Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So why did you feel that mentioning that he lived in London was relevant?

It's not that he lives in London that is relevant. It's that his life is in London. Whether or not he supports the principle of independence, he won't be voting and he won't be leaving the UK, whether or not Scotland is still a part of it.

Why did you suggest he could say "aye for now" in relation to that Wimbledon question? Why would he do this?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell you what though, I would love Murray to win Wimbledon, and when interviewed about how it feels to be the first British Winner since Fred Perry, he should just reply "aye, for now..."

What makes you think Andy Murray is pro-Independence?

One thing is for sure, he won't be living in Scotland again for the foreseeable future. He's a Londoner now.

Which is why I have never said he is a Unionist.

It's not that he lives in London that is relevant. It's that his life is in London. Whether or not he supports the principle of independence, he won't be voting and he won't be leaving the UK, whether or not Scotland is still a part of it.

Why did you suggest he could say "aye for now" in relation to that Wimbledon question? Why would he do this?

:lol: REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE

And why did I suggest it? Because I thought it would be quite funny!

I'm not sure why I have to explain the point of the quote. It's embarrassingly obvious.

If we are assuming the quote is real and came from an actual minister, then some people feel it's in the interests of those who do not wish Scotland to secede (i.e. the UK government) to talk up the chances of difficulties down the line with for example EU membership. I don't agree that this is necessary, but I understand the tactics.

So essentially, the Unionists are saying that Spain will block EU membership in order to stoke fear. It was a long walk, but we got there eventually. :)

Tell you what though, I would love Murray to win Wimbledon, and when interviewed about how it feels to be the first British Winner since Fred Perry, he should just reply "aye, for now..."

What makes you think Andy Murray is pro-Independence?

One thing is for sure, he won't be living in Scotland again for the foreseeable future. He's a Londoner now.

Which is why I have never said he is a Unionist.

Yes again, thanks for clarifying that I have never said Andy Murray is a Unionist.

Kudos for the climbdown.

Anyone else sense a bit of a turn in future towards Yes? I can't quite put my finger on it, and it's not exactly a stream of pro-independence messages in the media, but just it certainly feels a bit that people are beginning to question BT on what makes us better together.

No idea how the referendum will go, but I dunno - the last few folk I've been speaking to (the ones who were very much against Independence only last year/months ago) now seem to want information, some undecided and a couple have even changed their mind to now voting yes.

I don't know if there is enough people in Scotland to win 50 plus 1, but Ladbrokes offering 5/6 on over 35% of the vote looks like an absolute steal!

When even the die hard Unionist rags and MSPs like Carlaw are ridiculing some of the scare stories then you wonder what might happen next.

You could see Labour and the Libs the polls are michty ticht or have Yes in the lead will come out havering next summer/autumn with a plan for further devolution as our treat, if we vote No.

The only concern I see is how are Yes going to win over the more cautious voter? There's no way that Yes will be able to give direct numbers, figures about the future, much like the UK cannot either, or for what will happen with the EU, but how many caw-canny voters are out.

Next spring/summer is when it all matters and when the majority of the population will engage in this. Right now its just a load of WARNINGS being reported almost daily on Scaring Scotland at 6.30pm or BT running stories about phone charges and we'll be forced to speak Gaelic by 2016.

Are they any BT activists on here? Or is that like looking for a Tory voter in the East End of Glasgow?

Or even Yes campaigners? From bits I've read online here and there, they are saying that if anything of their internal polling has shown that many are undecided in huge numbers 40% plus.

We've not had a poll in a while. May, I think. It would be interesting to see one in the next while, and very interesting if it was done by Panelbase.

This week has been a bit of a disaster for Better Together and the Yes Campaign hasn't needed to lift a finger as it's been all their own doing.

The leaking of Project Fear has literally made them look (and I quote a leading Unionist) "a bit silly" and leader Blair McDougall has to take a lot of the blame for that!

In fact Blair McDougall is becoming a bit of a liability for the No Campaign. The more exposure he gets the more of a liability he becomes, and that must raise concerns for the No campaign.

He seems to be a good communicator and comes across well in conversation, but seems to have a tendency to be a bit economical with the truth.

In fact I may bookmark this page as I predict a major gaffe by Blair McDougall.... :rolleyes:

So essentially, the Unionists are saying that Spain will block EU membership in order to stoke fear. It was a long walk, but we got there eventually. :)

Well, they aren't. They are positing it as a possibility. It is a possibility, albeit a remote one.

And the SNP pretended for a while that Scotland would be a co-equal successor state, and would not have to apply for EU membership, which as we now know was lies.

Yes again, thanks for clarifying that I have never said Andy Murray is a Unionist.

Kudos for the climbdown.

So now I have clarified that, perhaps you could clarify why you felt that him living in London was relevant to the discussion?

So now I have clarified that, perhaps you could clarify why you felt that him living in London was relevant to the discussion?

So what? Does that mean he can't express an opinion? Or that he won't? You got awfully p***kly about this. Had a bad few weeks? :lol:

How the fek do you know where he'll be staying in say 5 years from now?

Maybe it would be favourable to stay in an independent Scotland for Tax purposes rather than rUK :rolleyes:

I don't really care what way any famous person will vote.

If they live here, they'll get one vote like everyone else. If they don't live here, obviously the are entitled to express an opinion but it's irrelevant.

I don't really care what way any famous person will vote.

If they live here, they'll get one vote like everyone else. If they don't live here, obviously the are entitled to express an opinion but it's irrelevant.

Quite. But Murray won't express an opinion. He's already stated that he has no wish to be used as a political tennisball by anyone.

In terms of what he has actually said though, it's perfectly reasonable :-

“You need to figure out what’s best for the country and then come to an opinion,” he said. “I want to read more about the issue. I don’t think you should judge the thing on emotion, but on what is best economically for Scotland. You don’t want to come to a snap decision and then see the country go tits up.”

“I am proud to be Scottish but I am also proud to be British. I don’t think there is any contradiction in that.”

This is one for Swampy if he logs on later - you said :- ""Scotland" doesn't have any waters, at all. It's all Westminster's. They can draw a maritime boundary in the shape of a cock and balls if they want to, with absolutely no comeback. Is that what you're saying or isn't it?"

I'm interested in what "comeback" you think there should be here, in relation to the UK's own subdivision of its own internal waters?

Are you, or are you now, saying that the UK doesn't have unfettered rights to subdivide its own internal waters as it sees fit?

Earlier on (post #12742) you conceded that Scotland probably did have the potential to succeed in going alone. You then tried to counter this by putting forward some drivel about breaking up the British family. I know you're trolling but it's still tedious to read such rubbish on a daily basis.

#

Your post offers no more than mine.

So what? Does that mean he can't express an opinion? Or that he won't? You got awfully p***kly about this. Had a bad few weeks? :lol:

I would be very surprised if he came out with an opinion, let's just say he did suport independence. I can already see him being branded anti english again etc...

Archived