Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Is anyone else a bit uneasy about the age of the players were looking at? Sutton, Neilsen,McManus,Vigurs and Lawson are all late 20s/early 30s. Add that to Ramsden, Lasley, Hammell and (hopefully) Mcfadden, then weve got a squad that will all be past their best at the same time. Dont get me wrong Id be delighted if we pull them off, but I dont want another summer like this in 2 years time where we need to replace the whole team. Its probably just me being paranoid though. :lol:

that is mccall's style.

the only young or youngish players he has signed have been ojamaa and law plus gunning on loan.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's also handed long term contracts to Cummins, ZFA, Carswell, Moore and McHugh all 21 or under. Also offered a new deal to Kerr as well. He's also stated he's a big fan of Lee Erwin and he was on the cusp of the 1st team last season until he was injured playing for the U'20's. That's potentially 7 players who'll help make up our squad next season under the age of 21. And Hutch if he's still here is only 22.

It's no real surprise he wants to add some experience to the squad to supplement our own youngsters.

Also a bit harsh to say Vigurs is in his late 20's, he's only 25! Nielsen's only 26 which is also still fairly young for a keeper.

I have faith in McCall to get the right blend of youth and experience.

he was pish in the run up to the final which led to mccall playing hammell in midfield.

Maurice Ross was going to start at right back but got injured meaning Hateley had to play right back because McCall didn't trust Saunders which lead to the bizarre decision to play Hammell in midfield instead of playing Saunders at RB and dropping Gunning.

That whole run of games up to the final is a disaster. McCall fucked up by playing too many line ups and I don't know how he talked himself into Hammell in midfield. I am still bitter, the most important game in the last 20 years and we were experimenting. It is why I don't totally trust McCall. Even in the last Euro campaign he is starting Omar Daly, just fucking awful.

I am going to be pissed off if we don't have some young players next season looking to prove themselves at Motherwell. Guys in the Humphrey, Ojamaa, Hateley, Law, Jennings and Coke mold. Signing experienced players is alright but as good as Vigurs and Lawson are, possible one season wonders at SPL level, I need guys who are hungry to be professional footballers at a higher level. I don't want players who will peak in their careers playing at Motherwell.

I am going to be pissed off if we don't have some young players next season looking to prove themselves at Motherwell. Guys in the Humphrey, Ojamaa, Hateley, Law, Jennings and Coke mold. Signing experienced players is alright but as good as Vigurs and Lawson are, possible one season wonders at SPL level, I need guys who are hungry to be professional footballers at a higher level. I don't want players who will peak in their careers playing at Motherwell.

+1 on that

Is that not why we have Cummins, Zaine, Carswell, Moore and McHugh coming into the first team squad? We need some experience, I think our defence in particular misses the experience of someone in the Craggs mould an old head who can support and develop the young guys.

[quote name="Casagolda" post="7476584" timestamp="137228081

Also a bit harsh to say Vigurs is in his late 20's, he's only 25! Nielsen's only 26 which is also still fairly young for a keeper.

. Wow, cant believe Nielsens that young, it seems like ages since he was here! I honestly thought Vigurs was about 30, must be getting mixed up with somebody else.

He played against Hibs when they best us early in the season and he was caught lacking by Griffiths numerous times. It became a common theme in any highlights I saw.

I was at the Aberdeen game around Xmas and neither Ramsden or Kerr looked too clever (although I'm prepared to give Ramsden a break as I think he went off injured at half time).

The point is though, why have so many defenders in what is a normally small squad?

• Hutchinson
  • Ramsden
  • Cummins
  • Hammel
  • ZFA
  • Kerr (TBC)
  • McManus (TBC)
  • Hately (TBC)
  • Plus U20s

If Ramsden is to play at full-back then surely Saunders was a better bet on a 1 year deal? Cheaper anyway.

Saunders was one of the higher earners at the club and his role in the squad didn't match his wage. I'm sure he'll go on to have a successful career elsewhere.

That whole run of games up to the final is a disaster. McCall fucked up by playing too many line ups and I don't know how he talked himself into Hammell in midfield. I am still bitter, the most important game in the last 20 years and we were experimenting. It is why I don't totally trust McCall. Even in the last Euro campaign he is starting Omar Daly, just fucking awful.

I think there is a reason he is being overlooked for other jobs, and that may be it.

I hope I'm wrong but this season is really important for McCall. He could easily crash and burn if he signs the wrong players and leaves his team selection compromised all season. And maybe take the European games a bit more seriously McCall eh? Make an effort for those travelling all that way for away ties or paying premium gate prices for home ties.

Sadly I think Hateley, Humphrey, SPFA player of the year Michael Higdon & Faddy will all leave as well as obviously Randolph and Law.

That's Higdon and Hateley gone as well, just Faddy left to go. I expected it but I'd hoped I'd be wrong.

Can't complain about either of them going, both been excellent servants and you can't grumble at them for wanting to move on. Higdon especially at 29 will want to cash in on the season of his life so best of luck to him. Certainly deserves his move, 43 goals in just 83 games is just a phenomenal record . And Tom Hateley, well he get's a lot of abuse for some unknown reason but he's been a very consistent performer for Motherwell over the last 4 years and he's barely missed a match. His late goals in Odense and Paisley will also live long in the memory.

Anyway McCall is hoping to add five more players to the squad, one of them being John Sutton. Hopefully we see some new faces arrive soon.

That's Higdon and Hateley gone as well, just Faddy left to go. I expected it but I'd hoped I'd be wrong.

Can't complain about either of them going, both been excellent servants and you can't grumble at them for wanting to move on. Higdon especially at 29 will want to cash in on the season of his life so best of luck to him. Certainly deserves his move, 43 goals in just 83 games is just a phenomenal record . And Tom Hateley, well he get's a lot of abuse for some unknown reason but he's been a very consistent performer for Motherwell over the last 4 years and he's barely missed a match. His late goals in Odense and Paisley will also live long in the memory.

Anyway McCall is hoping to add five more players to the squad, one of them being John Sutton. Hopefully we see some new faces arrive soon.

"James isn't in with us today," said the Motherwell boss. "I don't even know if he is still on holiday if I'm being honest."

From the BBC sport website.

How can you not even know where he is?! This needs to be sorted now and he may or may not be on holiday?

That's pretty poor if you ask me and this is descending into a bit of a farse.

"James isn't in with us today," said the Motherwell boss. "I don't even know if he is still on holiday if I'm being honest."

From the BBC sport website.

How can you not even know where he is?! This needs to be sorted now and he may or may not be on holiday?

That's pretty poor if you ask me and this is descending into a bit of a farse.

I agree with this - it comes over quite badly.

That said - let's face it - we are a nice last resort for Faddy and nothing more (and to be fair - he has never pretended otherwise). If he doesn't get an offer that works for him and his family, he's always got 'Well to fall back on. Personally, I've got no issue with that, although I'd imagine some 'Well fans will - but one thing is certain, we can't build our team around him - we just need to get on with it and see where we are at the end of August. It's frustrating as he is the one guy that could make a wee difference if we got a winnable tie in Europe but there is practically zero chance of him being involved in those games regardless. It will be interesting to see if his stock is as high elsewhere as it is at Fir Park....

Archived