on is that after the referendum we'll all have to live together.

Anyway, that was my experience of tonight. I'll post more in depth about the debate as a whole tomorrow as I'm bloody shattered but I expect we'll see a lot written about it online. Probably not the papers/TV as a significant majority of the room were pro-independence.

I then asked him about another commonly heard phrase from the no camp, "we'd be turning our family and friends into foreigners". I told him I was very uncomfortable with this as it implies that you can only be one or the other and that foreigner was being presented as something bad. I told him I had cousins from London and I already viewed them as foreign and that it mattered not one jot, I still love them and want them to do well because they were family. He told me there's nothing wrong with being foreign but he would prefer them not to be. He couldn't offer any reason as to why.

And this is why anyone who truly calls themselves a liberal, an internationalist, a globalist, or just someone who's not a scumbag really needs to think long and hard about the 'foreigner' chat that's coming from the Unionist camp? Is that the side of history you want to be on?

the schengen zone is brilliant btw, it should be extended worldwide.

Agreed, Schengen is amazing. Really speeds things up. I feel like such a dick coming into the UK from somewhere like Poland and having to do the whole 'papers, please' thing.

Not really what the article says, is it? I think that sanity would prevail and 1) Scotland's wishes to maintain the CTA would be taken into account, 2) so would the fact that Scotland only has one land border, and 3) the precedent of the system already working.

However, I really would prefer that we (and Ireland) joined Schengen. I just don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon.

the schengen zone is brilliant btw, it should be extended worldwide.

This.

I travel all over Europe, sometimes popping in and out of Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg half a dozen times in a day then get Ryanair to Edinburgh and stand for nearly an hour to get checked in by some surly cunto who thinks he is doing me a favour.

f**k off.

I'll chuck my name into the Schengen fanclub. It's just brilliant being able to move about. I can't understand why people wouldn't want to be a part of it.

Can't let those foreign pig dogs have an easy time of it even if it means we're inconvenienced more often than they are.

That was an enjoyable evening, well worth the drive up. (Need to change my location to Dunfermline)

I'm arrogant as f**k so first I'll talk about my involvement with the debate and with Blair McDougall.

In his opening statement McDougall said his solidarity didn't stop at the border, he then went on to say in answer to the first question (about prosperity) that if he felt the quality of life of Scots would increase with independence he'd be on Jenkins' side. I pointed out that these two statements directly contradicted each other. As 3 questions were asked consecutively, McDougall didn't answer it and Brian Taylor didn't force the point.

In his defence, as soon as the debate ended he signalled to me he would answer my question directly. I'll let you speculate as to why he didn't answer it as part of the debate. His response was quite unconvincing, he told me he wanted the best for both Scotland and England. I responded by saying this didn't clear up the contradiction, and he waffled around that same point about being best for both. He then discussed economics and the bank bail out with my friend. Economics are not my area of interest or involved in my reason for voting yes, so I left them to it.

He then asked me if I was voting yes and I confirmed I was. He ended the conversation shortly after with the only point we could agree on is that after the referendum we'll all have to live together.

Anyway, that was my experience of tonight. I'll post more in depth about the debate as a whole tomorrow as I'm bloody shattered but I expect we'll see a lot written about it online. Probably not the papers/TV as a significant majority of the room were pro-independence.

Cool story.

Archived