The East Fife Thread

I agree have to be careful in what we wish for. I can see this league being a bit tougher next season we could have at least one of Cove, Falkirk or Thistle still in the league. Queen’s Park being bankrolled up the leagues and the possibility of maybe another full time side falling out of the Championship.

42 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

He might get a chance to visit next season. 

Airdrie seem to be hitting form at the right time. Only six points off top spot and will likely have a bit of momentum going into the promotion playoffs. 

No need for any chat about promotion playoffs in this topic. Again. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

No need for any chat about promotion playoffs in this topic. Again. 

To be fair, I don't see any sane EF supporter expecting us to reach the dizzy heights of the Championship. The 1st is our level at best and we're a pretty decent fit. We'll hover between the 1st and 2nd for the next 50 years if we're lucky and I doubt very much the board share the ambition also. (I'm happy to stand corrected on that one but I won't believe a word of it). 

Young is bang average for this level and I could never understand why he felt he was capable of moving to a bigger full time outfit.  He's not a bad manager in the slightest but I don't think he's a particular good one either. He's average. Do I want him out? Not in the slightest but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left. He's the level of manager we'll get and in his defence he was responsible for dishing out a few pumping's to our lino brethren which is probably as good as it's going to get for a wee club like East Fife.

Getting to the playoffs would have been good just for the added value/buzz call it what you want, but that's where it ends for us, as it does any season it this league. We'd end up being another Brechin if we miraculously went up and look how that turned out. Sane supporters know that and I'm sure the board do too. Not going to happen.

Am I disappointed at tonight's result? Nah. You get used to it.

Me personally, I'd like to see bigger leagues (16/18) as this playing each other 4 times a year is just ridiculous and monotonous.  How that works god only knows but something has to change. Playing Clyde (no disrespect intended) or any team for that matter 4 times in 10 months is just fucking soul destroying and not healthy for the game. No wonder players look like they don't give a f**k in many games. I actually feel sorry for them.

I've actually not missed the football this past year. I hope I get my mojo back but my expectations of following EF are realistic.

Good to see the Rovers doing well though. Didn't see that one coming. 👌

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

To be fair, I don't see any sane EF supporter expecting us to reach the dizzy heights of the Championship. The 1st is our level at best and we're a pretty decent fit. We'll hover between the 1st and 2nd for the next 50 years if we're lucky and I doubt very much the board share the ambition also. (I'm happy to stand corrected on that one but I won't believe a word of it). 

Young is bang average for this level and I could never understand why he felt he was capable of moving to a bigger full time outfit.  He's not a bad manager in the slightest but I don't think he's a particular good one either. He's average. Do I want him out? Not in the slightest but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left. He's the level of manager we'll get and in his defence he was responsible for dishing out a few pumping's to our lino brethren which is probably as good as it's going to get for a wee club like East Fife.

Getting to the playoffs would have been good just for the added value/buzz call it what you want, but that's where it ends for us, as it does any season it this league. We'd end up being another Brechin if we miraculously went up and look how that turned out. Sane supporters know that and I'm sure the board do too. Not going to happen.

Am I disappointed at tonight's result? Nah. You get used to it.

Me personally, I'd like to see bigger leagues (16/18) as this playing each other 4 times a year is just ridiculous and monotonous.  How that works god only knows but something has to change. Playing Clyde (no disrespect intended) or any team for that matter 4 times in 10 months is just fucking soul destroying and not healthy for the game. No wonder players look like they don't give a f**k in many games. I actually feel sorry for them.

I've actually not missed the football this past year. I hope I get my mojo back but my expectations of following EF are realistic.

Good to see the Rovers doing well though. Didn't see that one coming. 👌

You and me both...but maybe you can flog DY off to Falkirk?

Agree mostly with what Stevo's said above. We're in a difficult position where we're all feeling quite disappointed because we're in pretty much the same position again at the end of a season that started with a lot of promise, but has fallen away again. As has been mentioned before, mid table in League 1 is exactly what I would deem "our level" as it were so it's hard to justify getting absolutely raging at finishing there so often. As for tonight, the performance was OK, players look knackered frankly. Brown up front hasn't worked out as a signing, it was always going to be impossible to replace Hamilton but I'm not sure he's cut out for this level. But that's our season over, I'll still try remember to buy the last couple of streams. Without being at the games, I too am feeling a similar apathy to the football and hope that fans can be let in ASAP. 

I think Darren's been a decent manager overall for East Fife. If you look at recruitment, I think we've signed well overall whilst as always having one of two that didn't work out. I certainly feel a bit more of an affiliation to this squad that I've ever felt to one in the 10-15 years I've supported the club. I actually think Darren's relative success in terms of recruitment is what frustrates fans at the moment, because I personally believe that with the players we've had we should have qualified for the playoffs at least once in the past few years. Football at this level is cyclical so when you end up assembling a decent squad you have to take advantage of it, and I don't think we have. For me, that's the reason that DY isn't getting a job elsewhere, because I don't think he's proving that he's capable of taking us up another level or squeezing the maximum from a group of players. Maybe that makes us a bit of a perfect fit, as managers at this level are the same as players, as soon as they prove they're good, they're away as quickly as they arrived. So as much as I do empathise with the "YOUNG OUT" folk, I've calmed down a bit since the end of the game and similarly to the above take a bit more of a middle ground of not being that fussed if he's away and not that fussed if he stays.

Just looking at TransferMarkt so this might not be right, we have Wallace, Agnew, Swanson, Dunlop, Davidson, Dunsmore and Newton signed up for next year. Agnew has been linked with Darvel since the start of the season, I've no idea the truth in that, but I wouldn't mind if he was away. He's been a fantastic player for us but he's had a poor year and that's another year older for him. Swanson's been a very disappointing signing but he was starting to look OK towards the end of the season. Hopefully he kicks on next year. 

As for the rest, I'd be fine to keep Slattery, Murdoch, Watson, Denholm and Long. I thought this might be Higgins last year but he's been very solid the last couple of months. I suspect Long may be away this year, which I'll be gutted by as he's a good keeper. Kev another one that's pushing on a bit, do love him though.  So as I type that, I'm basically realising that I'm relatively happy to keep the majority of the squad. But if we want to push on, the loans and signings need to improve whatever position they're in. It will be another tough league next year now that big spending QP will be here, and they'll likely be the favourites. If we sign squad fillers in the summer, and continue without signing a left back as we have done for some time, we won't be getting the playoffs again. 

PS - I'd also prefer the leagues to be 16 teams, twice home and away followed by 7 game split with expanded playoffs, but anything that changes the league structure will likely end up with the Colts attempting to be shoehorned in and clubs in the top flight would have to vote for more relegation spaces. I don't want the former at all, the latter is unlikely to happen. 

Edited by Big Fifer

Think if you look back over the 18 games two things really stand out for me. Our game management at times is very naive. 2 goals up at home to Montrose and Partick Thistle and couldn’t see it out. Our away form is alarming on our visits to the top 5 teams we managed one solitary goal up at Cove on first game of the season. You would need to have a brilliant defence to give you a sniff of a chance.. However as we all know our inability to defend cross balls hardly ever allows for a clean sheet. Will be difficult to pick ourselves up of the floor for 4 remaining games. 

Felt east fife looked like they were happy to play for a draw and see what happened. Never really threatened us then when airdrie stepped it up it caught you off guard and couldnt match it. Could be a fitness thing as schedule has been hard. Unlucky in the end with the goal difference.

Agree with making the league larger and doing a split. Whilst this season has not been normal, due to the split and shortened nature, it has been bloody entertaining. Moreso because of falkirk making an arse of it

Bottom line DY had resources and a good squad, failed to maximise either. So content to let him go.
TBH don't get the "careful what you ask for" routine, too many caught up in the DY appriciation society.
DY flattered to deceive IMO. We have all been at games where you can see the opposition getting a head off steam up before they score, DY does nothing to address that then when enevitable happens, DY throws arms in air, kicks the water bottle and turns to the fans with an angry face as to blame everyone else.
You never know we might get a manager that improves the goals lost at corners statistics that DY has never managed to address.

His contract is up for renewal but be careful what you wish for you would expect Patrick, Falkirk, Airdrie and Cove to be in top half as 3 of them full time and all will have a much larger budget than Darren. Montrose punching above their weight getting in top 5 but we only lost out by one goal. That’s not saying that some players have had their time and a good fresh up of the squad is required.

Decided to wait 24 hours before posting. I agree with much of what Stevo & Big Fifer have said. I also said after the Partick game, that late goal would come back to haunt us.

I don't think we should be changing for changes sake. We have a steady board, manager who has been in post for longer than most & a squad that's been settled for a while with some real characters we can relate too. Maybe we've become too settled & have gotten into a comfort zone.

The amount of games has definitely caught up with us & it can't be easy for the players with no crowds to give them a lift when we're struggling, I know I've found it hard to keep interest. 

Wouldn't lose sleep if the manager's contract wasn't renewed, but I'm not calling for his head either. Maybe we'll see a better team now the pressures off & at least we don't need to travel to Dumbarton or Peterhead.

Disappointed but not disillusioned. 

Edited by Life on Marrs?

Decided to wait 24 hours before posting. I agree with much of what Stevo & Big Fifer have said. I also said after the Partick game, that late goal would come back to haunt us.
I don't think we should be changing for changes sake. We have a steady board, manager who has been in post for longer than most & a squad that's been settled for a while with some real characters we can relate too. Maybe we've become too settled & have gotten into a comfort zone.
The amount of games has definitely caught up with us & it can't be easy for the players with no crowds to give them a lift when we're struggling, I know I've found it hard to keep interest. 
Wouldn't lose sleep if the manager's contract wasn't renewed, but I'm not calling for his head either. Maybe we'll see a better team now the pressures off & at least we don't need to travel to Dumbarton or Peterhead.
Disappointed but not disillusioned. 

Still gutted. Gutted because just new the Thistle late , late equaliser would come back to haunt us!Gutted because if we were able to have kept either Hamilton or Austin for slightly longer periods ,feel we would of got comfortably got in the top 5. Gutted because on our day we could beat any of the teams above us.Do feel we have been unlucky but understand the view that we have fallen short again at the last hurdle.

For me, I would try to learn and go again with the same leadership. We have assembled the best team we have had in years under Darren with the Boards excellent support. Changes will be required in the team with players moving on, but Darren has a good record of finding players. Ferguson went 5 years at United and won nothing( ok wouldn’t survive that today in this social media frenzy) didn’t do too badly afterwards.

Just think standing back from the day Darren came in the front door to now we have improved significantly. Change has its risks- provided Darren and Tony are still up for it- think we should go again....

Put me firmly in the 'stick with Darren Young' camp.

It's obviously frustrating to come so close and just miss out yet again but as others have mentioned, this is a tough league. Resources are important in football. Rangers and Celtic are the top two in the Premier because they have the biggest budgets. Hearts won the Championship because they have the biggest budget, Partick, Falkirk and Cove are the top 3 in L1 because they have the biggest budgets, Queen's Park won L2 because they have the biggest budget. Brora and Kelty 'won' the HL/LL because they have the biggest budget. It's not impossible to overcome but it is difficult. Partick, Falkirk, Cove, and Airdrie will all have bigger budgets than us. Points-wise, we're not far off them at all.

There are definitely areas to improve on and I'd agree we probably need a bit of fresh blood into the squad but we've not been a bad team under Darren Young at all. And I'd be more confident going into next season with Darren and Tony in charge, having a chance to make the changes we need to make than taking a gamble on a new manager.

Meh, season over.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some of the younger players getting more game time now that the season is finished.

I think the squad will certainly need a bit of a freshen up over the summer with a lot of players now into their 30’s. The last game against Airdrie, our youngest player (out with the loanees) was Dunsmore and Long at 24. The game against Peterhead, Davidson was our youngest player at 27. We have an ageing squad so a bit of a rebuild is on the cards.

Darren saying in interview after game that we couldn’t field our strongest team on Tuesday because some of the players couldn’t get time of work. When your full time like Airdrie, Partick and Falkirk your not going to run into those obstacles. Airdrie had a full week to prepare for that game and they are full time a bigger advantage you couldn’t ask for.