Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that there should be a wee note at the bottom of the article saying who paid for it if it was paid for. Its not exactly dishonest as it is common practice but its not something im happy with for any side.

Of course, how that information was gathered now appears to be entirely irrelevant

Yep.

"I was asked to write a piece based on my constitutional expertise. I accepted fair payment for my work - as I, as a freelance academic and contributor, have every right to do. I would do the same if anyone else asked for a working day of my time. I had full editorial control and was not given any direction on what to say, neither by Yes Scotland nor by my Constitutional Commission colleagues.

"Although my position as Research Director of the Constitutional Commission was mentioned in the author bio, the article was written in a personal capacity. That said, there was nothing in the article that would compromise the Constitutional Commission's position, nor conflict with its charitable remit.

"Moreover, while my own preference for independence is a matter of public record - I've never been shy about it - the Constitutional Commission exists to provide well-researched information to the public about constitutional choices, and its membership contains divergent views on a range of constitutional questions, including the question of whether Scotland should be an independent state." - Dr. Bulmer.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7902-moves-to-smear-yes-scotland-underway-as-more-details-of-hacking-claims-emerge

How eager you are to accommodate Unionist smears.

I have no problem with him writing things on which he has detailed knowledge or expertise.

I have no problem with him accepting payment for freelance work.

I have no problem with him writing things in a personal capacity.

I have no qualms with the level of editorial freedom he was afforded.

I have no qualms with his often repeated and public position on independence (I share much of it).

My query, and it is just that, is why, if Yes Scotland were "paying for his time" in writing the article, that payment wasn't disclosed at the foot of the article in The Herald. It's that simple a question, really.

Yep.

I have no problem with him writing things on which he has detailed knowledge or expertise.

I have no problem with him accepting payment for freelance work.

I have no problem with him writing things in a personal capacity.

I have no qualms with the level of editorial freedom he was afforded.

I have no qualms with his often repeated and public position on independence (I share much of it).

My query, and it is just that, is why, if Yes Scotland were "paying for his time" in writing the article, that payment wasn't disclosed at the foot of the article in The Herald. It's that simple a question, really.

How often do they disclose these things in newspapers? Is it a regular occurence? I don't know - genuine question

In much the same way as the fact Bradley Manning broke the law doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the WikiLeak cables, the hacking issue doesn't mean we shouldn't question the failure to disclose YesScotland paying Elliot Bulmer to write an article in the Herald.

You mean Mrs Chelsea Manning? http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/22/bradley-manning-i-am-chelsea-manning-i-am-female/ He's going to be very popular on D-Wing...

Do as I say, not as I do :rolleyes:

Bullet point six is absurd. Blair McDougall makes absolutely no secret of his remuneration received by BetterTogether. Indeed he is disclosed as their campaign director whenever a blurb is attached to anything he writes.

And as for bullet point seven, precisely ONE click, on his name, reveals a web-page declaring him to be "director of the Better Together campaign".

He took time off doing his actual job to write a Herald puff-piece? Each to their own I suppose.

You'd cloister yourself in a bunker for two months if you thought you'd get a sniff of national publication.

Can somebody clear this up for me, why did Yes Scotland pay Bulmer a fee?

Because he asked for his expenses to be covered, which incidentally means it wasn't the article that he received payment for.

Archived