ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

9 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Are they not in the midst of looking for a TV deal?

Domestically, is there really a decent enough channel that would sign them up to be worth it? If Bravo was still around it would of fitted in perfectly. The best I could think of would be the Horror Channel. It's on Freeview & most Sky/Virgin packages. Similar reach that Challenge has, but would fit the 18+ image of ICW.

I'm sure on a recent podcast said they were talking with BBC and Channel 4. Also I believe there's a space free on Challenge now. Maybe toning it down slightly to make it more TV friendly for advertisers?

Edit - He may have said STV and Channel 4.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

But you've already got TNA and WWE catering for the PG-13 type audience. They have the biggest budgets, and can apply the best production values and attract the best wrestlers. The whole point of ICW (in my mind) was that it catered for the more mature audience - similar to the original ECW. 

It's not like I want to see guys stabbing each other or setting people on fire. But something a wee bit edgier that differentiates from what's out there at the moment. Channel 4 ran quite a few PPVs during the Attitude era that were very successful... e.g. the Royal Rumble where HHH got busted wide open and Mae Young released her puppies (not advocating that either tbh). There were quite a few complaints, admittedly, but mostly from parents who let their children watch in the mistaken belief that it was the same product that was getting pumped out in the late Eighties. 

I would of suggested Challenge as an option if they were still invested in British wrestling. Pretty sure they dropped WrestleTalk and the round up show a while ago. Now they've dropped TNA. So it doesn't look like they still have an interest in the wrestling business.

If you'd suggested terrestrial tv to me as being a realistic option. First thought would of been Channel 5. Once upon a time they had WCW Worldwide and as a channel they don't have a ton of original programming. Could slot ICW in late night and it wouldn't shock anyone.

Channel 4 had their WWE experiment with Heat and PPVs. Think it was over before Sky shored up the WWE entirely. Even then I hated when they had the PPVs as they included commercial breaks (not a problem for a TV show admittedly). However i'm sure they cut out all hardcore elements like blood and chair shots. BBC/ITV/STV is like shooting for the moon.

Challenge would work well IMO. Actually quite interested to see where the storyline go next. Bram vs Jester on Sunday,so assume Jester is going full face mode. Could be good. What won't be good is the godfather and 14 year olds at ICW events. What are they thinking on both!

Edited by cb_diamond

Agree that BBC / ITV are unlikely, although BBC have had a couple of documentaries about ICW which proved very popular and certainly had a bit of blood and colourful language. 

Channel 4 definitely didn't censor out anything out their PPV's as far as I can remember (which is why there was a bit of a furore after the Royal Rumble). What both Channel 4 and Channel 5 is censor chair shots out the teatime shows... Channel 4 opted for skipping the VT just before the connection... Channel 5 went for the hilarious addition of Batmaneseque "Kapows" over the offending part of the screen. I'm sure both were equally successful in teaching children of the dangers of hitting people with chairs. 

Aye, I think that was the only bit they censored (according to FairWeatherFan's link). 

Forgot to mention that after ITV had American Wrestling post World of Sport. It was late-night NWA wrestling in the early nineties. I remember on UTV in the early hours, we were treated to Tour of Duty, Prisoner Cell Block H, Wrestling and then a "Rough Tough and Sexy" film.. Didn't get to my bed till 5am some nights. #mental

It was pretty tame stuff if I recall. Although you did get people like Mean Mark Callous (Undertaker) and Cactus Jack, they were obviously keeping a lid on things. 

14 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Bigger show = bigger audience I assume. But I don't know if reducing the age by two years really makes that much of a difference.

They 16 thing only came for the hydro on Sunday for the first time. Seems a strange move given the way they have positioned themselves as an over 18s promotion.  Kids at the shows would be rubbish. Mainly on account of how much of pain in the arse huge swathes often crowd are just now without even younger more pain in the arse-ish elements!

Edit to add: that's before you even talk about the toning down that would have to happen!

Edited by cb_diamond

5 hours ago, ShinobiDandy said:

Where is the over 14s thing coming from? I checked TM this morning for F&L X and its still showing 18+ for standing, 16+ for seating and the FCs/Square Go in Newcastle is 18+??

The pre-sale information on Ticketmaster was for over 14s. Here's hoping it's just been a mistake then.

On another ironic note, Renfrew was on the facebook the other day saying the following "This page isn't gumtree or eBay, selling ICW tickets that have sold out cool, looking for tickets to sold out shows, cool, but it's not turning into a buy/sell site". 2 days later he's on punting his own gear from his online shop! :lol::lol: He's some boy!

Edited by cb_diamond

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The pre-sale information on Ticketmaster was for over 14s. Here's hoping it's just been a mistake then.

On another ironic note, Renfrew was on the facebook the other day saying the following "This page isn't gumtree or eBay, selling ICW tickets that have sold out cool, looking for tickets to sold out shows, cool, but it's not turning into a buy/sell site". 2 days later he's on punting his own gear from his online shop! :lol::lol: He's some boy!

Even the replies to that post. 

image.jpeg