Thatcher deid

A bit of education may give these people the right to pass comment. By the looks of things, education may be a foreign concept to you, but some of us actually know a wee bit.

Not that one is trying to defend the Tories education policy circa 1990

But it was Thatcher/Major's Royal Charter that turned no-hope Scottish Polytechnics into fully fledged Universities in 1992.

I presume the education you have received is in some way related to their HE policies.

Perhaps you are the one who needs to "know a wee bit"

She had the biggest set of **** of any British Prime Minister

I wouldn't go as far as to say I liked her but as a practicing Catholic Christian, I have to pray for the salvation of souls and certainly wouldn't say anything bad about people who can't defend themselves

Not that one is trying to defend the Tories education policy circa 1990

But it was Thatcher/Major's Royal Charter that turned no-hope Scottish Polytechnics into fully fledged Universities in 1992.

I presume the education you have received is in some way related to their HE policies.

Perhaps you are the one who needs to "know a wee bit"

Good for her/him...which was it?

Tony Blair was right. Education, education, education.

i was born in the 80s and grew up in motherwell.

obviously her policies had an impact on my life.

Bully for you.

I grew up in Muirhouse [Edinburgh] during the worst HIV/AIDS crisis in Western Europe and still managed to crack on nicely during the 80's and early 90's.

It was about showing initiative and guile back then rather than chip on the shoulder 'blame the Tories' fatalism.

We make our own opportunities in life.

Edited by Slavoj Žižek

Whether you agreed or disagreed with her politics, there's no question that Thatcher presided over one of the most difficult periods of British peacetime history. Structural economic chaos of the '70s, the death of the post-war consensus beginning, let's remember, *before* she took office, when Callaghan committed Labour to monetary controls, and increased global pressures: the plight of the most vulnerable cannot be said to be said to be solely of her making, independently of these conditions.

If the UK was to avoid terminal national decline, that old system needed wiped out. It took its causalties, and no government is perfect. Many things could and should have been done differently. That much is true. But you need only look at the modern world and to see that even the likes of China explicitly acknowledge the huge creative and innovative benefits of participating in a market in which you are competitive. Such a system, of a property owning democracy, can and does empower those across the spectrum to pass on a better legacy than they received, even if it has its blind spots.

Andrew Marr said a few years ago that we were, like it or not, rebel or not, the children of Margaret Thatcher. He was right. But we're not children any more. All of the children of Margaret Thatcher are now adults. Let's stop being the rebellious teenagers and use her passing as an opportunity to take responsibility for our own path in politics. We don't have to define ourselves as for or against her to take the right decisions for the 21st century. We live in a time where it is not just the UK that is in decline, but the traditional global dominance of Europe itself. We have to take control of our own political future and we do that best not by looking back, but by looking forward to the potential of a better tomorrow.

Was that a rallying cry? :lol:

I hear a lot of LibDems joined up because they wanted to conquer Thatcherism? How's that working out? :wacko:

Do you seriously think that concern about how policies affect other people should not affect ones own political perspective?

Way to parody Thatcherism man.

Cool story bro.

It is one thing to be personally laid off from Ravenscraig with a family and mortgage to support.

It is quite another to read about it in your Politics textbook @ Stow College.

Savvy?

She had the biggest set of bawz of any British Prime Minister

A lot of people who "have bawz" are usually complete simpletons. In fact, everyone on my Facebook who has come out with that shan line today is dumb as f**k too.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I liked her but as a practicing Catholic Christian, I have to pray for the salvation of souls and certainly wouldn't say anything bad about people who can't defend themselves

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

We shagged the Argies up the arse while you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye son.

How did you vote in 1987?

She won with poorly equipped troops in inadequite numbers. It was through good luck and the professionalism of these men that it resulted in victory. Don't forget it was through her decision to withdraw HMS Endurance the only naval presence in the area and a reduction of the already tiny Marine detatchment, that encouraged the Argentines to invade in the first place.

Bully for you.

I grew up in Muirhouse [Edinburgh] during the worst HIV/AIDS crisis in Western Europe and still managed to crack on nicely during the 80's and early 90's.

It was about showing initiative and guile back then rather than chip on the shoulder 'blame the Tories' fatalism.

We make our own opportunities in life.

Oh aye? Drug dealer were ye?

ian lang on the news there.

unbelievable that gimps like him and forsyth used to run things up here.

don't forget Malcolm Rifkind. And Nicky Fairbairn!

Thing is, objectionable policies aside they were far more capable politicos than most of what Labour have had then or since. Brown and Darling were about then. Robin Cook really the only credible one. As for the b team at Holyrood now? Jesus.

(clearly Fairbairn was a drunk eccentric oddball and an awful, if entertaining politician!)

She won with poorly equipped troops in inadequite numbers. It was through good luck and the professionalism of these men that it resulted in victory. Don't forget it was through her decision to withdraw HMS Endurance the only naval presence in the area and a reduction of the already tiny Marine detatchment, that encouraged the Argentines to invade in the first place.

Yup. It annoys me when politicians get praised for "winning the war", when in reality they have f**k all to do with it and often do more bad than good. It is soldiers on the frontline who "win wars", not c**ts like Thatcher and Churchill.