ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

Saw that earlier. You're looking for a name like Pete Dunne, Matt Riddle, Ospreay or Ricochet that's got a buzz about them and is at the top of their craft. Basically the next Devitt or Nakamura, the top indie names who are due an NXT call up and push. Super Crazy fs.

ICW is one of the biggest indies in the world.

Some promotion in Motherwell has a ridiculous line up later this month with Scurll, Ospreay and Riddle all booked along with the best Scotland has to offer (including Grado, who hasn't worked for ICW since the Hydro).

Meanwhile ICW are booking one of the Mexicools and giving us Drew vs Jester part 80.

I've been to one ICW show in the last 11 months and I just ended up getting blootered anyway. Can't see it changing when others are giving me a more attractive product.

The attitude era rip off and ECW wankfest works for a certain portion of the fanbase but when I got into it it was because the in ring product was excellent and the entrances and promos were a good laugh.

I'm not sure if guys like the old ECW guys have the same power as they used to. It used to work pretty well but the fanbase has changed a fair bit since then. They've got War Machine at the Barras which is a far better import and they'll impress people.

Jester vs Drew has happened one on one twice in the last three years btw, with one of those being a brawl that went nowhere. There's matches that are overdone but that certainly isn't one of them.

Jester vs Drew has happened one on one twice in the last three years btw, with one of those being a brawl that went nowhere. There's matches that are overdone but that certainly isn't one of them.

Fair enough, how much of the time since Drew came back have they spent feuding? And the entirety of the rest of that period they were stablemates. Plenty they could be doing with Drew given he's legitimately one of the best wrestlers in the world.

20 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Some promotion in Motherwell has a ridiculous line up later this month with Scurll, Ospreay and Riddle all booked along with the best Scotland has to offer (including Grado, who hasn't worked for ICW since the Hydro).

Meanwhile ICW are booking one of the Mexicools and giving us Drew vs Jester part 80.

I've been to one ICW show in the last 11 months and I just ended up getting blootered anyway. Can't see it changing when others are giving me a more attractive product.

The attitude era rip off and ECW wankfest works for a certain portion of the fanbase but when I got into it it was because the in ring product was excellent and the entrances and promos were a good laugh.

The attitude era and ecw stuff work to a point, but its had its time, cause so many of the guys from that era are physically fucked now and that patter has been done to death.

I am just so fed up with it now. Whiney Chris Renfrew and his stupid wee soapdodging virgin fan club, the same dull c***s clogging every show like Jester and Blaze. A lot of the mainstays who have other commitments now have been replaced by dross from the GPWA like ravie davie, the instagram mob and sam barbour. 

ICW for me was much of the things you say, plus it was what it was, a tenner a ticket, drinking a half bee in the queue outside Maryhill CC a good laugh with your mates and a decent night. When they start putting the prices up then the product is open to more scrutiny and since Fear and Loathing at the SECC its just been an absolute mess.

It's hard to be optimistic about it just now, IMO.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

The attitude era and ecw stuff work to a point, but its had its time, cause so many of the guys from that era are physically fucked now and that patter has been done to death.

I am just so fed up with it now. Whiney Chris Renfrew and his stupid wee soapdodging virgin fan club, the same dull c***s clogging every show like Jester and Blaze. A lot of the mainstays who have other commitments now have been replaced by dross from the GPWA like ravie davie, the instagram mob and sam barbour. 

ICW for me was much of the things you say, plus it was what it was, a tenner a ticket, drinking a half bee in the queue outside Maryhill CC a good laugh with your mates and a decent night. When they start putting the prices up then the product is open to more scrutiny and since Fear and Loathing at the SECC its just been an absolute mess.

It's hard to be optimistic about it just now, IMO.

There's a lot of unfortunate truths in there. The quality in depth of the regular roster has went steadily down over the past few years, while at the same time the ticket prices have went up across the board. That's never a good thing and could be telling come November. The quality of imports has stayed VERY variable and people like super crazy aren't helping that. My biggest issue is probably down to how they are using the available British wrestlers. In terms of promotion size ICW are top of the tree in the UK. That's not even an arguable concept but from the available talent pool they're not using the very top guys regularly, if at all. Even when they do, it could be so much better. Pete Dunne being a great example. Easily the hottest British free agent going just now, finally does ICW dates, first thing advertised Dunne vs Renfrew. That sums it up. Now the Renfrew positioning is nowhere near as unbearable as it was, but he's still the WCW Kevin Nash of ICW. I agree with the comment about Blaze and would add Joe Coffey in, who they missed the boat with so many times there isn't even a boat anymore. Ditto Ravie Davie, he's never going to do a 'grado' and I'll happily say that not a penny of the hundreds of quid I spend a year on ICW is because he's anywhere near a card.

It's not all negative though. The match quality can still be cracking and if they get a good card together (last years Shugs being a good example) it's still a belting night out. They have lost their way since the SECC though. It's never got back to that place. Which is a shame.

Edited by cb_diamond