Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Then they're unlikely even to be eligible to stand in UK elections (in the first two instances at least) as they'd not meet the citizenship criteria.

If someone was coming from there and decided to get involved with local council politics, it would be far less evidence of carpetbagging than someone from Edinburgh. If they had lived in Germany or Jamaica and subsequently moved to Essex then stood for council in Hampshire, it would be absolutely legitimate to point out that they were not part of the community they sought to represent, and hailed from elsewhere.

yeah except this is LITERALLY not what happened here. the candidate lives in bristol and went to university in bristol- she just doesnt live in the ward she is standing for. an extremely common situation in local council elections in cities.

for someone who like to make great play of their intellect you have conveniently left it at the door here and shown a complete lack of intellectual honesty. if the snp ever made reference to a candidates nationality,ethnicity or homeland i would resign immediately.its disgusting desperate politics.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then they're unlikely even to be eligible to stand in UK elections (in the first two instances at least) as they'd not meet the citizenship criteria.

If someone was coming from there and decided to get involved with local council politics, it would be far less evidence of carpetbagging than someone from Edinburgh. If they had lived in Germany or Jamaica and subsequently moved to Essex then stood for council in Hampshire, it would be absolutely legitimate to point out that they were not part of the community they sought to represent, and hailed from elsewhere.

Someone from Kingston Jamaica isn't a carpetbagger, but someone from Edinburgh is. Are you sure about that. Also your telling me that someone from Jamaica or Somalia are unlikely to be eligible due to them not be citizens.

So its ok to tell my local councillor that she shouldn't be standing for council because she is English and I know has lived in several other areas before settling in our area approx. 20 years ago( she also lives 15 miles outside her ward).

Someone from Kingston Jamaica isn't a carpetbagger, but someone from Edinburgh is. Are you sure about that. Also your telling me that someone from Jamaica or Somalia are unlikely to be eligible due to them not be citizens.

It is far more likely, yes. And yes, I'm telling you that someone who has lived most of their life in Jamaica or Somalia is less likely to be eligible to stand for election in the United Kingdom. You have to be a UK citizen or an EU citizen.

So its ok to tell my local councillor that she shouldn't be standing for council because she is English and I know has lived in several other areas before settling in our area approx. 20 years ago( she also livrs 15 miles outside her ward).

No one said that they shouldn't stand. Simply that you shouldn't vote for them because they've got no credible record of action in the community. Again, no one here has been derogatorily called "Scottish". They've been derogatorily treated because they spent most of their life in Scotland and even after recently moving to England, did not even stay in the Council area, let alone the ward, in which they were standing. That's ENTIRELY fair game.

Must be painful for anyone who is a liberal democrat just now.

Being behind UKiP in most of the country's opinion polls is downright shocking.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

yeah except this is LITERALLY not what happened here. the candidate lives in bristol and went to university in bristol- she just doesnt live in the ward she is standing for. an extremely common situation in local council elections in cities.

for someone who like to make great play of their intellect you have conveniently left it at the door here and shown a complete lack of intellectual honesty. if the snp ever made reference to a candidates nationality,ethnicity or homeland i would resign immediately.its disgusting desperate politics.

No reference was made to her nationality, ethnicity or homeland. Reference was made to her not living in the area, rather in Scotland "most of her life". It's entirely legitimate to attack people who do not live in the ward they stand in AT ALL, let alone for a significant period of time, as not having adequate local credentials.

It is far more likely, yes. And yes, I'm telling you that someone who has lived most of their life in Jamaica or Somalia is less likely to be eligible to stand for election in the United Kingdom. You have to be a UK citizen or an EU citizen.No one said that they shouldn't stand. Simply that you shouldn't vote for them because they've got no credible record of action in the community. Again, no one here has been derogatorily called "Scottish". They've been derogatorily treated because they spent most of their life in Scotland and even after recently moving to England, did not even stay in the Council area, let alone the ward, in which they were standing. That's ENTIRELY fair game.

Living in Scotland was used as a negative by LibDem campaigners when it was unneccessary. Again if it happened here with SNP or Labour the culprits, the LibDems would be on uproar. You didn't answer my question is it ok for me to challenge my local councillor for being an English carpetbagger like your colleagues in bristol have.

Living in Scotland was used as a negative by LibDem campaigners when it was unneccessary. Again if it happened here with SNP or Labour the culprits, the LibDems would be on uproar. You didn't answer my question is it ok for me to challenge my local councillor for being an English carpetbagger like your colleagues in bristol have.

No campaign tactics are "necessary". Challenging the local credentials of a candidate based on where they have lived most of their life is an entirely legitimate campaign tactic. As long as it is not framed in xenophobic language, which that leaflet was not, it is fine. It's not "living in Scotland" that is used as a negative in this leaflet. It is "not living here", evidenced by the fact that she had lived in Scotland "most of her life".

I don't know how old your councillor is, or how long they have lived and been active in the area. If they don't live in the ward though, or have lived elsewhere for a long time before standing, and are relatively new to the area, then absolutely it is legitimate to point out that they have only recently moved from somewhere in England to where you live.

No campaign tactics are "necessary". Challenging the local credentials of a candidate based on where they have lived most of their life is an entirely legitimate campaign tactic. As long as it is not framed in xenophobic language, which that leaflet was not, it is fine. It's not "living in Scotland" that is used as a negative in this leaflet. It is "not living here", evidenced by the fact that she had lived in Scotland "most of her life".

I don't know how old your councillor is, or how long they have lived and been active in the area. If they don't live in the ward though, or have lived elsewhere for a long time before standing, and are relatively new to the area, then absolutely it is legitimate to point out that they have only recently moved from somewhere in England to where you live.

How long do you have to live in the general area of a ward to be eligible in your eyes.

In fact looking through your general criteria I am happy to inform you that my local MP Mr Alan Reid Liberal Democrat is in fact a carpetbagger and I demand you and your party members remove him from his seat.

How long do you have to live in the general area of a ward to be eligible in your eyes.

I don't think you have to live in a general area of a ward to be eligible. Eligibility and credibility are completely different things.

In fact looking through your general criteria I am happy to inform you that my local MP Mr Alan Reid Liberal Democrat is in fact a carpetbagger and I demand you and your party members remove him from his seat.

If you think in that particular instance that his not living within the constituency is evidence that he isn't committed to your constituency or lacks a record of action in your constituency, it's entirely within your right to remove him from his seat and to campaign for a more local candidate in the 2015 election. I won't stand in your way.

I don't think you have to live in a general area of a ward to be eligible. Eligibility and credibility are completely different things.

My local councillor and MP are credible but this girl isn't why not. How long does someone have to live in the area to make them credible?

My local councillor and MP are credible but this girl isn't why not. How long does someone have to live in the area to make them credible?

It depends. If they live like a street outside an arbitrary council ward boundary, and have been active in the local community for several (i.e. like 4-5 minimum) years then it's not a comparable situation to where, say, someone has been about for 2 years, and has never been active in the community and lives in, say, Anniesland, and is standing in Pollok.

ETA: I didn't say your councillor was credible.

It depends. If they live like a street outside an arbitrary council ward boundary, and have been active in the local community for several (i.e. like 4-5 minimum) years then it's not a comparable situation to where, say, someone has been about for 2 years, and has never been active in the community and lives in, say, Anniesland, and is standing in Pollok.

ETA: I didn't say your councillor was credible.

Well the girl in Bristol has lived there since 2007 that would make her credible then.

What about Alan Reid he is from ayrshire and living in Renfrewshire when he sat for Argyll and Bute? He never lived in the area at anytime.

If you think in that particular instance that his not living within the constituency is evidence that he isn't committed to your constituency or lacks a record of action in your constituency, it's entirely within your right to remove him from his seat and to campaign for a more local candidate in the 2015 election. I won't stand in your way.

So your saying he isn't a carpetbagger?

Front page of the herald tomorrow promises to be a doozy...

m.facebook.com/home.php?__user=517496063#!/photo.php?fbid=458105080931450&id=199573770117917&set=a.233148850093742.56160.199573770117917&__user=517496063

Paddy Ashdown breaking ranks to show moral fibre unknown to the Lib Dems (north british division), and a bonus Michael Moore story!

Apologies for link quality, on my phone.

Archived