Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An awe inspiring video that showcases the talent behind the No campaign.

Better Together. :lol:

What's wrong with that?

He has experience, spoke from the heart and was honest.

What more can anyone do?

Nice bloke,fair play to him.

Better Together.

Poor guy, clearly wasn't comfortable. Quite funny but it would be nice if we could refrain from making fun of ordinary folk like that. The politicians are fair game, right enough.

Question for Ad Lib btw, a few pages back you were talking about the VVD in Holland. I've got a mate over here at the moment who's a member of D66, and he described them to me as the Dutch version of the Lib Dems. Do you know anything about them?

It's from Better Together's own website. Who the hell edited that? It was edited in a way to make him look as foolish as possible. I was so sure it was someone in the YES campaign who knew the guy from work and thought they'd use him in a faux Better Together video.

http://www.bettertogether.net/pages/map

I also thought it was funny that they tried to have geographic representation where they could, but nearly the entire highlands is made up of Glaswegians.

Question for Ad Lib btw, a few pages back you were talking about the VVD in Holland. I've got a mate over here at the moment who's a member of D66, and he described them to me as the Dutch version of the Lib Dems. Do you know anything about them?

Yeah. The Netherlands is slightly odd given it has historically had two liberal parties. VVD were classical liberals whilst D66 were more what we might call social liberals. In the last few years, the VVD has probably moved more towards what you might think of in this country as moderate or liberal conservatism of David Cameron's ilk, with the exception being they're probably more pro-EU. Sadly, the VVD have been dragged socially away from liberalism on issues like immigration and drug laws, partly as a consequence of the particular coalitions that they were relying on prior to the last set of Dutch elections (needing Geert Wilders etc to secure a working majority).

Although I don't consider myself to be a liberal conservative, I would say I would probably find it a easier to work, politically with people of that inclination than I perhaps would those on the economic left or centre-left. The Lib Dems (indeed all UK major parties) are pretty broad coalitions compared to those in other parts of Europe, and you'll find people anywhere from the left extreme of D66 to those probably in the middle of VVD in the UK Lib Dems, though less of a genuine range within the Scottish Lib Dems, where they're probably more D66 aligned.

D66 and VVD are in the same European Parliamentary grouping, although that probably has its own dynamic anyway. Cameron, of course, isn't even part of the Conservative centrist grouping there because of his early leadership sop, but the VVD have never been part of that either, sticking with the Liberal Alliance. That said, it is interesting that David Cameron was one of the international leaders providing quite explicit support to Mark Rutte and the VVD at the time of the Dutch elections, and Rutte is aligned quite closely to Merkel and Cameron in being sceptical of a financial transactions tax.

Given we're all about to be swathed in uncertainty, I noticed this wee bit from the Scotsman:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/analysis-history-likely-to-repeat-itself-1-2991831

Labour prime minister Harold Wilson decided to hold a vote. It was a risky strategy; the opinion polls showed a solid 65-35 per cent lead for leaving.

This opposition was reversed during the campaign. In the end 67 per cent voted to stay in the EEC. Faced with the prospects of not having access to the Common Market and the risk that London would no longer be the financial capital of Europe, a majority of the voters opted for pragmatism at the expense of – what some might call – “swivel-eyed” romanticism.

1. 35% minority in the polls?

2. Said minority was wiped out during the campaign?

3. In a vote over the future of a union eh?

4. Ignoring “swivel-eyed” romanticism eh?

http://youtu.be/RxbAu3LphYM

Great to see young Scots stating their belief in the Union and for plenty of positive reasons.

Better Together.

The first girl in that video is on my journalism course at Stirling Uni. She is known as "Purple" as she always wears either a scarf or a top or hat that is, you guessed it, purple.

I shit you not, her hero is Margaret Thatcher. I'm not saying that to be funny; she actually told everyone that whilst almost in tears.

It's from Better Together's own website. Who the hell edited that? It was edited in a way to make him look as foolish as possible. I was so sure it was someone in the YES campaign who knew the guy from work and thought they'd use him in a faux Better Together video.

http://www.bettertogether.net/pages/map

I also thought it was funny that they tried to have geographic representation where they could, but nearly the entire highlands is made up of Glaswegians.

Ryan, student, Glasgow - "this video is private" - but you can see it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asD_fBJeEg4

The first girl in that video is on my journalism course at Stirling Uni. She is known as "Purple" as she always wears either a scarf or a top or hat that is, you guessed it, purple.

I shit you not, her hero is Margaret Thatcher. I'm not saying that to be funny; she actually told everyone that whilst almost in tears.

Well I don't agree with her hero,but what's your point?

She looks like she might be the daughter of first generation immagrants,well maybe,(yes i'm going by her colour and so my theory could be completely wrong,but also,as you've told us she is a Thatcherite, it perhaps adds to my theory,maybe you know :unsure2: ) my point is many immigrants were/are big fans of Thatcher eg maybe they wanted to start a small business and so the MT rhetoric was impressive.

She may of been brought up in a home where Mum and Dad often spoke of the need for hard work and you'll be awarded just as Thatcher says etc (just as MT herself was).

Not my cup of tea,but millions in GB voted for the MT way.

Sounds as if she may of been ridiculed and bullied for her beliefs.A 'fancy dressing Thatcherite' Unionist in Scotland would be a target for the right on cool bullies of the Nationalist campaign.I really get the impression lots of Unionists are just biding their time,slightly nervous of being 'shouted down' by nationalists if they offer their Unionist view,just waiting to tick the Unionist box come Sept 2014.

The Nationalists really feel they have the 'rock n roll' ground/vote.

There's a couple of posts recently from nationalists that suggest unless you've got the Hollywood production team in and a drunken Australian racist to play the main part you're not allowed to offer your opinion on the referendum on film.

Come Sept 2014,this kind of covert bullying will do the nationalist cause no favours whatsoever.

#shitbants

The UK is in such an awful mess apparently,that you could be forgiven in thinking if the Union survives the referendum (even though Scotland appears to be a lost soul in UK hades according to the nationalists!) it must be a very strong Union indeed!

If it goes the Union way despite the apparent 'horror' of the current UK then we can expect a very long wait before another independence referendum.

Certainly not in any P&B posters lifetimes.

Unless they intend to live for 200 or 300 years.

This referendum is a stiff test for the Union,if it pass' then Scotland will remain British for many many years.

PR disaster for Salmond there.

Why?

He is the first minister of Scotland, celebrating a scotsman win Wimbledon. Why are people so surprised to see him waving the flag of our nation.

Archived