ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

On 6 November 2016 at 16:38, Randy Giles said:

. I can see the heels winning the other matches.

Aw I hope so, if label lose I'll be raging lol. Although I thought seven/wolfgang would be first half main event (then take the cage down) then 8 man the main event.......If wolfie wins label loses and if seven wins label wins. Just my thought!

Is this coming from the post he made on Facebook? If so, then I'm not sure that he's out. Aaron Echo vs. Ravie Davie is just asking for Kenny Williams to come down and take his shot. Either that or they get wiped out by someone else, don't have Kenny Williams make an appearance, and then when they DO need a sixth man, Kenny Williams is there at the clinch.

Either way, I think Williams is in that match, and he's winning it.

I think they'll put Echo in it, he's been getting somewhat of a solo push on Fight Club (maybe even teasing a face turn) also wouldn't be stunned to see Davie get a spot though. He went down surprisingly well at Bristol which is a good marker that he's getting over outwith a Scottish audience with that gimmick.

Going to watch the Fear and Loathings from the 2012 edition since those are the ones that are on the On Demand. So it's Fear and Loathing V at the Classic Grand.

Opens with STI vs. Fight Club vs. The Bucky Boys vs. The Coffey Brothers for the ICW tag team champs. And it's real fun Scramble style stuff with all eight men interchanging through the match and throwing out the big spots. It also goes into absurdity with some baws oot spots coming from Davey Boy and Kid Fite. The final stretch stuff is especially brilliant to watch. The action just keeps moving constantly and gets things going well. If I remember rightly though, things are going to get considerably worse from here.

It's onto April Davids vs. Kay Lee Ray which is surprisingly one sided in favour of April Davids. This basically sees Davids kick the shit out of Kay Lee Ray for the whole match before Carmel interferes. What makes this even weirder is that we don't really see Davids in ICW again. An odd match here. Credit for effort to both though as Kay Lee Ray bumped like a fucking maniac and did some crazy shit while Davids busted out all sorts of brutal stuff. The crowd didn't care though, and it was two one sided to be really engaging.

It's onto Christopher vs. Chris Renfrew which was a rivalry that went on for a while, but on the previous show, the BT Gunn thing finally kicked off for Renfrew, so I'm pretty sure this was the blowoff to their issues. They always had Christopher being a tough b*****d who took pretty hellish beatings from bigger guys and never backed down. A good non-coward heel basically. This was much of the same. The beating was a lot of fun though, as it was just huge power moves and brutal strikes. Again though, much of it was one sided and not really that engaging as a result. Suppose it had to be given that 1) Renfrew was going into a bit of a game changing storyline for both him and ICW in general and 2) he got BT Gunn's help in the end.

We close the half with Mikey Whiplash vs. Grado, the first of many battles between the two. In an odd opening, Jam comes out dressed as Whiplash to distract Grado. But Whiplash takes ages getting to the ring through the crowd, so it makes no difference, and Grado attacks him on the floor. The match itself is FAR too long. Too much deadwood in there. If they knocked a lot off of this, it could have been a lot better. It was the first real serious match Grado had, with a couple of minor incidents that weren't. Pretty disappointing stuff between the two and probably the worst of the big matches that they had. Not to say that it's bad. It certainly isn't. It just isn't that great either.

TJ Rage vs. Scott Maverick doesn't happen thanks to the Renfrew/Gunn thing taking over and gives us the terrific segment of BT Gunn cutting his own hair to the audible horror of the fans, so we end up getting Jamie Feerick vs. Jack Jester which basically gives Jack Jester something to do since he missed the wXw show he was supposed to be at. So naturally he just hands out a beating to Feerick and wins the match rather comfortably in the end. Which is fine, but given the list of one sided and nothing matches that have been on the show, it just amounts to something else that makes the show a bit of a chore to sit through for a second time.

Main event was Red Lightning (c) vs. Noam Dar vs. Lionheart vs. Wolfgang for the ICW title. This is thankfully a worthy main event. It seems to go through three stages. The first being a four way sprint with Noam going out. The second being a cracking exchange between Wolfgang and Lionheart which had the fans right into it. Then we have the third act with Lightning and Wolfgang where the fans are absolutely desperate for Wolfgang to take the title leading to a pretty dramatic final stretch. It's actually a bit better than I remember it being and it's a cracking way to close a show.

OVERALL

This show is a hell of a chore to get through. It's basically a lot of midcard nothing for too much of it. It's bookended by two terrific matches though, and there is a lot to like in Grado/Whiplash, even if it's far too long for what it is. I'm not sure I can recommend sitting through this show in good conscience. Thankfully the other FNL shows are considerably better.

Whatever happened to Christopher anyway? The teen sensation gimmick was good fun and I remember how it drew great heat. Then I didn't go to a show for about 4 months and he was replaced by Joe Hendry and Kenny Williams as part of James R. Kennedys stable.

He's he been repackaged as someone else and I'm being daft in not seeing it?

16 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Going to Fear & Loathing this Sunday and it is going to be my first show. Doors open at 6pm, I was wondering what time do you think the show itself will start? Also any guesses when it's likely to finish?

Thanks.

I reckon it'll be about 19.00 or 19.30. It will finish before 23.00.