Dundee United 2013/14 Season

OK, so I am bored at dinner time reading the footie gossip, saw this on the SPL Gossip Board apparantly from the Record....

Dundee manager John Brown has warned other managers to be wary of signing goalkeeper Rab Douglas, who he branded a liar. (Daily Record)

I am pretty sure Douglas was a good and committed player for Dundee, WTF ? surely this wasn't printed.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the BBC's footie gossip today :-

The agent of Dundee United striker Johnny Russell says Celtic could still scupper Derby's move for the striker. The Championship side have had a £700,000 bid accepted for the 23-year-old but he has not yet signed a contract.

Viola still desperate to squeeze another £1 out of Russell - if he hadn't been such a pr*ck and seen the sense of Russell signing a contract extension at Utd both parties (Russell and Utd) would have got a better deal in the long run. Couldn't give a toss if Viola would get more or not. Pretty sure Celtic no-where in this, haven't heard of them seriously considering a bid through this whole saga.

Maybe Celtic away to swoop in with a cool £1M

I'm not sure that Russell would get a better deal if he'd signed a new contract. Obviously it would depend on the terms of that contract but his bargaining power would be reduced if he had longer left on his contract. Buying clubs have a finite budget, if they can get a player for a lower fee it makes it more affordable to offer higher wages.

Jim Spence just has been on Sportsound giving out a few more details about the possible Goodwillie loan deal. Goodwillie is keen to come back to us but, despite the fact we're "pushing the boat out" to get him, how much of his wages Blackburn will still have to pay is still an issue of contention for them. Blackpool don't seem to be as keen on taking him on loan and Goodwillie doesn't apparently want to go there either but there are other championship teams watching to see how this ends up.

It's also only going to be a loan until christmas according to Spence. I can't see this deal going through tbh.

Bowyer rejects Dundee United's loan offer for Goodwillie, saying it was not a good enough offer and others are intrested,as I said a poor PR stunt.

In many ways I am actually glad this is not happening. I have never liked loan signings, because although they might provide a short term boost, that's all it is, a very brief set of appearances, then what? Would much rather us invest money in players that will be at the club for a longer period of time, who then might have some sell on value down the line. Never a massive fan of players returning to old clubs, never as good the second time round (generally)

In many ways I am actually glad this is not happening. I have never liked loan signings, because although they might provide a short term boost, that's all it is, a very brief set of appearances, then what? Would much rather us invest money in players that will be at the club for a longer period of time, who then might have some sell on value down the line. Never a massive fan of players returning to old clubs, never as good the second time round (generally)

I kinda agree with what you've said, but with Russell and Daly (and yes, we'd probably seen the best of him) we're short again up front. And with notably less proven quality than last season. Goodie IS a proven SPL striker. Gauld has potential sure, but he's 17. Graham could be a gem or could be gash. Gardyne can play up top and may get more of a chance and Dow looks to be out the door.

Goodie needs to screw the nut or he'll drift from club to club and down the leagues like Franny Jeffers. It could have been beneficial to both parties.

How young can our side get? It was 23 or something last year ffs. We desperately need a bit of experience AND leadership with Daly and Willo away.

I kinda agree with what you've said, but with Russell and Daly (and yes, we'd probably seen the best of him) we're short again up front. And with notably less proven quality than last season. Goodie IS a proven SPL striker. Gauld has potential sure, but he's 17. Graham could be a gem or could be gash. Gardyne can play up top and may get more of a chance and Dow looks to be out the door.

Goodie needs to screw the nut or he'll drift from club to club and down the leagues like Franny Jeffers. It could have been beneficial to both parties.

How young can our side get? It was 23 or something last year ffs. We desperately need a bit of experience AND leadership with Daly and Willo away.

The likes of Dillon and Rankin are going to be vital for us next season. They are going to have to really our young squad at times next season and use their experience to lead the squad, especially as Dillon will likely be captain next season?

It would be handy if Rankin could re-capture his form from the 2011/2012 season.

As for the Goodwillie loan deal being rejected, I'm disapointed but not surprised. Like Stumigoo I'm normally wary of the prospect of players returning to their old clubs, but I did feel confident that Goodwillie could have done a good job for us on loan, especially as it was being said he wanted to be here.

The likes of Dillon and Rankin are going to be vital for us next season. They are going to have to really our young squad at times next season and use their experience to lead the squad, especially as Dillon will likely be captain next season?

It would be handy if Rankin could re-capture his form from the 2011/2012 season.

As for the Goodwillie loan deal being rejected, I'm disapointed but not surprised. Like Stumigoo I'm normally wary of the prospect of players returning to their old clubs, but I did feel confident that Goodwillie could have done a good job for us on loan, especially as it was being said he wanted to be here.

i already have rankin pencilled in as this seasons scapegoat/hate figure. he was fucking mince last year

i already have rankin pencilled in as this seasons scapegoat/hate figure. he was fucking mince last year

Nah, you're grossly overstating that. He didn't hit the heights of the previous season but he was somewhere between decent and good in every game he played.

Nah, you're grossly overstating that. He didn't hit the heights of the previous season but he was somewhere between decent and good in every game he played.

Can't agree with you there. I'm struggling to remember a game where I thought afterwards that he was really good. I wouldn't go as far as "mince" but I thought he was generally poor, and on some occasions he was anonymous. He strikes me as the sort of guy who has the character to push himself and rediscover the form of his first season with us.

Can't agree with you there. I'm struggling to remember a game where I thought afterwards that he was really good. I wouldn't go as far as "mince" but I thought he was generally poor, and on some occasions he was anonymous. He strikes me as the sort of guy who has the character to push himself and rediscover the form of his first season with us.

I can't recall a single game in which he was poor, unlike several of his colleagues. He wasn't terrific very often last season, unlike his first season but for our colleague above to suggest he was mince is ... mince.

i thought his passing was somewhere between slack and attrocious,whole games seemed to pass him by and his shooting was awful.

i dont want to not like him.he was my poty seasn before last and i couldnt understqnd why hibs didnt play him.he needs to get back to that level again

i thought his passing was somewhere between slack and attrocious,whole games seemed to pass him by and his shooting was awful.

i dont want to not like him.he was my poty seasn before last and i couldnt understqnd why hibs didnt play him.he needs to get back to that level again

Sorry, I'm not having it. He wasn't nearly as dynamic last season and didn't impose himself on games but there was nothing wrong with his passing. I'd be surprised if anyone at the club had a significantly better pass completion than Rankin.

The quality of his shooting was absolutely no issue for me last season. Frankly the only problem I had with him last season with regards to his shooting is that he wasn't doing enough of it. However if what Gibby82 said is true and that he was playing through an undiagnosed injury then it would explain why he was so reluctant to smash shots from long distance as he did in the previous season.

The fact that his only two goals this season came from close range suggests to me that is the case. I think most of us are just little disappointed with Rankin this season. I never really felt he was out right bad in games, but also, even at his best he never really shone through in many games either.

Rankin was definitely a disappointment last season, but perhaps only in comparison to his excellent first season. If he continues last season's form into the new season then hopefully we'll have someone with more impact to take his place.

Spoke to steven thompson in the ferry last night says utd are doing their best to sign goodie

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Which is probably what he would tell any fan asking him about it.

Archived