Ric

Just coming out of beta is War Thunder. Not sure if anyone has played it yet but it's a F2P (although not, it seems, P2W) MMO flight sim. I say flight sim as there are ground forces and I've got a feeling the game will be expanded to allow you to control those too. However for now, and for the beta, it's just planes. Here's the official trailer..

For someone who hasn't played many flight sims (my first and last was Flight Path 737 on the C64 - retro!) I am pretty impressed. The graphics are surprisingly decent considering the amount on screen. Instead of having a flat bitmap rendered ground they've gone for the full 3D so you can literally fly between the trees on the ground (you'll most likely die, but it's possible). The gameplay itself seems a little arcadey, and I say that because I was able to fly the thing using my XBox controller easily, but that doesn't detract from it.

The setup reminds me of World of Tanks, in the same "tree progression" in terms of the planes you are able to fly. Basically you start off with a shitty biplane from the 30's but it's possible (through in game XP, although no doubt "in game credits" will help with that) to build up to really beefy planes such as heavy WW2 bombers. What's nice is that not only do you get an online MP game there are also SP missions for up to 6 players. I've not tried the missions yet, as most need a certain level of plane (ie: Spitfire for the Battle of Britain).

* Just in case anyone is wondering; F2P - Free to Play, P2W - Pay to Win, MMO - Massive Multiplayer Online.

Surprised more people haven't commented on this thread. War Thunder is pretty deep and can look very (very) pretty at times.

After playing it a little it seems that there are 3 levels of difficulty; Arcade, Historical, Real. Arcade is pretty much as you would expect it. The controls are lightweight, most things are done for you and the flight model is very basic. Historical means having to control some of your planes more advanced features (like landing gear or flaps) and Real is rock hard as it brings with it the most realists flight model where sidewinds and overloading the engine are common problems.

Each map is pretty big and has certain objectives (normally 3 pronged; destroy enemy planes, ground troops, base). At most each map will last 30 minutes and you have 3 slots (to begin with) which you can fill with different planes (or the same one should you wish). Once you have destroyed all 3 of your planes you will need to sit out the rest of the battle. Completing battlers and destroying targets provide you with XP and in game credits.

What is quite fun is the mix of planes you use. For example I have the Belnheim Mk4 in one of my slots, which is a bomber, so part of my game tends to be getting to a height above the dogfighting and doing high altitude bombing runs on ground targets. If I get taken out, I'll switch to one of my fighters then dogfight the rest of the map.

The XP and in game credits (there are, as will all other F2P games, a micro transaction element and you can by real world credits), are the key to improving your planes however it's not the only thing, as once you have enough credit to buy a plane you need to have a valid rank within that airforce to fly it. For example a spitfire needs rank 4 in the RAF. Your ranks slowly increases as you play the game.

In the British tree alone there must be about 20-30 odd planes, add to this the German, American, Russian and Japanese aircraft, the factor in the ground and sea forces (which aren't enabled in the Beta) then you are looking at a very fucking big game and I've not even touched on the side missions, the training elements or free flight as these are all available too.

The nights in the camper van must fly* by.

*Pun intended.

Not really sure why you and SSI are trolling on a games thread in the games forum.

Not really sure why you and SSI are trolling on a games thread in the games forum.

You seem rather upset Ric.

:(

• 5 months later...

My nephew left this on my laptop after a babysitting about a month ago.

I wasn't that interested when he was playing it but when he went home I had a wee go and....

I think you know a game is good when it makes you angry when you lose.

It's tough to start off with but the satisfaction you get with your first kill is immense. In fact the satisfaction you get with any kill is immense. The graphics are great and it runs smooth on my laptop on max settings even though I only have a medium level graphics card. It's also quite easy to use the mouse and keyboard set up once you get used to it. It's free to play but I've actually spent some money on it on premium aircraft.

Arcade mode is a lot of fun, funnily enough I think the lower levels are better, once you get higher up you have to fly more like a 'real' pilot to survive and take it a bit more seriously. I've not played Historical or Real, that's for the hardcore types.

Probably the best free to play game kicking around at the moment. Love my spitfires they rip through pretty much anything. Not played this in a wee while but seeing this thread has made me want to head back on.

• 3 weeks later...

war thunder is the daddy. enough said . ;)

makes world of war planes look and feel pathetic. I played wowp from closed beta and thought it was a decent game like until i met this daddy. I was also a bit of a world of tanks freak along with quake live but iv not touched any of them since i started playing this. Alot of people who haven't played it seem to knock it without giving it a shot aswell.

Also ground forces is coming up to closed beta with tanks that make world of tanks look amateurish to say the least. :)

I haven't played a lot of this recently, I did go through a phase of it, I know the land forces are due soon and I am not sure how that will affect the balance, but I might go back to it when they are added.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else getting killed by impossible shots? I seem to get killed by shots that have travelled through buildings or have landed nowhere near my tank.

The game requirements from steam are

MINIMUM:

• OS: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7, Windows 8
  • Processor: 2,2 GHz
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Radeon X26XX / GeForce 7800 GT
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Dual-Core 2,4 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 460 or higher, AMD Radeon 55XX series or higher
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 11 GB available space

so it looks like you pass on the processor and memory but not sure about the graphics. But as it is a free game i would download it and see if it works.

Archived