The Gretna dream team Wadsworth & Irons show up at Celtic Nation

NE63 exile

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was always going to end badly English non-league football is littered with clubs who have been sugar daddies play things. At least at Colne and Gretna 'the dream' lasted for a few seasons this one seems to be ending much quicker.

Your right there. The Chairman who also founded the club has just walked.

http://www.celticnation.com/#!club-statement/crib

Apparently Colin McMenamin was told he was being released by voicemail from the Chairman (who resigned yesterday) along with a number of players without the manager knowing. Sounds as though they are slashing the budget next season.

Looks like Willie McStay is in charge next season and Frank Lynch is still providing financial backing:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/celtic-nation/celtic-nation-supremo-backs-mcstay-as-chairman-quits-1.1140732

Although this bit suggests he may be reigning in his ambitions a bit:

Lynch said: “It is a crazy little story but it happens to be true. I couldn’t have imagined we would get to where we are now. We feel we have been a force for good. It is a business and it needs to grow, and we are working towards sustainability.

How have Celtic Nation done since he got involved aside from the cup win? I know they didn't get promotion last season (which is amusing) but what happened in the other years.

Surely it'd make sense for these jokers to move to some town just over the Scottish border and apply for the Lowland League. If they were full time they could probably get to the Championship within five years.

What I don't get is that like Gretna, Celtic Nation are based in a pretty remote backwater of the Country...........if I was going to spunk millions away on trying to build a football destiny from a relative minnow I'd probably look at a Club like Stirling which at least has a decent catchment area of potential fans.

Aye, rugby fans. ;)

When I first moved over here a colleague and good friend took me along to Forthbank quite a few times, and they were First Division back then, yet still barely scraped 1,000.

I'm sure if someone started spunking millions at them and they started winning the crowds would increase.......point I was making is that it's a town/small city centrally located as opposed to a village like Gretna or wherever Celtic Nation are from!

Archived