Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Hollis is away as well, going by the confirmed squad numbers for next season.

There was no way Hollis was being re-signed. He wasn't very good, injury prone and we already had Neilsen signed up for another year.

Interesting from the squad numbers that Twardzik has taken 12 from Gunnar, who is now 13 with no keeper with 1. There were photos from the first training session and Gunnar was nowhere to be found. Maybe we have told him to try and find a new club and are still looking for a goalie to come in and be first choice, probably on a loan deal.

Cummins doesn't appear to be in the plans if you take much from the squad numbers. His no.15 shirt from last season is now vacant with him being given the no.23 shirt.

Has Higdon said anywhere he wants to leave NEC? I know he's got a contract there for next season, but he's been linked with a few clubs in England.

Apparently Chesterfield have made him their number 1 target

He is free to talk to clubs - no mention of whether he can move without a transfer fee or whether they may want a fee

Cummins doesn't appear to be in the plans if you take much from the squad numbers. His no.15 shirt from last season is now vacant with him being given the no.23 shirt.

He was absolutely brutal for us. If he's in Motherwell's first team plans I worry about your chances of finishing best of the rest considering you seem to have our former number 2/3 as your number 1 goalkeeper so far. Obviously I expect you lot to finish far, far in front but if Twardzik and Cummins are even near being first picks then there's no reason why we shouldn't feel confident grabbing a goal or two in the matchs between us.

The lad Murray looked a little slow to be honest. Doesn't concern me that he has left the club.

Goalkeeping situation still concerns me. Gunnar is murder and despite having a good loan spell Dan isn't good enough to be number 1.

He was absolutely brutal for us. If he's in Motherwell's first team plans I worry about your chances of finishing best of the rest considering you seem to have our former number 2/3 as your number 1 goalkeeper so far. Obviously I expect you lot to finish far, far in front but if Twardzik and Cummins are even near being first picks then there's no reason why we shouldn't feel confident grabbing a goal or two in the matchs between us.

That's a bit harsh on both players I think. Cummins was brutal but how many games did he play? Not really enough game time to judge him properly I don't think. And twardzick got even less game time but when he did play, he was brilliant.

Luckily, McPake loves giving us goals, so I imagine we'll cope.

Goalkeeping situation still concerns me. Gunnar is murder and despite having a good loan spell Dan isn't good enough to be number 1.

You may well be proved correct, but that is some harsh assumption.

Guy plays 5 games for us. We win ALL 5 GAMES and he keeps 3 CLEAN SHEETS

God knows what you would be thinking if he did not have a perfect record

You may well be proved correct, but that is some harsh assumption.

Guy plays 5 games for us. We win ALL 5 GAMES and he keeps 3 CLEAN SHEETS

God knows what you would be thinking if he did not have a perfect record

Wouldn't be my first choice due to his lack of stature but as you say he didn't do an awful lot wrong in his loan spell with us did he?

I wasn't exactly delighted when I heard that he had signed but I'm going to reserve judgement. He did do decent when he was here over Christmas but his small stature and lack of games for Dundee don't fill me with the greatest of confidence.

The fact that McCall/Marshall obviously like the look of him means I'm hopeful. The fact that we signed him up right early means they were also happy to have him without waiting or looking for other targets. I do feel he may have been the cheap option however, although it's probably necessary considering we'll be paying a first team wage to our sub keeper (Nielsen).

Twardzik came in and did a good job in his loan spell. He looked to have a lot more confidence about him than either of our other two keepers and he made what for me was the best save of the season by a Motherwell keeper against Partick. As for his stature, Nielsen is a big goalkeeper but are you happy with his performance at high balls and crosses? I don't think it will be any bigger a problem than it has been.

My concern is the paucity of our squad. For me we have maybe 8 proven players in our squad, that's not even a full eleven. The rest you would have to say there are question marks over or they are just dross.

We need at least 3 players to come in before I'd be confident we could have another good season like last term. We are crying out for a dominant centre half, a wide midfielder and a striker that can play off Sutton. Basically replacements for Hutchinson, McFadden and Anier.

Right now the squad lacks options, quality and balance.

Archived