Parks & Recreation

yoda

BBC Four - in another stroke of genius it appears - are showing the first season of this just now. A bit of research shows it started in the US in 2009 so I guess I am late to the party?

Anyway, I think it's pretty good so far (4 episodes in). I've been needing a sitcom fix since The Thick Of It ended.

Been meaning to get into this for so long now, so was delighted when it came to BBC Four. Enjoyed it so far despite having always heard the first couple of seasons are a bit slow and that the show is one that takes a while to get going.

I watched the first few episodes a while back and was a bit underwhelmed. I want to keep going because I love the Ron Swanson character (from those episodes and clips I've seen). I've not finished 30 Rock or The US Office though and I found those more enjoyable.

Like a few others, it's definitely a show I've been wanting to get into for sometime, so with BBC4 having it, it's great that I don't have to go out of my way to watch.

For a tried and tested show that gets a lot of praise in the US, how it didn't get a slot on BBC1/2 ahead of such menial pish like Citizen Khan, I'll never comprehend.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2 started on fire last night! To hear it only gets better is very promising. Amy Poehler is brilliant, I've seen her in a few things before but never really appreciated just how funny she is until now.

132816384278083_animate.gif

Ron Swanson seems like a very real character, there must be thousands of Ron Swansons in American public office.

I quite like Amy Poehler's SNL stuff but she's a class above in this.

Edited by yoda

I love this. Couldn't stop laughing at that Ron Swanson line in the last episode (last one on BBC Four), he's a great character.

I have become infatuated with Rashida Jones. She's delightful.

I love this. Couldn't stop laughing at that Ron Swanson line in the last episode (last one on BBC Four), he's a great character.

I have become infatuated with Rashida Jones. She's delightful.

Me too, an absolute babe.

The programme is good also. Aziz Ansari is my favourite, I've like him since I first saw him in Scrubs.

Although I enjoyed the first season, I thought the first couple from season two were markedly better. In particular the quietly stoic way that Ron suffered his hernia was just marvellous. The whole thing's just really likeable.

Popular opinion seems to be that it gets better as it goes on, which bodes well.

Ron Swanson seems like a very real character, there must be thousands of Ron Swansons in American public office.

I quite like Amy Poehler's SNL stuff but she's a class above in this.

That whole sketch was absolutely genius.

Did anyone else clock the 'flipper and eve, not flipper and Steve' spray painted at the zoo? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Venezuela episode was a bit on the duff side. That's not to say that there wasn't the occasional funny moment, but it all seemed a bit too broad and over the top given the established tone of the show. That they attempted to derive so much of the humour from laughing at funny foreigners was a wee bit disappointing as well.

Thankfully the second episode was a return to form though, so hopefully it just proves to be a one off mis-step.

Watched the first season of this a couple of years ago when my flatmate was really into it. I thought it was OK, worth watching when looking for something to watch, but a bit like a poorer version of the US Office. Ron Swanson was a good character, but Aziz Ansari and Amy Poehler annoyed me. The latter seemed like a sub-par female version of Michael Scott. Not seen anything past the first season though, so if BBC 4 show the next season I might watch it.

Watched the first season of this a couple of years ago when my flatmate was really into it. I thought it was OK, worth watching when looking for something to watch, but a bit like a poorer version of the US Office. Ron Swanson was a good character, but Aziz Ansari and Amy Poehler annoyed me. The latter seemed like a sub-par female version of Michael Scott. Not seen anything past the first season though, so if BBC 4 show the next season I might watch it.

BBC 4 are now 8 episodes into season 2